Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed as I was installing my OS2 sim, that my battery died while listening to the radio with the car off. Now I was only listening/working for about 1/2 hours. The interior light was on. I waited a bit and the car started up.
I did however disconnect the negative terminal and opened the driver door. I then rolled down a window and the interior light big time dimmed. Is this a sign of a bad alternator or voltage regulator?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,063 Posts
i don't think i'd really try and do anything "battery-ish" with the negative disconnected. just get another radio and leave the electronics alone in the car next time you are doing an install.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
4,593 Posts
rllinghardis300 said:
I noticed as I was installing my OS2 sim, that my battery died while listening to the radio with the car off. Now I was only listening/working for about 1/2 hours. The interior light was on. I waited a bit and the car started up.
I did however disconnect the negative terminal and opened the driver door. I then rolled down a window and the interior light big time dimmed. Is this a sign of a bad alternator or voltage regulator?
Your post is confusing but if I understand it right you disconnected the battery with the car running???

Of course the light will dim because you are asking for a large amount for current to raise and lower the door. Granted the Alternator can supply the charge current at its rating of 80A, but the battery is highly capacitive and it helps maintain the voltage during a surge demand. The battery stores current, in other words, for when you need to use it.

So when the dome light dims that tells you that you have a drop in voltage but I don't think anything is bad, your battery just hasn't had enough time to charge back up.

Also remeber that when you runa lead acid battery dead, you lose about 5% of its reserve capacity. Over time it will go dead and will not charge back up.

I lost my battery in the body shop experience. They did not leave a charger on it and left doors open. Many charge cycles lead to a dead battery.

it sounds like you are OK, just charge the battery fully and measure any symptoms when the battery is charged.

Our stereos do have amplifiers in them and do draw enough current to kill a battery after 2 hours.

Fig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fig said:
Your post is confusing but if I understand it right you disconnected the battery with the car running???

Of course the light will dim because you are asking for a large amount for current to raise and lower the door. Granted the Alternator can supply the charge current at its rating of 80A, but the battery is highly capacitive and it helps maintain the voltage during a surge demand. The battery stores current, in other words, for when you need to use it.

So when the dome light dims that tells you that you have a drop in voltage but I don't think anything is bad, your battery just hasn't had enough time to charge back up.

Also remeber that when you runa lead acid battery dead, you lose about 5% of its reserve capacity. Over time it will go dead and will not charge back up.

I lost my battery in the body shop experience. They did not leave a charger on it and left doors open. Many charge cycles lead to a dead battery.

it sounds like you are OK, just charge the battery fully and measure any symptoms when the battery is charged.

Our stereos do have amplifiers in them and do draw enough current to kill a battery after 2 hours.
Fig
Sorry for the confusion guys.
What I have been noticing is when I'm working on my car and I'm playing the stereo with the car not running, I notice the battery will drain in about an hour. When I get the car started, I won't have problems until once again I have to do work on the car with it not running and I have the interior lights on or the stereo is on.

Fig/CharlieD06, I think you have it, my battery is probably shot. It's probably not taking a full charge. It is the original battery and I had not paid attention to the fluid level on the battery since I got the car. I know it should last longer then 3 years, but the symptoms are in front of me.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
4,593 Posts
rllinghardis300 said:
Fig said:
Your post is confusing but if I understand it right you disconnected the battery with the car running???

Of course the light will dim because you are asking for a large amount for current to raise and lower the door. Granted the Alternator can supply the charge current at its rating of 80A, but the battery is highly capacitive and it helps maintain the voltage during a surge demand. The battery stores current, in other words, for when you need to use it.

So when the dome light dims that tells you that you have a drop in voltage but I don't think anything is bad, your battery just hasn't had enough time to charge back up.

Also remeber that when you runa lead acid battery dead, you lose about 5% of its reserve capacity. Over time it will go dead and will not charge back up.

I lost my battery in the body shop experience. They did not leave a charger on it and left doors open. Many charge cycles lead to a dead battery.

it sounds like you are OK, just charge the battery fully and measure any symptoms when the battery is charged.

Our stereos do have amplifiers in them and do draw enough current to kill a battery after 2 hours.
Fig
Sorry for the confusion guys.
What I have been noticing is when I'm working on my car and I'm playing the stereo with the car not running, I notice the battery will drain in about an hour. When I get the car started, I won't have problems until once again I have to do work on the car with it not running and I have the interior lights on or the stereo is on.

Fig/CharlieD06, I think you have it, my battery is probably shot. It's probably not taking a full charge. It is the original battery and I had not paid attention to the fluid level on the battery since I got the car. I know it should last longer then 3 years, but the symptoms are in front of me.
Yeah sound like you are cycling it too much and it took a digger. Invest in a charger. you can get one for like $30 that will maintian the charge on the battery. Always hook it up before you work on your car. ;)


I would get an Optima Red top and call it good. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
lol you leave your radio on for 2 hours?? of course your battery will run low. You just need to let it charge and if the discharge occurs faster everytime then you got yourself a faulty battery. It should be under warranty, thats if your car is still under warranty. O and our battery's are maintenance free
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,827 Posts
It seems that your battery is loosing its effectiveness.
It should have no problem running stock radio system for an hour.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top