Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what are some signs of overheating on a boosted car. Whenever I open the hood the engine bay feels hotter than it did N/A, but I guess that is normal. I also smell something around the car. Could it be from having not cats?

·
Registered
224 Posts
lexusaltezza said:
I was wondering what are some signs of overheating on a boosted car. Whenever I open the hood the engine bay feels hotter than it did N/A, but I guess that is normal. I also smell something around the car. Could it be from having not cats?
Make sure watch your guages. If it goes above the middle mark, your car is overheating. Also if you have air pocket in your cooling system it would cause it to overheat also.
JPI

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
when you say overheating, are you refering the engine bay in general? The engine bay is obviously going to get a little hotter then it would be from a NA motor because of the turbo.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
engine temps have been noted to be more with boost due to the seals from lexus around the engine bay, ie wheel wells, liners on the hood, etc....(keeping the hot air inside the engine bay, it has no where to escape) also the is300 manifold and tb are on the same side, so most of the time ur backhousing on ur turbo will be right under ur intake/tb piping....

-josh

best wishes

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
lexusaltezza said:
The first sign of overheating is heat.
The hotter it is, the more chance you will have of overheating.

Hope that helps.

look at your coolant temp. If the car can't handle it, the coolant temp will likely go above normal. Your stock gauge is good enough.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
get an EGT put on the car and watch that as well. It will give you a good idea of how the car is running. If you see it get over 1400, get off the gas and coast / lightly drive as it goes back down.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Generally, i like to keep EGT's around the 800's... 1400 C is definetely a problem IF you are there...

800 to 900 at most is ok... EGT's are also greatly affected by are AF ratio's. The leaner you are, the hotter it will be... If timing is off, you will be getting things a bit hot too... If Timing is SIGNIFICANTLY off, you may even get lucky enough to get your exhaust manifold glowing red (please dont let this happen).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts