Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum. Just wanted to get some intelligent feedback from you IS300 drivers about whether I should buy an IS300, BMW 325i, or Audi A4 for my wife. I currently drive a 99 M3 and so I'm a little biased towards the 325i but with the new lower MSRP, the 2002 ISs are starting to look a little more attractive.

I'd appreciate any intelligent comments from those of you who had to make a similar choice in the last year.. basically looking for a sporty 4door sedan with above average power that will be a good daily driver for my wife and my upcoming baby boy (December).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Perform a search with the string, "IS300, A4, BMW" and you'll have more than enough reading to last you several evenings. One term you'll see brought up frequently is "reliability". The IS should allow you to spend more money and time with your kid instead of your car.

Congrats on the upcoming bundle of joy, and welcome to the board.

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: SilverLex ]

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Only if it is a 2002 manual...otherwise, you'll have problems and regret it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ignore the last post. There were some problems with early build 2001's that were easily fixed with an ECU update at the dealer.

You can't go wrong with any of the cars listed, but if reliability is high on your priority list the choice has to be the IS.

Spoiler

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Euro, you shouldn't get just an IS300... get an IS300 Sportcross. A family oriented person such as yourself would enjoy that spacious yet fine piece of automobile.

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: Badman Forever ]

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I also considered Bimmers, and Audis as part of my buying decision. Ultimately, the IS was chosen for the Lexus track record of reliability. Most of the first year teething pains should have been taken care of.

BTW the IS is my wife's daily driver and oftentimes is the commuter car for our children.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it!
I'll go do that search tomorrow from work! Yeah, I thought about the Sportcross but my wife doesn't like station wagons.. haha.. guess she's not ready to become a soccermom or anything just yet.. so I'm looking at the e-shift right now..

In terms of pure looks and reliability, I'd say we like the IS300 right now (although I really don't like the tail light treatment -- which is why I'm going for a lighter colored IS so it doesn't stand out).. I guess we're looking at the A4 because it's cheapest out of the three.. and the 325i because since I do all the maintenance on my M3 myself, I'd probably have the least amount of trouble working on that car..

Which reminds me, do the members on this board do maintenance on the IS themselves? I'm talking about everything from a simple oil/filter change all the way to exhaust, suspension, electronic and brake work..

Thanks again all.. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow.. just went back and did a search for A4/S4 vs BMW 325i/328i/330i vs IS300 and after reading about 3 threads, forget it.. I can't believe the pissing contests.. especially about how the IS300 is better than the 325i but slightly worse than the 330i.. no duh.. the 325i is $29K base.. the IS is $32K base and the 330i is $34K base.. sheesh..
haha.. anyways, I think I'll go with the 2002 IS300 probably in Oct/Nov.. thanks again guys and I hope you guys are around when it comes time for my first maintenance procedure.. whenever that happens.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i dunno if either base 325 is less-equiped or what. but somehow 325i ends up more expensive than is300 in my area with some optional add-ons. something for you to think of

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Euro.. your concerns about the tail lights have been addressed in the 2002 model. The clear lenses will only be used on lighter colors, while darkers colors will have smoked lenses.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Spoiler, I don't think the lense will be smoked on darder colors, I think the background around the lights on the inside will be a darker color (black). I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm.. didn't know that.. definitely something to think about..
guess I'll have to go visit the dealer again this weekend and take a look at the darker models..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
EuroKRN
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing