Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by maxum66:
IS THIS CAR STILL GOING TO BE GOOD USED IN TWO YEARS... ALSO HOW MUCH WILL IT BE???

THANKS

Like any used car it will largely depend on how the original owner treated it - driving, care and maintenance etc...

being a lexus/toyota a two year old should be still relatively maintenance easy.. (again just a generalization) - and you may be able to find one with the extended warranty...

another intangible consideration will be that most drivers of this car will drive it hard, especially if they get rid of it after 2 years... so a maintenance record might not tell the whole story...

with regard to price, you should probably expect to pay at least 20K (low estimate)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SO, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO KNOW TO BUY USED. I WAS INTENDING TO BUY FROM A LEXUS DEALER(CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED LEXUS).. I CAN'T AFFORD ONE NOW, STILL IN COLLEGE... WILL ONE FROM LEXUS DEALER NOT BE RUN TO THE GROUND... PLEASE HELP... I NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD GET MY HOPES UP OR NOT... ALSO, PRICE WISE, WOULD IT BE ALMOST THE SAME TO BUY NEW OR BUY USED WHEN DEALING WITH MONTHLY PAYMENTS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buying a two year old used car can be a wise investment. A car depreciates the most during it's first two years. So when it comes to bang for the buck, it's the way to go. As far as getting a 'certified' pre-owned car goes, it depends. Dealerships have a checklist of items they check and repair before reselling the car. Unfortunately, how rigoursly a dealer performs this check varies. And since dealers trade used cars around a lot, who can tell for sure. If you are not very mechanical yourself, I suggest you have any car you are thinking of buying checked out by a mechanic before signing. In general a good number of dealerships consider wash, wax, and a tank of gas as certified.

·
Registered
19 Posts
While the PRICE of a used car will be lower than a new car, the monthly payments might actually be lower on the new car.

You can finance a new car for a longer period than a used car, and generally put less money down.

Clearly the less emotional buyer gets the used car due to the overall cost. The more emotional buyer gets whatever they want and does what it takes to afford it.

I'm only a little emotional :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys know if they are offering the is300 in 2003. I will either get a 2001 is300 or 2002 is300 used. But i think that these people who have the car a two year lease run it to the ground. I don't want to pay in the mid twenties for a car that was run to the ground...

maxum66

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't say for certain but, there will most likely be a 2003 IS300. The average Japanese automaker will turnover a new model about every 4 years. So most likely the IS will be around until 2005.

·
15,322 Posts
maybe some IS3 owners will trade in for the SC430 and you might get a nicely cared for car...some owners must get new cars every two or three years and then there are leases which usually don't go on for more than 3 years. or since they plan on making 25000 next year, u might get a good deal on a leftover 2002 in 2003, like when the 2003s are about to or have come out? the longer you wait, the more options will open up for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would like to thank all of you for your helpful answer to my once unknowledgable question.

maxum66

·
Registered
571 Posts
its hard to answer your question.

Two years from now, they MAY have a IS400 or a sport edition blowing out about 300hp to give M3 run for their money. Now, which IS would your rather have? (I know it's more, but I'd give up my left nut to get a 300hp IS if I couldn't afford it)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
92diamante
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing