Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've spent hours in the sound domain gallery and searching this forum for pics for a trunck setup I can live with. I was set on getting an infinity basslink and everywhere i went from local shops to circuit city the installers were like "You don't want this in your car."

So I'm looking for a custom setup I can bring to a guy locally here at Dynamic audio for ideas. He made great suggestions but i want to see what possibilities are out there for a simple 12" sub and a amp or 2 10" subs and amp custom trunk install. I just want to get an idea for what my loot is paying for. Does anyone have pics of a setup that is simple and not all crazy which doesn't use a pre-fab box...? I'm not for all the neon and flasy stuff. Just want a clean, space saving, stealthy looking trunk. If anyone has pics or suggestions its greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't have pics but I am going to try to explain this setup I have seen done numerous times-----

A piece of wood is cut to surrond the entire trunk and placed inside, allowing many inches between the piece of wood and trunk floor. Then, a hole is cut to accomodate for the sub and the amp is mounted below it, out of sight. The wood is then covered in the fabric of your choice. Do you follow???? Crappy instructions, I know.

I've seen it done, it looks clean. Only problem is that the trunk is not recessed any more so you have to be careful when loading items in. Hope this helps......

Not sure about sound performance either, looks clean tho.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I installed a 12" MTX 1000W sub in my spare tire. Sorry no pics at this time. Yes, I kept the spare.

I made a custom fiberglass fully enclosed box for the sub that sits inside the back part of the rim. Lined the spare with wax plasitic and wax paper formed to the insided of the spare. Our spares sit with the pretty side down in the trunk. I had to get rid of the bucket that sat inside the spare.

Remember that the rim is facing the ground during this process. I placed fiberglass cloth inside spare rim part (over protective stuff) and left lots of overlapping cloth on tire side wall and tread. I poured resin up to the top part of the rim not on side wall or tread of tire. After it dried and cut a round piece of wood and placed it on top. I took the overlapping cloth and placed it on top of the wood and put more resin. After all was dry I sanded the top smooth and cut sub hole. The sub faces up and is flush with the tire side wall. I ran the (detachable) wire to the amp.

I had to relocate one of the bars, from the trunk mat, that rests on the tire to avoid hitting the speaker. My tool kit remained in place.

The amp sits behind the back seat, and you cannot see it when you open the trunk, unless you bend down.

One speaker, one MTX amp. No loss of space, out of sight, spare remained, speaker removable, and good sound.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Check out cardomain.com

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just did mine and had the same goals as you did, clean, space saving, stealthy looking trunk.

I ended up goign with an 8" cut in the ski pass ( not enough bass in my mind) I am redoing it with a 10 now and it can fir in ther also. I posted pics earlier but here they are again...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
^^that would be the most stealthy box ever...

ive sat in some IS's with that same setup except with a 10" and its kool....i would try to emulate that as best i could...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
madhatch said:
try www.soundvision.com they had an is for a long time with a simple clean install.
Thanks guys for all the suggestions....

What the? What is that website......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts