Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating whether or not to get some steelies for the winter.

I know that they cover the brakes better, which is a good thing, because I think that the salt played a pivotal role in destroying my last set of rotors.

I already have Snowproxes in 215/45/17, so I'd be looking for a 17"x7" set of steelies.

My concerns:

• Cost: How much? I am looking to spend a very, very very little amount.
  • Weight: How heavy?
  • Looks: Do they look OK? I've never seen an IS with steelies before. I have seen some steelies that look decent enough though.
  • Where can I get them?

Bad idea? Good idea?

Otherwise I'll just put the snows on my stock rims. Does anyone know how much it costs to take off the current rubber and re-mount the snows?

Any insight appreciated :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I put mine on steel rims i bought brand new for $90. 16" steelies though, 17" may cost ~$130.

I suppose it's a harder decision since you already have 17" snows. I saved 150 bucks buying 16" snows instead of 17s so the additional cost is covered right there. You can use that justification.

Secondly, I put my snows on myself in about 30 minutes at obviously no cost. So you should consider how much you pay twice per year to get your snows put on your stock rims and vice versa.

Third, I've beat up my steel rims a bit mainly because in the winter its not always as easy to see the pot holes and curbs.

So thats how I justified the cost of steel rims.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sorry, I missed a bunch of your questions.

Weight: They aren't light whatsoever.
Looks: I don't think they look that bad. I personally think the high profile snow tires look worse then the black steel rims. (I have a MSM IS, so black rims on a silver car look alright).
Where: Any tire shop, even walmart and canadian tire may have some (maybe not 17"s though)

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
azzurro said:
I'm debating whether or not to get some steelies for the winter.

I know that they cover the brakes better, which is a good thing, because I think that the salt played a pivotal role in destroying my last set of rotors.

I already have Snowproxes in 215/45/17, so I'd be looking for a 17"x7" set of steelies.

My concerns:

• Cost: How much? I am looking to spend a very, very very little amount.
  • Weight: How heavy?
  • Looks: Do they look OK? I've never seen an IS with steelies before. I have seen some steelies that look decent enough though.
  • Where can I get them?

Bad idea? Good idea?

Otherwise I'll just put the snows on my stock rims. Does anyone know how much it costs to take off the current rubber and re-mount the snows?

Any insight appreciated :)

I would say put steel wheels on myself. If you are concerned about the appereance they make "5 spoke" steel wheels which look kinda nice. And my steel wheels have Lexus caps on them. So that makes them look good as well.

Mine are regular steel wheels with Lexus caps... but here are some "stylized" steel wheels I am talking about.

Thing you need to think about is... do you really want to put your stock rims thru a winter? I bought a set of rims for my previous car and put them thru ONE winter... and they still look great. However over the long haul... they will become fucked up... for lack of a better word.

So... yeah... I'd recommend steelies. I'm putting them on myself.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses!

My stock rims made it through a winter, but I bought the car half-way through it. There are sections one one rim that look chipped, kind of like salt ate through it. I think I may get the stock rims powdercoated, and use them in the summer.

Now, for these steelies... If I can pick up a set of 17s for $130, that's not bad at all. I have low-profile tires, so they should look all-right.

Here are some nice steelies I saw:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2065923
Those are custom made, but I'll be happy if I can find something that looks somewhat similar.

I'll look around Canadian Tire and see if I can find some local tire shops.

The stock rims have a +45 offset, right? So a +45 steelie with a 114.3 bolt pattern should do the trick? I'll need some new lugs too, right?

Also, how "strong" are steel rims? Do they bend easily?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I'm using my stock 17s as my winter setup but I have 18s for summer driving. If you don't plan on getting another set of wheels for summer then go for the steelies, I wouldn't want to be changing tires with each season.

Changing tires and rebalancing will run you about $100-$120 on stock wheels, steels should be cheaper since they can use the regular cheap weights for balancing and you can get it done at wallmart or something ...need good equipment to work on 17" alloy or else they will get scratched to hell.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I've never seen steelies in 17"!! Can't wait to see pics of them on
your car... Good luck finding them.

I have the 16" 5star Toyota steelies --> I guess they come on Rav4s
They are a bit rusty in areas so I'm going to refinish them next
weekend; and spray them black (or gunmetalic) haven't decided
yet.

j

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Anyone want to buy my rav4 steelies with Pirelli snowsport 210 used for half of one winter with center caps for $700. pm me if intersted?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The guy said that these were the best winter tires they have right now?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Winter Rims & Tires

Gentlemen..
Cheap Thrills in Milton, Ontario, has good deals on winter rims & tires..

Lates...

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
ScarecroW said:
mrmonster said:
ScarecroW said:
4 205/55R16 XL Nokian RSI 94R 190.84 per tire 763.36 Total.
$190 for 16" ? Thats a lot, I paid $125each for 17" last year at Wallmart Dunlop GrasPic DS1
The guy said that these were the best winter tires they have right now?
I bought Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2's for $168 (+tax)... and those are one of the best winter tires Nokian makes. The problem I find with buying Nokians is... not many people stock them since they are Finnish tires. That means the remaining few stores that actually do sell Nokian tires can sell them at a premium.

But everybody pretty much agrees that Nokian winter tires are the best winter tires you can buy.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
boman said:
Hey Crester ^^^ You quoted me, but I didn't say that about
Walmart...it was Mrmonster, not Boman.

j

No, he quoted bowman. Not sure who that is ;)

So should I check out that Cheap Thrills place for the steelies? Milton is on the way between Toronto and Waterloo.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
boman said:
Hey Crester ^^^ You quoted me, but I didn't say that about
Walmart...it was Mrmonster, not Boman.

j
Oops! Fixed that. :blush:

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
azzurro said:
No, he quoted bowman. Not sure who that is ;)

So should I check out that Cheap Thrills place for the steelies? Milton is on the way between Toronto and Waterloo.
Definitely check them out... I think they have a website with
directions --> they're not too far off from the 401.

Here is your LINKY --->

http://www.cheapthrillswheelsandtires.com/

***EDIT --> beware of their hours tho!!

Monday: 10am - 7pm
Tuesday: CLOSED
Wednesday: 10am - 9pm
Thursday: CLOSED
Friday: 10am - 7pm
Saturday: 9am - 6pm
Sunday: CLOSED

j

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
You have no need for 17" winter tires... they are just more expensive and less effective... if you don't have BBK to justify using 17" winter tires then i would suggest go with 16"... less expensive

My current setup is 16" Rav4 steel rims with Piralli Car Vin snow tires and they make my car handle very well in the snow... they are cheap too... I drive with TRAC off all year round...

16" Rav4 Steel Rims - $50ea
205/55/16 Piralli Car Vin - $100ea
Total - $600

1 - 20 of 37 Posts