Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in NY, I have a black/black IS - and its DIRTY! and I cant wash it cause its freezing out, I am thinking of going to a car wash what do you guys think. Will the rims get scraped in the rails that pull the car threw im worried, plus will the paint get scratched? lemme know what you guys do or think. thanks later

------------------
ScoochyDawg -
if you're not wasted, a day is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
as long as the wash is touch free or Soft cloth you'll be fine, I usually go thur the soft colth let them finish and then go home and detail the rest. hope it helps.

------------------
Proud owner of a SOLAR IS 300, 2001
2000 yellow Ducati
Miami,FL

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by scoochydawg:
Im in NY, I have a black/black IS - and its DIRTY! and I cant wash it cause its freezing out, I am thinking of going to a car wash what do you guys think. Will the rims get scraped in the rails that pull the car threw im worried, plus will the paint get scratched? lemme know what you guys do or think. thanks later

NO NO NO NO.........the IS does not deserve this type of torture........

dont do it.....i have a Blk BLK IS and to just think of all the Swirlies you will have just makes me cringe....

Go to a Brushless car wash that just sprays the water or just sacrafice yourself and do it yourself.....its cold yes.....but it will be done right....

just my .02

------------------
Later

MIKE
ONYX 01, Fully loaded, Graphite Polished, Factory Spoiler, SRT Intake (on order)

·
11,061 Posts
Don't do it. Go to a detailer and have them wash it. It's not only the paint you have to worry about...it's your rims when that gadget grabs them at the car wash!

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Nooooo....get some damn gloves and a jacket. Use warm water for your soap bucket or something.

Imagine driving through an auto wash with that guiderail that will scrape the $hit out of your rims

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Make up something and let the service dept. check out your car. Then they will clean it whether anything is wrong or not.

------------------
White IS300
"Bein Bad Ain't EZ"

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I dunno. I agree that you have to watch the rims. I went through once this year unscathed. I remember TEG saying that he takes his car through the carwash all the time (and TEG is the ultimate car freak
).

I think the risk/reward favors going through the carwash occasionally during winter. It can't be good for the salt to sit on the paint/rims for 2+ months!

If carwashs scratched everyone's cars unmercifully, then no one would use them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Both my front and rear wheels are damaged from the car wash. I vow to wash it myself, unless its an emergency. I.E. Client coming in town on short notice.

I guess, I could get the carwash to replace my wheels!

·
Registered
446 Posts
What part of Long Island you from? There is a hand car wash in Lindenhurst and one in Melville and Smithtown. I go to a self car wash by my house. Its 24hrs outdoors and it only cost 2.50 for 6minutes. It normally takes me about 5 bucks to clean my car with my own sponge and soap. I only have to be out in the cold for 15 minutes. Matter a fact im going right now, because it should be empty.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Never take it to a machine wash place, because the rail might scrath your rims if it is a 17" because of the thin sidewall of the tires. My baby Honda Accord has a new sets of 17" rims and got scrated on the edge, I wanna cry. I am not saying it must scrath, but why risk it? If you don't want to wash it yourself, then take it to a hand wash.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Take it to the dealer my salesman said that I can bring it in just to get it washed for free as long as I tip the kids washing it!

------------------
TC
Spectra/Blue
17" Lexus Chome
'01 Nissan Pathfinder

·
11,061 Posts
GRRRRR. Dropped by the dealer in hopes of getting the car washed and was told they didn't have time...at least for two hours or so. Ah, hell I have an appoinment at the detailers for wax next week anyway.

------------------
'01 SBM, Black Leather - LSD - 17" Graphite Wheels - Loaded (minus moon roof)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts