Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got me a stage I, the tranny should hold 300whp pretty well, although I noticed my tranny getting very hott and did not shift as smooth when laying it on a few cars.

*EDIT* Rob you bring up a great point here, and I thought that I would split it off to form a new thread about the w55, because a bunch of us that have blown them have noticed a few things leading up to the eventual demise of the tranny.

Hope you don't mind :wink:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
IS3FINALLYmd said:
I got me a stage I, the tranny should hold 300whp pretty well, although I noticed my tranny getting very hott and did not shift as smooth when laying it on a few cars.
YES. One thing I distinctly remember about my w55 tranny is how HOT the knob would get, even though it had plenty of fluid in it.

I have the phr short shifter, so it's just straight aluminum (an excellent conductor of heat) from the linkage to my hand... my w55 shift knob got VERY warm with my turbo kit.

I have the same shifter/linkage on my w58- guess what? No heat! 8)

Be careful, Rob- the tranny getting hot could be a sign that something bad is about to happen...

Heat kills trannies and engines.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Since I split this off and made a new thread about it- sign #2 your tranny is about to go- increased "gear noise" or rattling.

I definitely noticed in the weeks leading up to my tranny going that it was a lot louder than it used to be- in second and fifth I could hear a lot of gear noise and rattling. Granted I have a short shifter, but I had had it on since november of '02 and blew my tranny in sept of this year, so I definitely NOTICED when my tranny started to get louder.

I am not referring to the noise a bad throwout bearing makes. I'm referring to GEAR noise, heard through the shifter.

Here is our list-

1) Tranny gets exceptionally hot after driving hard.
2) Tranny makes more noise than it used to.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Others with blown w55s, chime in and share your experiences... maybe we can pinpoint warning signs, in addition to the ones I listed above.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
What is sad is I have all of these warning signs :roll:

I do notice the shift knob being warm...but it never clicked until I read what you wrote. Duhh.... :lol:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
redline814 said:
What is sad is I have all of these warning signs :roll:

I do notice the shift knob being warm...but it never clicked until I read what you wrote. Duhh.... :lol:
is it exceptionally hot? Or is the knob a "normal" operating temperature?

In other words, has it gotten so hot recently that you have started to really take notice, as in "man, my shift knob is hot! I don't remember it getting this hot?"

·
Podiatrist
22,491 Posts
Any of you guys running a tranny cooler?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no prob chris

I can say the trip down to nopi did my tranny no good at all, was at its hottest point (its aldo's fault for making me keep up to his 100+ mph pace, and whoopin some infiniti azz)

I pushed my car very hard and can certainly tell it was rattling more then usual and with the plp short shifter I have, also was getting hot. I would generally push my hand down on the shift boot and check for heat and it was nearing the time to make smores :-?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
IS3FINALLYmd said:
no prob chris

I can say the trip down to nopi did my tranny no good at all, was at its hottest point (its aldo's fault for making me keep up to his 100+ mph pace, and whoopin some infiniti azz)

I pushed my car very hard and can certainly tell it was rattling more then usual and with the plp short shifter I have, also was getting hot. I would generally push my hand down on the shift boot and check for heat and it was nearing the time to make smores :-?
Hey man we barely made it so I had little choice but to speed :wink:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
now you guys have me worried, my shifter sometimes gets hot, like "man, my shifter isn't usually this hot" and i DO have the PLP ss, and NO i'm not F/I yet. that is waht worries me. Keep the details comin.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I don't think there is a way to hook up a tranny cooler with a manual transmission- it's only got about 3 qts of gear oil in it, and relies on air flowing over the aluminum casing to cool it- the v160 has a LOT of heat sinking on it, I'm wondering if there is a better way to cool the manuals.

I will say, though, that my w58 does NOT get hot like my w55 did.

Nor does it rattle and sound "loose" like my w55 did.

Then again, after talking to lots of supra guys, the w58 is aparently good for 500rwhp, so that makes me feel a little better too.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
goldark said:
doublins said:
hchan said:
Also... I would imagine something like Red line MT-90 synthetic tranny oil would help w/ the heat too.
Yes, I use synthetic in my tranny these days...
what kind?
Mobil 1 75w90

·
Registered
299 Posts
Heat was not a noticeable symptom in my case because I use the stock shifter but what I distinctly remember was a slight bit more vibration coming from tranny.

I don't advocate any speed shifting :shame: The tranny will shift fine but the impact may cause premature fatigue of tranny parts. And yes, my clutch had a sprung hub.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I may decide to go w/ Wxman's setup. PHR clutch kit w/ non-sprung hub.

trekster said:
Heat was not a noticeable symptom in my case because I use the stock shifter but what I distinctly remember was a slight bit more vibration coming from tranny.

I don't advocate any speed shifting :shame: The tranny will shift fine but the impact may cause premature fatigue of tranny parts. And yes, my clutch had a sprung hub.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.