Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember from my BMW days that some guys used to spray paint their yellow blinker bulbs to get rid off the "egg yolk" look of yellow bulb in a clear lens. Here is what I did to my new IS300. WARNING: Obviously the light intensity will be lesser than that of the unpainted bulb, but to me it is almost not noticeable. The blinker still blinks yellow and it looks very cool without the bulb showing thru when not blinking.

STEP 1 - SETUP
- Go to Wal-Mart and buy a $3 can of RustOleum Metallic Finish spray (can also get Chrome Finish for High Temperatures if the bulbs were always on),

- Remove the bulbs from the car. Easy in the rear, more difficult in the front,

- Get a small paper box and cut openings for the bulbs,

- Tape the metal part of the bulb so that you don't accidentally spray it. I used some magic tape. Tape once or twice around, leave a little lip on the tape so that you can peel it off easily as it will be wet with paint,

STEP 2 - SPRAY
- What you want to accomplish is an even spray of the entire bulb but with enough "transparency" so that amber color comes thru when lit,

- Place a large cardboard under the setup so that you don't spray your floor,

- Holding the can about 12-16 inches away from the bulb, spray VERY LIGHTLY on and around the bulb,

- wait about 30 minutes for the paint to dry,

- HINTS: practice on the side before starting so you get an even spray,

- Don't worry if you get too much paint on the bulb, it is easy to wipe off with paper towel,

- I noticed that light blotting of the bulb right after spraying created a nice and even coat. I used the same paper towel.

STEP 3 - ADMIRE THE RESULTS
These are pictures from the rear with the blinkers off and on. Notice that with the HOMEMADE SILVERVISION bulbs you get the same effect for $3 as with a more expensive one you bought at a store. AND THAT'S A GOOD THING!

Here is my inspiration:
BMW 7 series silvervision DIY - This guy used high temperature paint since on BMWs the side marker lights stay on all time when the lights are on. I feel that for a blinker application, you don't have to get high temp paint.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
jedi said:
Your images dont work.
rt-click the images and choose properties...grab the URL and paste it in a different browser window...that should work.

jag3r...wow very impressive...looks very clean! Do you have any pics of the fronts?

·
Registered
151 Posts
jag3er,

You mentioned not to worry if we sprayed to much paint since it can be wiped off easily using paper towel, but woud there a possibility of the paint to melt, say if i turned on the turn signal for while when im waiting to turn in a traffic light.
Thanks,

Viz

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vizcounty said:
jag3er,

You mentioned not to worry if we sprayed to much paint since it can be wiped off easily using paper towel, but woud there a possibility of the paint to melt, say if i turned on the turn signal for while when im waiting to turn in a traffic light.
Thanks,

Viz
You can wipe it off when it is wet, or rub it off when dry, it isn't actually flaking off or anything. I can imagine if you had the bulb on for a while, it could have gotten hot, but I don't think it is going to be a problem. On BMW's these were parking lights and were always on and nothing happened to the bulbs. However, you can also get Chrome paint for High Temperature applications and that will do the trick. Up to you, same effect. But I wouldn't be too much worried about the paint melting off.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
four20 said:
jedi said:
Your images dont work.
rt-click the images and choose properties...grab the URL and paste it in a different browser window...that should work.

jag3r...wow very impressive...looks very clean! Do you have any pics of the fronts?
Thanks for the tip. NO PICS OF FRONTS. I will do them at the same time when I take off the bumper to install Angel Eyes from umnitza, when they are done with instls so I can see some pix and make my decision. Too much hassle to take off the bumper to paint the blinkers, don't you think?

·
Registered
151 Posts
hello,

Do you have pics of comparison of ther color before and after?
what size of bulps there these? just in case i need to sell the car and need to have it all back to stock.

let us know if it changes after awhile.
Thanks appreciated,

viz

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
jag3er said:
Thanks for the tip. NO PICS OF FRONTS. I will do them at the same time when I take off the bumper to install Angel Eyes from umnitza, when they are done with instls so I can see some pix and make my decision. Too much hassle to take off the bumper to paint the blinkers, don't you think?
Oh ok...I was under the impression that you didn't have to take off the bumper to access the side blinkers...do you? :-?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
vizcounty said:
hello,

Do you have pics of comparison of ther color before and after?
what size of bulps there these? just in case i need to sell the car and need to have it all back to stock.

let us know if it changes after awhile.
Thanks appreciated,

viz
Look at your bulbs now, without the silvervision, that's before. There is a really visible yellow bulb.

I simply took out the existing amber bulb and painted it.

I'll let you know if I have any problems.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Just did the mod myself and let me tell what a difference in appearance it makes :eek: . Instead of rust oleum, I used some metallic plasticote stuff that I picked up at Pep Boys for about 4 bucks.

Just wanted to thank you again Jag3er for the tip! 8)

EDIT - seems as though the brightness of the bulbs are exactly the same too...I didn't experience any dimming whatsoever.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
four20 said:
Just did the mod myself and let me tell what a difference in appearance it makes :eek: . Instead of rust oleum, I used some metallic plasticote stuff that I picked up at Pep Boys for about 4 bucks.

Just wanted to thank you again Jag3er for the tip! 8)

EDIT - seems as though the brightness of the bulbs are exactly the same too...I didn't experience any dimming whatsoever.
Yes, no problem! Maybe the admin can post it in DIY section.

The key is to spray VERY LIGHTLY so that the light can come thru when the bulb is on but at the same time somehow hide the yellow bulb when off. You do want to see some of the amber thru the paint, but it is so little that under normal light you don't see it.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
jag3er said:
Yes, no problem! Maybe the admin can post it in DIY section.

The key is to spray VERY LIGHTLY so that the light can come thru when the bulb is on but at the same time somehow hide the yellow bulb when off. You do want to see some of the amber thru the paint, but it is so little that under normal light you don't see it.
Very nice work "jag3er"... I like a person who brings new ways and ideas to the table...!!! Just like me....
I will definetely do this when i get home from work... Im sure your right about the fronts too... they will look the same as your rears....

I will probably use a very,very fine sand paper to scuff surface of bulbs so sray paint will adhere better....and probably you would not need to blot with paper towel....
One question how long have you had them painted ???

Thanx
Joe

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I tried this on my rear signals a while ago with aluminum engine enamel paint (withstands very high temps) It did work for a while but I assure you, the paint will eventually burn off slowly..... I bought the Phillips silvervisions.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Joe Z said:
One question how long have you had them painted ???
It's been only a few weeks. I've seen this done on other BMWs, however, and the paint seems to last even on the constantly illuminated amber parking lights in the front. I'm very reluctant to do anything to this car and I feel like this is a fairly safe mod.

If the paint peels off after a while (like Sheliz mentions above) then I'll probably repaint or get new bulbs and then paint. Still cheaper than Silvervisions.

As you see from my link above, guys with 740iLs were doing this "mod" and it works. I don't want to take away business from Phillips Silvervision but why not get a similar effect for much less money. Use the saved money for something else to make the car look nice, like Zaino stuff...

Way off topic... :lol:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
27 Participants
peterhoang1988
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing