Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rather LOUD full 3" setup, with Center resonator and Straight through Magnaflow. The resonance inside the vehical is still head ache material and a cellular call is out of the questions. I see a lot of guys running around with N1s with silencers and I am curious... is it functional? Will it help reduce the resonance inside the car.

Flame away if this is a stupid question...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
they do quiet down the noise but at the expense making the outlet of your muffler smaller. (aka loss of power) You are better off getting like a huge resonator.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apexi-USA - Active Tail Silencer Or how about this? It is spring loaded and based on their advertisement it flows as well as a free flowing exhaust under WOT. BMW has a similar setup in the stock exhaust for early 2k models. Seems like a good idea but I know a lot of the BMW guys, the first thing they did was take it out.

·
1,334 Posts
Apexi-USA - Active Tail Silencer Or how about this? It is spring loaded and based on their advertisement it flows as well as a free flowing exhaust under WOT. BMW has a similar setup in the stock exhaust for early 2k models. Seems like a good idea but I know a lot of the BMW guys, the first thing they did was take it out.
I had this on my old Apex-i GT-Spec exhaust. Worked very well for cutting down the noise.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you are getting drone in your car make sure that the tip of the muffler is actually beyond your bumper exit. If it is not it can cause sound to reverberate inside the bumper cover which turns the inside of your car into an echo chamber. Other than that a long resonator helps remove low tones while short resonators remove high tones.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are getting drone in your car make sure that the tip of the muffler is actually beyond your bumper exit. If it is not it can cause sound to reverberate inside the bumper cover which turns the inside of your car into an echo chamber. Other than that a long resonator helps remove low tones while short resonators remove high tones.
That s good avdvice. The tips are about an inch past the bumper (outside). I have an 18in resonator in the middle and was thinking about adding another 2, one 12" just past the y-pipe and one 18" before the axle. three resonators in all. Think that is just too damn much? I think flow would be hurt as well since the resonators would cause a lot of drag.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had this on my old Supra, I didn't notice a power loss at all, at the same time I was making 450WHP... so I don't think my butt dyno could tell much either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.