Lexus IS Forum banner

Should I trade my AUTO is300 for a MANUAL is300?

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  wingnut 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2003 is300, it’s a great looking car! Lowered on coilovers, it has the nice stock 5 spoke chrome wheels. I have a nice cat back exhaust, the exterior is 8/10 little scratches and scuffs here and there. Interior is 10/10 perfect!

So this guy hit me up on Facebook marketplace, he has the same IS except for the wheels and transmission, same mileage and color. His is just beat up a lil more: both bumpers missing. Interior could use some work. BUT he’s kept up with maintenance very well, he just did the timing belt and water pump, all new spark plugs, coils, wires, ALL new gaskets on top and bottom end, AND ITS A MANUAL. What do you guys think? Is it work the trade just to have a manual?

See less See more
#2 ·
So this guy hit me up on Facebook marketplace, he has the same IS except for the wheels and transmission, same mileage and color. His is just beat up a lil more: both bumpers missing. Interior could use some work. BUT he’s kept up with maintenance very well, he just did the timing belt and water pump, all new spark plugs, coils, wires, ALL new gaskets on top and bottom end, AND ITS A MANUAL. What do you guys think? Is it work the trade just to have a manual?
Really, it's your call, they are more rare, only 10% of the production fleet. If you don't care about any of the damage, I'd probably go for it.

However, unless you're 100% sure this guy has done due diligence with the car, and has kept up like you've stated, it can be a risk unless you know for sure. For example, when I bought my IS, one of the previous owners removed the CEL light for the dash, not showing any issues, which could happen here. This can be mitigated by using a scan tool if you have access to one.

#3 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2003 is300, it’s a great looking car! Lowered on coilovers, it has the nice stock 5 spoke chrome wheels. I have a nice cat back exhaust, the exterior is 8/10 little scratches and scuffs here and there. Interior is 10/10 perfect!

I would investigate more of why the bumpers are missing. Plus why he would trade for an auto. When stick car get more money in sale prices. Seems very odd.

#7 ·
I would look into why he would want to trade a manual, seems sketchy but I would keep the auto and wait for a clean 5 speed if you really want a manual, hard to come by but worth it in the end. I sold my 01 auto for a 5 speed, however this one was owned by someone I knew well for years and he had proof of maintenance done

#9 ·
Clean cars are harder than ever to come by, so if you're feeling confident about the overall condition and service history of yours I would be fairly hesitant to trade. If you know a LOT about the other car, that would change my recommendation a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.