Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know what board this is, and I expect to get more people saying the IS 300 because this or that.

However, would any of you change your mind on the car you slected if you could do it all over again?

The Acura dealer let me take home an ajean blue TLS that had 9 miles on it for a day. In those 24 hours, it kinda grew on, and the speed is great as well as comfort.

I'm wondering if the "diferent" interior on the is 300 grows old, and also the fact that it is and still will be out guned in 2002 for its class, even under classes with a 240HP 5spd Atima coming? Would be great if l-tune/TRD ever came out with that super charger.

I have things to pick on the TLS also, which I will with TLS owners, so I'm not trying to offend any owners, and think they are both great cars.

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: TexLexIS ]

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you want better handling and younger sportier look, go for IS300. If you want faster straight line acceleration and larger room and more luxury look, go for TL Type S then.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
TL Type S is fast as hell and has kick ass pickup...a wrx driver told me it is just as fast and/or even faster...he test drove it cuz he was gonna get one...that's the truth...BUT I STILL LOVE MY IS!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If you change your mind from an IS300 to a TL, you were shopping for the wrong car in the first place.

No regrets here, and I still look forward to driving it after 10K miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the honest replies. I thought the Acura looked really (plain jane mundane), and liked the IS 300. Then I saw the ground effects and spoiler you can get, and driving it was realy fun, even for a FWD. Comptech headers and catback pushing nearly 300HP also woke me up!

I drive a corvette, so I know this thing is pretty fast, as most cars feel slow after the vette. It was great fun friday and saturday. Lexus sales people always go with you for the test drive, forget about giving it to you for a day! Maybe if they did, I could get a more fair test with it. Also the IS 300 I'm interested in is black on tan interior, with every option. It has 500 miles on it though and they want 35K, is this too much cost/miles?

Also, I'm all for what you get for your money and value, and that seems to be Acura's strong point. I'm torn between the cars. The is300 handles a bit better, but the TL-S is reallly good as well (Test drive it). Any stong reasons other then a few feet better on brakes, and a few more points of lateral G to consider this car over the Acura?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The TL Type S is simply the best car in this class. I chose the TL-S over the IS300 and do not regret my decision one bit. Straight line acceleration in this car is simply awesome, and the engine is so smooth (as well as the car itself). When VTEC hits, the TL-S roars with a germanesque tone, and makes you feel like your driving a sports car instead of a luxury sedan. BTW, if you get the TL-S, get the $2000 touch screen navigation system. It's worth every penny and the chicks will dig it (guaranteed).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think SickType summarizes it. If you want "the feel" of sports car, but require a little more practicality, go for the TL-S. If you want a true sports sedan, and don't require extra legroom, the IS fits the bill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the Acura or the Lexus is a "sports car". I think they are both just sport sedans, and the Acura is not just a wana be, or just feels like one? I consider 2dr, good weight to HP ratio, rwd cars, with a low profile/ground clearance, sport cars, Corvette, Supra, Porsche, etc....

I know the IS 300 Breakes better, and handles a bit better, I feel it looks better also, I'm asking what else is better, as the TLS is faster, handles very well also, and is more comfortable. I don't know, guess im looking for more feedback from both sides before taking the step. ALso, that price was for a 2001, too much, no?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Don't know how much you value the fun factor...but I can say without a doubt the IS is going to put a bigger smile on your face, unless all you plan to do is "commute" and drive in straight lines. It's all about RWD. I doubt care how well the TL-S handles, it's FWD - and not really meant to be compared to the IS300 in performance, although Road and Track felt it necessary in the Sept issue. The baby lex is a 3 series competitor. If the TL-S didn't pack in the horses, no one would be comparing it to the 3 series or IS. Sorta a one trick pony in my opinion that allows it to play with the real sports sedans, at least on paper.

I know this isn't helpful in the sense that you can't put a number on driving excitement, but I can't tell you how many times I hop in the car at night just to drive and carve up some back roads with the tunes on. Can't really explain it, but it's the satisfaction the car brings to driving. That is something I valued more than legroom, trunkspace and gas milage (not to mention treadwear on our Z rated tires). It's not a practical machine other than the fact that it's a four door, but it more than makes up for that behind the wheel.

It seems like you're really heading towards the TL-S, but looking for a little justification. I'd go with what feels right for you, not what's right for the rest of us, because it's obvious most of us here are IS owners, and for reasons that may or may not apply to you.

Hope that helps.

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: SilverLex ]

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If I may say so, the TL-S doesn't feel as solid as the IS....

Really, it depends on what you're looking for .....straight line speed??? Definitely the TL-S.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More like towards the is300, but need more justification.

One, Isn't $35.4K too much for a 2001 with 540 plus miles. Its black with the tan interior, heated seats, limited slip, moon roof, sport seating package, and the graphite polished wheels.

Also, are they ever going to offer that suppercharger from L-Tune/TRD?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I updated my earlier post it seems during your last one. Sorry bout that.

35K!? for a used 2001? That's outrageous. I paid 31K loaded before tax with everything. Someone is trying to rip you off. You should be able to get close to invoice by now for a 2001.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I happen to be habibnazir's friend with the wrx and yes, I did drive the Acura TL-S and yes I almost did piss my pants considering it was a automatic and I had driven to the dealer in my 5-speed WRX. But theres more to a great car than pissing your pants and the TL-S wasnt quite as refined as the IS.

Its KINDA in a different class its more "sports" oriented than the IS so it kinda appeals to a different, yet similar crowd. The TL-s may be faster but the IS will probably be more comfy on a long trip? I havent really LIVED with either vehicle so its hard to say.

In the class of the WRX comfort and frills really doesnt matter (though I have ZERO complaints about comfort) but in the class of the TL and IS, luxury and comfort does matter. If I had a choice of IS and TL, i would probably go with the TL-S since its faster and cheaper. Thats just what I go for in a car, not saying the IS isnt a great car in its own realm.

One thing about the TL is does not FEEL like you are sitting inside a 4 door, I completely forgot I was ina foor-door car. Even in my WRX i feel like I'm a in 4-ddor. I felt more like i was in an Integra or even an NSX possibly; very low to the ground, no body roll, TINY back seat, etc.

It was just a totally different experience than the wrx or the IS. It was almost the "happy medium" between the IS and the WRX. Now if ONLY the TL was AWD!! I guess thats the best way to summarize all this rambling. It's three different cars and you gotta treat em like three different cars.

Drive on!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well the NSX puts our less TQ and only 20 more HP the the TL Type S

After how many miles is a car used? I agree 500 is a lot for a new car. They only offered $1000 off. I'm sure they will be calling again. I would see the TL more comfy on a long trip, more room, armrest, rear HVAC, seats a little more padded??

·
Registered
62 Posts
The IS300 and TLS are only compared to each other because they are Japanese Cars in Luxury divisions. The TLS is more like the BMW 5 series in dimensions. The IS should be compared to the 3 series, C240, and the A4.
The Acura should be compared to the C320, 5 Series, Volvo S60 T5. In fact, the S60 T5 and the TLS are very competitive. 247 HP vs. 260 hp, FWD vs. FWD, Comfort and Luxury are similar. The Volvo is more expensive, but they always run lease programs.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
If the TL-S has a 5/6 speed, get it!!!...It will make it so much more fun to drive, plus if its faster straight, pretty nice...I do like the IS styling a tad bit more on the exterior, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's the reason that I bought my IS300. Its a way more fun car than the TL. The IS just looks way better too. People complain that the IS300 is too small. Well, I complain that the TL is too big. I'm young, don't have any kids yet, so what do I need all that room for? It also limits my parallel parking abilities. Hehe j/k. Let me give you a scenerio.

It's a warm sunny day, the sunroof and all the windows are open. You're driving to the beach. Of course you can take the easy straight line freeway to get there or you can take the curvy longer route. I choose to take the curvy longer route. It's there where the IS truly shines. I love to take corners and drive the hell out of my IS. If the sign says to go 20mph around a turn, sh!t, imma take it at 40 - 50! And if there happens to be an animal behind one of those blind corners, I have these things called brakess that can stop me on a dime. I look forward to those warning signs that remind me its going to be a curvy ride.

I made my decision to get an IS because it just seemed more fun to me and fit my lifestyle. The IS300 is just what it is. I could, if I wanted to, remind you that it was Japan's CAR OF THE YEAR. But I won't go there because that stuff doesn't matter. Hehe. 30 g's is a hell of a lot of money. MAKE YOUR DECISION WISLEY. You can't go wrong with either car, it's all a matter of preference at this point in your life. If I had a family with kids, the TL-S would be sitting in my garage right now.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Have you guys who say the Type S feels like a sports car, actually driven a sports car? It feels like a boat, maybe a speed boat, but the thing is huge, and anything BUT tossable and light. And nothing turns me off more than corning hard and hitting the gas at the apex, and feeling the front wheels spin and the steering wheel jerk in my hands as the front end drifts wide - that sucks! If you LIKE that feeling, go for the Type S.

Originally posted by SilverLex:
I think SickType summarizes it. If you want "the feel" of sports car, but require a little more practicality, go for the TL-S. If you want a true sports sedan, and don't require extra legroom, the IS fits the bill.

·
Registered
175 Posts
one thing i must say is not to purchase that car with 500 miles on it.
There is no reason why they can't find another car with less miles on it.
The last 2 cars i purchased had 5 and 7 miles on them, TL and a RSX-S.
Unless, you have to have that specific car, I would suggest getting a car with less than 20 miles on it, that way you can be certain it hasn't been used and abused as a test drive vehicle. Also, like another poster said for 31-32k you can get a nice 2001 IS300.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Yeah, iatacs19 is right, that is WAY TOO MUCH for a car with 500+ miles on it.

I got my SBM/Black LS package with every option available except graphite rims, and factory spoiler and paid way too much for it at 33k back in May, but they couldn't find another SBM around with those options for months. It's got the heated seats, moon, LSD, LS package, trunk mat, wheel locks, blah blah blah.

Don't get that car, he's trying to take advantage of you big time.

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: Kanine21 ]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts