Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the october issue of car and driver..they report IS300 0 to 60 in 7.6 second and quarter mile in 15.9...Is car and driver slow or is it the IS300??????

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think what they should do is test the IS again in about 2 months when the car has at least 5000 miles. The car is faster once you have properly broken in, and I think everyone agree on this.
I remember either Road & Track or Car and Driver did a test few years ago with a Camry. They had the car tested when it was brand new and when it had 30,000 miles on it. The car was a few tenths of second faster with 30,000 miles than when it was brand new. Also, the car's mileage improved when compared.
I guess we should just wait.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
then how does lexus come up with 7.1 and 15.3..u think they drive an IS300 until it reaches 5000 miles before testing it?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i think they hand assemble the engine and make sure everything is perfect and its the absolute best conditions going down a hill =)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Mind you that Car and Driver is very biased AGAINST the IS on their first test......If October issue article is written by Tony Swan, he actually dislikes the IS very much!!!!(He wrote the earlier issue AND some other review for a newspaper......)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think accusing C&D of bias is kind of a stretch given how consistent the test is with other magazines. Face it guys, my 89 325i with a chip would hang with an IS300 no problem. You still enjoy driving though so who cares? Unless a car is in the mid-5's to low-6's it is not really worth getting all worked up about acceleration times.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I'm not trying to flame you (S38 and Clam) but dammit what are you guys even doing here with such a bias towards BMW? Voyeurism? I don't get it.

[This message has been edited by brad (edited September 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
brad i usually stick around here casue its a bit easier to follow than the bimmer board and there's some interesting topics taht come up....lately i haven't flamed as much(only to stockis3 and yamaot) because i guess i'm seeing stuff from the other side...that's another reason i'm here, i want a different perspective on how stuff is in the car world :p

·
Registered
511 Posts
To piss you off Brad, it's just so easy.:)

Anyway, I do go to other boards and have to say without exception BMW's get a bum rap more than any other car. I don't know if it is compliment, jealousy, envy or just plain hate for their snobby owners like me. So, I figure I might as well pipe up and express a different opinion. Especially when the comments are completely untrue or inacurrate. I would expect you to do the same if there is an IS300 thread on bimmer.org.

Brad, I also generally like cars, not just one. Information is power.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
FYI: That Car and Driver article shows the IS300 at 3380lbs... (110 more than Lexus quotes). I am sure the extra weight would slow it down some, but why does it weigh more than the 3270lbs that Lexus publishes???

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure why the extra weight is there. Perhaps it may be because of the options on the car? A moonroof itself could add quite a few lbs (because of the glass, motors, etc). Then you've got the power seats, homelink, etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bear in mind that the weight figures shown in Brochures for ANY makers/models are ALWAYS shown in basic form of that specific model, that is, the model w/out all the options listed by makers. Factor in the options, and country-spec(Euro-Spec, US-Spec, Asia-Spec...etc) differences, the weight will vary, in some cases/models/brands, alot....

Andy Kuo

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

http://akry.homestead.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts