Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the rules are regarding sidemarkers?

I don't mind the rear sidemarkers, but the front amber markers kill the look of the car.

Do the markers need to be a certain colour?

Are clear sidemarkers OK?
What about clear sidemarkers with an amber bulb?

Really, I'd like to have the front markers painted the colour of the car. What about if they are shaved a bit, and lightly coated with paint so that some light still shines through? Or do they need to be "reflective"?

I just don't want to give a cop a stupid reason to pull me over...

TIA!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
you can paint them blue to match your car and not use any at all.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I doubt that they would give you a hard time about shaving,
painting, swapping or covering the sidemarkers.

If it was me, I would'nt shave them or paint them, just incase you
have to go back to stock in the future... Go to a sign shop or an art
supply store and get a yard of 3mil vinyl and cover the lenses using
that... chances are they'll have the same colour as your car. A good
friend of mine did that to his M3 and it looks good.

j

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I had the same question before I did the swap.

The Highway Traffic Act says that the front side markers (if you have em) have to be amber (light and reflect). Meaning it's not enough that you get clear side markers and use amber bulbs because the actual side marker housing doesn't reflect amber.

BTW: that's the setup I'm using

The odds that a cop is going to pull you over for not having the correct side markers is unlikely...so go ahead

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have clear sidemarkers in the front with no problem, my bulbs are red.

·
Dual Citizen
2,449 Posts
you have nothing to worry about bro, worst comes to worse.. when u see a cop, just go straight :p

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Cops don't really care about the sidemarkers as long as they aren't some weird colour, if the bulb is orange or even white you should be ok but if you are sticking in a blue bulb or some other weird colour then you might run into troubles about them.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Side marker lamps

(13) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one half-hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle or combination of vehicles having a length in excess of 6.1 metres shall carry not fewer than four lighted side marker lamps, one of which shall be located on each side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles near the front and shall display a green or amber light and one of which shall be located on each side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles near the rear and shall display a red light and each of which lights shall be visible for a distance of 150 metres from the side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles upon which it is located; provided that a vehicle or combination of vehicles may carry four reflectors approved by the Ministry instead of the side marker lamps required by this section; and provided further that, if the clearance lamps upon the left side of any vehicle or combination of vehicles display lights visible for a distance of 150 metres from the left side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles, it is not necessary to carry side marker lamps as required by this subsection on the left side of the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (13).
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Found the relevant section in the Highway Traffic Act.

I'm having trouble understanding the meaning after the first semicolon.

Starting here:

"provided that a vehicle or combination of vehicles may carry four reflectors approved by the Ministry instead of the side marker lamps required by this section" --> I *think" this means that you can ignore the preceding requirements, if the Ministry explicitly approves a different side marker. But the wording is throwing me off...

(Not that the Ministry is going to approve anything...)

"and provided further that, if the clearance lamps upon the left side of any vehicle or combination of vehicles display lights visible for a distance of 150 metres from the left side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles, it is not necessary to carry side marker lamps as required by this subsection on the left side of the vehicle." --> What is a clearance lamp? Why only the left side of the vehicle?

happysmp said:
(if you have em)
So how do cars manage to not come with sidemarkers?

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm... At first the length didn't phase me, but I just checked and the IS is about four and a half metres. That's a lot less than 6.1. I'm confused... unless I'm reading the wrong section of the Act?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
azzurro said:
Hmm... At first the length didn't phase me, but I just checked and the IS is about four and a half metres. That's a lot less than 6.1. I'm confused... unless I'm reading the wrong section of the Act?

Just take the lights out - paint the markers and they will be a non functional part, that will not be applicable to the laws

Not all vehicles have lighted markers or reflectors on the corners....let the cop decide....as long as he doesn't pull two IS's over at the same time and compare.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
digger08 said:
Just take the lights out - paint the markers and they will be a non functional part, that will not be applicable to the laws

Not all vehicles have lighted markers or reflectors on the corners....let the cop decide....as long as he doesn't pull two IS's over at the same time and compare.
Nice... thank you!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
digger08 said:

I'm not too sure if I'd advise doing that. Every car must have reflectors on the sides and rears of the cars.

This is the reason why some of the company's who manufacture fake "Altezza/Euro Lights" got in trouble. The were making lights that looked like ours... but were not providing reflectors from the side. Hence somebody looking at the side of the car at night would not see any refelctors.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
my dodge didnt have any, and the cops didnt do a thing ;) car never came with them.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crester said:
I'm not too sure if I'd advise doing that. Every car must have reflectors on the sides and rears of the cars.
The Camry, for example, does not have any sidemarkers.

Crester said:
This is the reason why some of the company's who manufacture fake "Altezza/Euro Lights" got in trouble. The were making lights that looked like ours... but were not providing reflectors from the side. Hence somebody looking at the side of the car at night would not see any refelctors.

Yeah, but that's probably referring to a part of the actual tail-light itself.

I'm talking about sidemarkers. I see no reason why they can't be modified, unless I'm missing a part of the Act, or I'm reading it wrong.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Careful though in how you interpret side markers. Some cars don't have seperate reflectors on the side of the car... but they do have reflectors for the side as part of the headlight or tail light units.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Let's use your example of the Camry. It doesn't have a seperate reflector on the side of the car. But look at the headlights... see the orange piece that forms the turn signal? That's also a reflector that can reflect light from the side of the car.

I don't think our headlights have reflectors on them. Hence the side markers in our bumpers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts