Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i find out what it could be after i take it off?

i noticed my wheel was low so i cheked it, damn thing had .9lbs of pressure!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
check the outter tire for nails...if none found then fill the tire up with air then sprayaround the treads, beads and tire valve , the leak will create consistent bubbles.
oh yea make sure that the valve is tight also. GL

sorry i meant to say spray with with soapy water

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.. these f'n wheels have been nothing but trouble =(

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
First visual examination, if there is nothing noticeable then fill it up with air and put the wheel in a dipping tank. Most likely you'll find it's a bad bead or bad valve stem. If it's a multi-piece rim, the leak can be a bad silicone seal between rim halves.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Have you found your source of leakage yet?

Is your tire stretched out by any chance?

A stretched tire are prone to having the bead and rim to disengage from eachother from time to time. At this point moisture gets in contact with the wheel causing corrossion to build up on the wheel which will give the air a pathway between tire's bead and rim. Normally with something like this even placing it in a tank of water will be useless because the leak is so minute that you will not be able to tell. This happened to De (Sophiesleeps) old Volks SF. I dismounted the tires clean the wheel and through on a layer of bead sealer to help seal the bead. Since then I dont think he had any problems with it..

Reactions: the wrong tone

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
damn nail.. gotta get it plugged

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
Thought I'd bump this. I have a very slow leak in my driver side rear tire, as in it goes from 35psi to 16psi in about 2.5 days. I noticed it after I had a blowout on the passenger rear. I did a visual inspection...nothing. So I took it to Sears, they dipped it...nothing. I guess I'll have to take it back, have them take the tire off, clean the bead, and re-mount it.

That's good intel, Eminence. Have some rep.

·
Registered
300 Posts
the wrong tone said:
Thought I'd bump this. I have a very slow leak in my driver side rear tire, as in it goes from 35psi to 16psi in about 2.5 days. I noticed it after I had a blowout on the passenger rear. I did a visual inspection...nothing. So I took it to Sears, they dipped it...nothing. I guess I'll have to take it back, have them take the tire off, clean the bead, and re-mount it.

I've seen whereby in the dipping, they may have not dipped deep enough to the back and inside side of the rims, lo and behold, a slight crack in the middle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts