Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. im a new owner and a noobie. is it normal when u switch to the e-shift, it starts at 2nd gear??

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
y3A, iT i5.

·
8,880 Posts
NO, it should say 5! It will not go lower than 2.
You can only select "highest" gear for the auto tranny to use. It will downshift for you automatically, as needed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
van48 said:
hey guys. im a new owner and a noobie. is it normal when u switch to the e-shift, it starts at 2nd gear??
Normal...... and lame.

I think it's funny how many cars have come out with an "auto stick" type of shifter.

Other than the F1 style shifters that shift instantly and very very hard, what's the point???

How is it any different than my old Auto car that had 1, 2, 3, OD designations on the console?

It isn't. It's just a marketing gimmick. And most people I know that have a car equipped with one, never use it.

I drove a G35 with one, and quickly got bored with it. It doesn't shift right away, and it doesn't shift any harder.

If you want to shift yourself, get a manual. If not, the autos are fine. I just think the whole "auto stick" concept it dumb. Then again, the marketing of it seems to have been at least relatively effective.

·
8,880 Posts
silverTA2002 said:
van48 said:
Normal...... and lame.

I think it's funny how many cars have come out with an "auto stick" type of shifter.

Other than the F1 style shifters that shift instantly and very very hard, what's the point???

How is it any different than my old Auto car that had 1, 2, 3, OD designations on the console?

It isn't. It's just a marketing gimmick. And most people I know that have a car equipped with one, never use it.

I drove a G35 with one, and quickly got bored with it. It doesn't shift right away, and it doesn't shift any harder.

If you want to shift yourself, get a manual. If not, the autos are fine. I just think the whole "auto stick" concept it dumb. Then again, the marketing of it seems to have been at least relatively effective.
Using e-shift forces auto transmission to downshift quicker than just pressing the gas pedal to the floor. It also allows for engine braking. Yes, the idea is the same as gate-shifting, however pushing buttons is more comoftable, which is the idea. There is some fun factor to it. If you need to pass someone or change lanes in different speed traffic, just push a button and keep the hand on the steering wheel.

I found e-shift to be a very nice addition to the auto tranny. More control would be nice, but not having any is much worse.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
silverTA2002 said:
van48 said:
Normal...... and lame.

On that note, if one gets the ESK for their auto IS. E-upshifts and E-downshifts are very very quick, very firm, and can be quite abrupt. I love it.

-crontab -l

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
crontab said:
silverTA2002 said:
van48 said:
Normal...... and lame.

On that note, if one gets the ESK for their auto IS. E-upshifts and E-downshifts are very very quick, very firm, and can be quite abrupt. I love it.

-crontab -l
Do u have an url for that ESK?

·
8,880 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx for all the info guys. i thought someone sold me a f*** up car.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
831 Posts
Why doesn't the E-Shift start in 1st? I noticed that too last time when I got an E-Shift loaner car. Seems kind of strange. Technically wouldn't Lexus/Toyota have to advertise it as a 4-Speed E-Shift/5 Speed in Automatic mode?

·
8,880 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Since the target demographic for the IS300 is young males, and young males also happen to be the number one cause of small accidents, and young males are also the most likely to engage in ghey street racing, it's probably to keep their dumb asses alive. Shame. =
Contrary to the ignorant comment above,
The e-shift is actually a 5 speed mode. It is just that you can not lock 1st as the highest gear. It will shift 1-2. It must've been some kind of tech issue.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
The auto tranny is a little weird. 1st gear is actually 2nd, and 2nd is 3rd and 4th, and then 5th is like overdrive or some shit like that. lol :lol:

Ill ask Randy again how it works. :chill:

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
vlad_a said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Since the target demographic for the IS300 is young males, and young males also happen to be the number one cause of small accidents, and young males are also the most likely to engage in ghey street racing, it's probably to keep their dumb asses alive. Shame. =
Contrary to the ignorant comment above,
The e-shift is actually a 5 speed mode. It is just that you can not lock 1st as the highest gear. It will shift 1-2. It must've been some kind of tech issue.
Someone took my comments to heart. How old are you, 18? Daddy bought your car, right?

There is no first gear because it's safer for the vehicle to handle the transfer from 1st to 2nd. Which it does.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts