Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
debating whether to mount winter rubber on my oem 17" rims- or to get 16" steelies with winter rubber...
i heard that 17" winter rubber is useless- b/c it's too big and low profile to be of much use in the snow...more cosmetic than useful!

of course then i'll haveta get new summer rims (maybe 18's?) in the spring...more $$ :eek:

comments?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
since you live in toronto, i would get a set of dedicated winter wheels, preferably 16's

just get some cheap wheels but don't go cheap on the tires

and then get yourself a nice set of 18's for the summer, you could always sell your stock 17's to get some money too

or you could save some money and just buy winter tires for your stock 17's

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
think that i'll prolly get the 17" rubber and put them on my stock rims- then get a set of 18's for the summer MONTH (hehe..j/k) :lol:
but i wanted more if anyone actually had 17" winter rubber and what they thought of them vs. getting 16's

·
Registered
385 Posts
Also in Toronto here, you'll definitely need the 16" w/ steel rims.

FYI, a set of 4 steel rims will cost about $250 Cdn. 4 17" snow tires should cost about $200 Cdn more than 4 16" snow tires.

$250 + 16" snow tires are only going to be $50 more than 17" snow tires w/ no steel rims.

Besides, you'll want to keep the oem 17" wheels in good condition so don't use them in winter.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: where's everyone getting steel?

Art said:
When I got my snows from Tire Rack they said there aren't steels for the IS. Where are ya getting them?
Go to a local tire retailer that's reputable & big, they have manuals telling them exactly what size steel rims will fit the IS based on the dimensions of the tires they're selling.

TireRack makes $ selling alloys, they don't have steels for the IS but there are steels for the IS from other retailers.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re: where's everyone getting steel?

Art said:
When I got my snows from Tire Rack they said there aren't steels for the IS. Where are ya getting them?
Yea they told me the same thing but nobody there could give me a straight answer why!! :-? Go to Discount Tire Direct, they sell steels that fit our car for $45/wheel!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.