Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Correct, thats why I said he should check the "no charge" box or make the monetary sum "0." It's a gimmick. They did this to my mother's ES that just recently went out of the 4 year warranty. If you go about it by those means, they look at the car anyway...its shady.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
^ good point, but I would hate to get caught in the middle of that game.

Charging a fee for diagnostics may be seperate than saying you authorize $0 for repairs. Too shady for me, and I dont support that type of business practice. I would much rather support a qualified independent shop and get reimbursed as necessary.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
I see your point, it can get very strange at the dealer and in the end they are holding the keys to your car and aren't going to give them back if you don't satisfy the monetary means.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, new member here. Just looking through the boards to get a better idea of what the IS is all about.

Just to throw in my .02 on the subject real quick.

Most dealerships are all the same; I've worked at two myself. The dealer (as well as Lexus Corp.) is a business. And bottom line, the dealer is in the business of making money, not fixing cars for free. Charging a small diag. fee is not unreasonable to ask for IMO if the problem winds up not being covered under warranty or if they cannot duplicate it.

Service managers generally have previous experience as techs/writers themselves, but they get older and lazier, and enjoy the big paycheck without having to twist wrenches all day. Maybe go back and ask to do a ride along with one of the techs instead. They should be willing to do that for you.

It doesn't hurt to ask them to waive the charge or perhaps do a little persuasive bargaining and see if they'll split it with you or something. Being a jerk about it and raising bloody hell on the middle of the service drive can go one of two ways. If you're old enough, and throw enough cash around, it will probably go well for you. If you're young and have an attitude, be prepared to have the price increase and go home with a slow leak in your front left tire, lol. (totally joking…..about the slow leak that is).

Dealers always charge through the nose, but they generally have higher operating costs. It's not "bad for business" to charge a customer for a service. The tech is going to want to get paid for his time, the service writer will want to be compensated for writing the ticket and on down the line. "We spend lots of money so we pass our savings on to you!" basically, ha ha. But a certified technician is a certified technician. Find a reputable foreign car shop and call and see if they do free estimates.

Good luck! And write a letter if you want to. You never know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you very much for all the good advice. Much apprciated all the help from the forum members. The reason I am not happy with Longo Lexus is because they should tell me there will be fee if the problem is not covered by the powertrain warranty before I take my car in since I already told them it is over 50,000 miles (54k to be exact). If I need to pay Lexus to inspect my car, I can basically just take my car to local mechanic to have it look at it for free.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You got it. If I were you, I will definitely take my car to local and see if there is a free estimate. And yes, I will write a letter to Lexus NA in such case.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts