Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill ask in here since there is more DIY's in here then anywhere.

If you buy a craftsmen socket does it fall under the lifetime warranty if it strips out?

I have 3 stripped lugnuts and i bought the craftsman lugnut removal kit and got one lug off the other lug won the war between the socket and the lug and now its completely stripped. Will sears return it? I gotta get these other 2 off so i can fix my coilovers.

Edit: We should have a tools forum that would be pretty sweet to see what everyone uses and people givin reviews on what they bought that is awesome and what sucks

·
Registered
185 Posts
From what I understand, all "Craftsman" hand tools are guaranteed for life. They will replace if it is broken in any way. You should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe craftsman needs to talk with the lugnut company to learn how to make something indestructible lol

Any input on the tools forum? I guess im a tool geek i like to see what new shit is out and what people are using. I gotta buy some new ramps any suggestions? My car is slammed so i need to be able to get up on em

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
pretty much every NON-motorized craftsman tool is covered absolutely no questions asks... I would say a socket would most DEFINITELY be covered... I wouldn't hesitate another moment on taking it back and getting a new one...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
about a tools forum... i don't own anything worth mentioning but plan on getting a couple sets, some specialized, so I wouldn't mind reading the input that other readers and DIYers have to offer...

I'm sure the pretty much everyone already agrees that craftsman professional, mac and snap on are defacto industry standards... with many specialty shops probably favoring the latter two for whatever reason... I know there are some good off-brand tool companies that offer full lifetime, no q's asked warranties also... would like to know what if any experiences people have had with those brands...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Man talk about tools. LOL you should see the tools that I use to take apart motors and do all my work with. My mechanic friends car it the "wonder box" (plastic container with pos tools in it). They are amazed on how the hell I do all the work that I do with so little tools. Hahahaha. But anyways craftsman will replace your tool.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
OKCIS said:
Ill ask in here since there is more DIY's in here then anywhere.

If you buy a craftsmen socket does it fall under the lifetime warranty if it strips out?

I have 3 stripped lugnuts and i bought the craftsman lugnut removal kit and got one lug off the other lug won the war between the socket and the lug and now its completely stripped. Will sears return it? I gotta get these other 2 off so i can fix my coilovers.

Edit: We should have a tools forum that would be pretty sweet to see what everyone uses and people givin reviews on what they bought that is awesome and what sucks
Craftsman warranties their stuff.

What you should be wondering is why you need a lugnut removal tool.

In my experience, impact sockets and tools are a night and day difference between forged. And non-forged tools just plain suck ass. I never use them if possible.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SophieSleeps said:
Craftsman warranties their stuff.

What you should be wondering is why you need a lugnut removal tool.

In my experience, impact sockets and tools are a night and day difference between forged. And non-forged tools just plain suck ass. I never use them if possible.

I think i know why its multiple reasons.
1. i put them on with an impact instead of a torque wrench cause i was lazy.
2. They are shitty lugnuts youd have to see them first thing you would say is wtf i wouldnt put those on my car. Its all i had available at the time and i meant for them to be on no longer then 2 days but it went 3 weeks and 3 of them on the same wheel ended up stripped out.
3. I think they may be rusted on im not sure yet but im thinking they are cause they didnt even budge with the lugnut removal tool. 1 of them came off but the other 2 not even close.

And while were at it if anyone knows anyway of getting these things off without destroying my rim id love to hear it cause all the ideas ive heard so far ive tried and nothing has worked and im really not wanting to heat up the lug or take an airhammer to it unless you have an airhammer idea that wont scratch my rims

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
get a couple cans of pb blaster and spray them bitches down about every 10-15 minutes... also after doing this a few times take a dead blow and give those nuts a couple good blows (this helps actually break free some of the deposits) then try using the tool. If this does not work you can try using a torch to heat them up to get them to expand then try using the removal tool again. If none of this works... you might want to take it to a shop which might have a better removal tool... but those steps SHOULD take care of it for you... let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I wouldn't worry about heating the lug... you'd never get it so hot that you would damage anything... unless you were trying too hard... heh

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
I have seen sockets "split" and basically ripped and then returned back to Sears :lol:

They take almost anything

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I actually had the stock wheel locks stuck on the car, which as you know are round. You see the key broke and lexus couldnt get me a new one for a week or so. So I found a forged socket (softer than an impact socket so that it could stretch a bit) that was slightly smaller than the completely round lock, I carefully banged it on as far as I could. Then I took the impact gun leaned on it as hard as I could and it came off, had to do this 4 times, each time cost me the socket so get two of whatever size works for ya, then when your finished, put them in a vice , bang out the stuck lug nut. and return to sears.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Myis300t said:
I actually had the stock wheel locks stuck on the car, which as you know are round. You see the key broke and lexus couldnt get me a new one for a week or so. So I found a forged socket (softer than an impact socket so that it could stretch a bit) that was slightly smaller than the completely round lock, I carefully banged it on as far as I could. Then I took the impact gun leaned on it as hard as I could and it came off, had to do this 4 times, each time cost me the socket so get two of whatever size works for ya, then when your finished, put them in a vice , bang out the stuck lug nut. and return to sears.

They sell socket sets for that. Lolz it is a simple tool, but De couldn't get it to work tho. Anyways Craftsman will replace them, but in my honest opinion Craftsman tools are shitty.

1. They break easily. Ever have a craftsman ratchet? The gears breaks easily and also the gears are alot larger.
2. They are bulky, making it hard to get to tight areas.

I bought one tool from craftsman a 1/2" ratchet, never again will I go with them.

Hands down Snap-on, the best in the industry. They are expensive but believe me, they work wonders.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
I have broken several of my Craftsman sockets. When you take it back to get your free replacement, make sure you get a 6 point socket. All the 12 points are crap and break easily! Pretty soon, you will have a strong set of all 6 point sockets :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
OKCIS said:
I'm all for a tools forum, it would help everyone who is a DIYer and a lot of questions might get answerd also.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
4 grand and i'll get you 10k worth of craftsman tools & boxes ;) Know the guy that runs the midwest sears distro warehouse :)

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All i have is craftsman and Snap-on and this lug nut removal tool is the first problem ive ever had with any of my tools and i bang the hell out of em. All my Ratchets are snap-on though... Well except my torque wrench that i finally broke down and bought this weekend its craftsman

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
pretty much all "craftsman" sockets, rachets, wrenches, and screwdrivers are lifetime guaranteed. the power tools and torque wrenches are not guaranteed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts