Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Japcarfan:
Why does Motorex sell R35 if Nissan is also going to bring it here?
wtf!?!?
i dont get ur question.

motorex has been importing and converting skylines for years.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
what japcarfan means is... why is an importer needed when the cars are already being imported by the actual manufacturer.... in other words... if there are hondas in the US why would u need to import them yourself... get my drift ? anyway... that new R35 is FUGLY~!!!! and for japcarfan.... nissan/infiniti is only selling the R35 in the US... you still need MotorEX to import R32`s, R33`s, R34`s and any GT-R and V-spec models.... i highly doubt that nissan/infinit will sell any GT-R or v spec versions to the US public.... if there are any....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Questions for all - How many HP is the R35 engine will produce or diferrences (in horsepower)between R32`s, R33`s, R34`s and any GT-R and V-spec models???? Thanks

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
We need to get something clear first. This Skyline people are mention has very little to do with the Skyline GTR coupe everybody likes. It is difficult to tell what the new GT R will look like because it will be nothing like the sedan. Nissan has said that already.
As for R35 GT-R coming here, the chance is pretty much 100% guaranteed. R35 is made in two different versions, one using a R390 engine and another using a bored out RB26DETT. The one using the RB26DETT should be bored out to 2.8 or 3.0L TT engine, and only for JDM. The one using the R390 engine will be N/A, and should produced around 450HP, or so people said, and this is the car for the rest of the world. Most of the articles I have read are saying that this car will be made outside of Japan, so they can bypass the 280HP limit.

BTW, current R34 GT-R probably has about 340 to 350 HP, because Nissan really underrate their engines alot (to pass the 280HP rule).

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
so the R35 GT-R is gonna be released when in the US? and that article said like 22k for it? and it will be 450 hp?
hmmm if this is all tru... Imma get a skyline!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, here we go:

First Nissan is separating the Skyline and GTR names. The Skyline is now coded V35, and will become the Infiniti G35 in the USA to compete with the IS300, BMW 3 series, A4...etc... It will not, repeat, will not be associated with the R35 GTR, which will only be called GTR (not Skyline GTR)...well they might share a platform, but won't look anything alike.

So there you have it, the new Skyline in Japan will be the Infinit G35 here, will be 4 and eventually 2 door, RWD, 3.5 V6. The GTR, the R35 GTR, can only be speculated towards.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The $22K price tag is for the Skyline sedan or the Infinity G35, whichever market you look at.
As for R35 GT-R, the price is not yet set. It will most likely be no less than the current price, which is slightly above $50k. I don't think Nissan has it set yet, and I have heard so many different price for the international version, ranging from $50K to over $100K. If it comes around $50K, it will be a bargain because of its high tech package. If it comes around $100K, then it may be too pricey for most people to buy. Anyway, just wait couple years, and we will know.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
The lastest article i remember reading (i think) is that its gonna be an Infiniti G35? or R35? that will have a NA engine at 260hp like the one that will be seen in the new Z.

It will be a 4-door sedan car to compete with the IS3, BMW 3-series.

Either way, it looks fugly as hell.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I totally disagree with Daniel and agree more with djcunnin. If you go to Nissan's Japanese site: Skyline. You will see the new Skyline. Front looks like they copied the Lexus SC430 a bit and the rest of the body resembles a Nissan Altima, haha. My honest opinion? Its kind of ugly. GT-R will be a seperate model and who knows if it'll make it to the US. Check out the site and you'll see the 260PS rating for the Skyline which is more like 256HP and then with emissions conversion for US market, the horsepower can only drop, slightyly hopefully.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by Daniel:
The $22K price tag is for the Skyline sedan or the Infinity G35, whichever market you look at.
What is the source of this pricing info?

I've been in debates/heated discussions with other people on other websites, voicing the opinion that:

1. The G35 is too large (read: heavy) and too powerful to be an IS/3-series/C-class/X-type competitor. It is much closer in dimensions/displacement/power to the mid-size luxury class (GS/5-series/E-class/S-Type).

5-series: 111.4"WB X 188.0"L X 70.9"W X 55.7"H
GS: 110.2"WB X 189.2"L X 70.9"W X 56.7"H
E-class: 111.5"WB X 189.4"L X 70.8"W X 56.7"
Skyline: 112.2"WB X 184.0"L X 68.9"W X 57.9"H
IS: 105.1"WB X 176.6"L X 67.7"W X 55.5"H

And remember that these dimensions for the Skyline are sans the US-necessary 5-mph bumpers.

2. Previous Skylines have never been compact cars. They've always been mid-size, bordering on large. Although there are precedents for slow growth in the size of a car model over the years, there is virtually no precedent for suddenly shrinking down an entire size class. (The only one I can think of is the Chevy Impala. But that's a terrible example for Nissan to look to, since people loved the old one and mostly despise the new one.)

3. Infiniti would be smart to cultivate their prestige in Lexus' footsteps. You put yourself on the map with your flagship. Using the prestige conferred by that flagship, you build your model line from the top down, with the larger models conferring prestige to the smaller, cheaper, inherently less-prestigious models. You can't build the prestige of a marque starting with something like the Hyundai Excel and expect people to view the later Sonata as prestigious. Jumping around in the model line is almost as iffy. Coming back to competitiveness from their unpopular previous-gen Q45 was a good start. Following it up with a midsize-RWD-class challenger amongst aging competitors would be a much better idea than going mano-a-mano amongst the suddenly crowded compact-RWD-class.

4. $22,000, even base for a complete stripper, is impossible. Besides being kind of impossible to build a RWD car of that size, displacement, and content for that price without resorting to paper-mache (Infiniti Trabbies, anyone?), that kind of pricing will decimate all sales of the I35 and Maximas. The swath of model cannibalism will be wide enough to even affect Q45 and Altima sales.

As for the R35 GT-R, here is a BestCar guesstimate that I'm sure some of you have seen before:

Notice the resemblence to the Skyline. For Renault-controlled Nissan, that alone convinces me that this is much more likely than any of the other super-swoopy tinted-headlight/Ferrari mesh rear (do they even know that the Ferraris that have mesh rears have it because of their mid-engine configuration???
) doodles we've seen.

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: DtEW ]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I totally disagree with Daniel and agree more with djcunnin. If you go to Nissan's Japanese site: Skyline. You will see the new Skyline. Front looks like they copied the Lexus SC430 a bit and the rest of the body resembles a Nissan Altima, haha. My honest opinion? Its kind of ugly. GT-R will be a seperate model and who knows if it'll make it to the US. Check out the site and you'll see the 260PS rating for the Skyline which is more like 256HP and then with emissions conversion for US market, the horsepower can only drop, slightyly hopefully.
So which part do you no agree? I said the current Skyline (the sedan) is coming here as a G35, and that the coupe is coming out in 2003 and will be build in two versions. This rumor has been going around since late 1999, and the only thing people aren't sure is which engine Nissan will use in the international version of GT-R. The rumored R390 engine is a great engine, but maybe too expensive if they want to keep the car under $60K. The other engine in question is the Q45 engine, but that is much heavier engine and less potent compare to the R390 engine.

And Dtew, the price I got was from Speedvision article and Nissan's Japanese site I believe. This car comes with 2 engine, and I believe the RB26??? is going for $22000 or so. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The top-of-the-line S15 Silvia costs around 22k USD, so why would the Skyline cost that much too? Wouldn't that cannibalize sales?

·
8,107 Posts
I have a brochure for the new Skyline I picked up in Tokyo last week. Pricing starts at $25,000 and $30,000 for the 2.5 and 3.0L cars. US pricing will probably be higher, since they usually are for Japanese luxury brands. There are some pics in the brochure where the car has body kits and spoiler, and looks really nice & sporty. But it's automatic only, even in Japan, so it's not a 3 series or IS300 competitor. (not to mention size, someone already explained that)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Sorry, I apologize for the price. I just checked the Japanese site and the Skyline 300GT is about $26.6K and the 250GT is about $22.5K. I guess I got mixed up on some of the other numbers.

One question I do have is what can Infinity do to justify the increase of the price? This car is incredibly luxurious, it it not like Altezza vs. IS300. This car has got interior more like that of GS300, probably better, and if Nissan can sell it as G35 and keep it under $30K like it is in Japan, I think Lexus and others may have to be careful.

·
Registered
155 Posts
As for the R35 GT-R, here is a BestCar guesstimate that I'm sure some of you have seen before:
Here is the latest pic (looks like the new Z mixed with the XVL(G35)). I like it!

Scrap.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by Daniel:
So which part do you no agree? I said the current Skyline (the sedan) is coming here as a G35, and that the coupe is coming out in 2003 and will be build in two versions. This rumor has been going around since late 1999...
Sorry if I sounded rude; it came out wrong. But here is what I disagree about your comments:

-"As for R35 GT-R coming here, the chance is pretty much 100% guaranteed."

The GT-R has not been guaranteed to come here. Only the Skyline is as the G35 as mentioned. Nissan!

-"The one using the R390 engine will be N/A, and should produced around 450HP..."

I do not think Nissan would produce a 450HP NA engine. Even if its controlled by Ranault now, I still see it as very doubtful, just my opinion.

-". The one using the RB26DETT should be bored out to 2.8 or 3.0L TT engine, and only for JDM"

If the the RB series engine were to be bored out to 2.8 or even 3.0 liters then the engine would be dubbed either RB28DETT or RB30DETT and not the R34's RB26DETT.

-"this car will be made outside of Japan, so they can bypass the 280HP limit."

It is my personal opinion that this is just a rumor. Skyline and GT-R may now be two different models but I believe they still share the basic platform in some way or fashion. The Skylines are still built in Japan so it is likely that the GT-R will be built there too.

-"The $22K price tag is for the Skyline sedan "

This I truely doubt because it would compete with the lesser valued cars. Also, if it was this cheap, I would hate to see what parts of the car they cut the quality in.

Please don't take my previous statement personal. Here are what I disagreed and I welcome any counter arguments.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
nah, I wasn't taking your comment personally. Just saw it and type something quick without thinking about it.
Actually, the 450HP R390 engineis just a rumor I heard, but a rumor that have been mentioned at various sources. I believe it was actually mentioned in either Car and Drivers or Road and Tracks. Anyway, like I said, it depends on what Nissan wants to do with the car. If they really think they can compete with the exotic, then I think they may put that engine in.
As for GT-R build outside of Japan, that is just me passing something I heard on. I believe I have always said "I heard" or "rumor has", if not, sorry. I also kind of doubt this, but you never know. Nissan will probably do anything they can to restore their image.

And for the price of the Skyline sedan, it was my mistake. You can read my earlier post that I correct that number. I guess I was thinking about something else, and that number just pop into my head.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
Daniel
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing