Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, with only 6322 miles on my 5 speed, I need a new slave cylinder.
Luckily my warranty is covering it, but why would I have this problem so early in my IS'S life? Will I have to f*** around with buying a new slave cylinder at every 6000 miles? Any one else with this problem?
:-?

Jane

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
welcome to the wonderfull word of the 5spd. no seriously, some people have problems with em' some don't. at 15k mine is starting to sound kinda funny..... so i'm sure i'll be having to take it in before 20k.

good luck with it!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
igottuned said:
Luckily my warranty is covering it, but why would I have this problem so early in my IS'S life? Will I have to f*** around with buying a new slave cylinder at every 6000 miles? Any one else with this problem?

Jane
are they replacing the rubber line that is attached to it also?
skot

·
Registered
935 Posts
igottuned said:

Jane
Maybe they are just putting the updated one in there?

·
Registered
143 Posts
igottuned said:

Jane
what was the problem with the car?
most of the time the dealer will war. other componants just to be safe. so if the replace some thing other then the exact problem part there just covering their butts so you dont have to come back.
skot

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skotwon said:
igottuned said:

Jane
what was the problem with the car?
most of the time the dealer will war. other componants just to be safe. so if the replace some thing other then the exact problem part there just covering their butts so you dont have to come back.
skot
The problem started 2 months ago when my clutch would make a squeeking sound when the the pedal was depressed. At first it was intermitent. I pinpointed the noise coming from the slave cylinder. I would pry away a portion of the block boot, put some lithium grease in there and the squeeking would stop. However, two weeks later it was back. Same scenarioe for 2 months. Finally, the squeeking wouldn't go away, so I took it to my dealership, talked to the tech., told him the situation, we checked it out together, and he came to the same conclusion that it was the slave cyclinder. My dealership isn't into fuckn' customers over, there replacing the exact part at no charge.

Jane

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wjbertrand said:
igottuned said:

Jane

Updated? Updated as in for the '04 5 speed models, or they realized that the slave cylinder that they put in the '03 models have a lot of problems. Do you happen to know the difference between the two? Is it a difference in the type of internal hydraulic system they use (I think the slave cylinder is a hydraulic cylinder, please correct me if I am wrong). I just don't want the problem to keep on coming back.

Jane

·
Registered
935 Posts
igottuned said:
wjbertrand said:
igottuned said:

Jane

Updated? Updated as in for the '04 5 speed models, or they realized that the slave cylinder that they put in the '03 models have a lot of problems. Do you happen to know the difference between the two? Is it a difference in the type of internal hydraulic system they use (I think the slave cylinder is a hydraulic cylinder, please correct me if I am wrong). I just don't want the problem to keep on coming back.

Jane
I'm not sure what the differences are but it's apparently related to squeaky clutch problems. A couple of netters have reported having these installed. The slave cylinder is indeed a hydraulic cylinder, not much to them at all. The manufacturer can engineer throw and pedal effort by adjusting the relative diameters of the master and slave cylinders as well as the stroke of the master. I wonder if they made such an adjustment in the updated one. I'd be interested to know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts