Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I just got my 2001 is300 3 weeks ago. Due to high mileage(~167k), the car was sold really cheap($4700). Anyways, the car is clean, with cf hood, acceleration and handling is instantaneous. I also have a supra mk3 turbo manual(trying to get rid of that now). Even though IS300 is not as fast as the supra, I love the handling of the IS.
Anyways, yesterday, from my curiosity, I checked the tranny oil, it was extremely black. I asked the seller about when was the last time he changed the tranny oil, he didn't know/forget. That is a good indication he has not done the tranny oil change before. One of my friends said for my case, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The other friend said I should change the tranny oil. I don't really know what to do, since the car drives perfectly, I don't wanna mess with it and make it worse, on the other hand I don't want to be a bad owner and neglect the maintenance of the car.
Again, I am a newbie, I am sorry if this question was asked before, and if it was, please just show me the link and I just read it from there. If the question wasn't asked before, please guide me what to do.
many thanx

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
If your fluid looks messed up... then go ahead and change all the fluid in the tranny. I swapped out all the fluid in my tranny... but I didn't really notice a difference after it was done.

·
Premium Member
9,657 Posts
Rule of thumb, change all the fluids. Then you will know that the fluids are up to date.

If you break something in a lexus, expect to pay lots. Lexus parts arent cheap and labor isnt cheaper, unless your mechanically inclined.

Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard a lot of horror stories of car owners when they neglected about changing the tranny oil, and then they decided to flush the tranny oil, bad stuff happens and ended up to change the whole tranny. From my understanding, this is because old/dirty tranny oil has metal grit in it that serves as friction agent and keep the car going. But once the owner cange to a clean ones, the tranny system doesn't have enough friction to propel the car anymore.
But I feel bad to leave the tranny oil dirty for my clean lexus,lol. I think I'll just drain the old one and put the new oil in, instead of flushing the whole dirty oil.

·
Registered
760 Posts
TypeIV ATF is a dark cherry color if you pour it in a clear glass or bottle, but in a thin layer (like, a few drops on your hand), it is just plain red.

I'm not certain if the 01s use DextronIII or TypeIV, but just as IS3 said, just change it. Toyotas have fantastic transmissions if kept clean, and the clutch material is very endurant of dark fluid.

Now, I did have a case (my own damn work truck:curses:) where I flushed the fluid out after it has gone for a while (I'm not quoting how long) on the same fluid. Two weeks later, I'm throwing in a rebuilt 700R4 because it left me on the side of the road after leaving a bar. In my professional career at Toyota, I have never seen that happen. When it's not professional, anything can and will happen to me.:suspiciou

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, Thanks you guys... You ghuys have been really helpful and gave me hope on changing the tranny oil
BTW, I was wondering if I need to put heat insulator underneath my cf hood? The cf hood doesn't include with the insulator. I was wondering if during the summer, the heat of the sun+ heat from the engine would melt the carbon fiber(i think this proves my noobness)

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Rule of thumb, change all the fluids. Then you will know that the fluids are up to date.

If you break something in a lexus, expect to pay lots. Lexus parts arent cheap and labor isnt cheaper, unless your mechanically inclined.

Good Luck
i follow this general rule whenever buying a used car.

i would change out all fluids (oil, radiator, tranny, brake fluid) with a car of that mileage you should also check on the belts (timing and accessories).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Lexus tech here.

I would change the fluid out however do not flush the system because of the mileage on the tranny.

The safest way to do it is to get 10 quarts of Type IV toyota fluid. Warm the vehicle up by driving it then remove the trans cooler line. Its the longest hose that plugs in at the bottom of the radiator. Remove it at the radiator then get a recepticle and put the hose in it. Then start the vehicle and at the same time fill the vehicle with transmission fluid through the dipstick using a funnel. The dipstick is located to the right of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Lexus tech here.

I would change the fluid out however do not flush the system because of the mileage on the tranny.

The safest way to do it is to get 10 quarts of Type IV toyota fluid. Warm the vehicle up by driving it then remove the trans cooler line. Its the longest hose that plugs in at the bottom of the radiator. Remove it at the radiator then get a recepticle and put the hose in it. Then start the vehicle and at the same time fill the vehicle with transmission fluid through the dipstick using a funnel. The dipstick is located to the right of the intake manifold.
good advice...:approve:

I did that last in 2007 with mine...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lexus tech here.

thanks, I think I will definitely do this

·
Registered
860 Posts
DIY Transmission flush

Don't let anyone hook you up to a machine to flush the transmission. It sounds hi-tecky and really cool but it forces the fluid through your trans and damages the seals and valves. Follow this link and let the internal fluid pump do the pumping. Just don't run it dry. It was very easy to perform and took me 10 minutes on my wife's minivan. A little longer on my IS300 because I removed the splash guard.

My local Toyota dealer (not Lexus) charged only $4.25 per Qt. you'll need 10 Qts to get all the old fluid out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DIY Transmission flush

Don't let anyone hook you up to a machine to flush the transmission. It sounds hi-tecky and really cool but it forces the fluid through your trans and damages the seals and valves. Follow this link and let the internal fluid pump do the pumping. Just don't run it dry. It was very easy to perform and took me 10 minutes on my wife's minivan. A little longer on my IS300 because I removed the splash guard.

My local Toyota dealer (not Lexus) charged only $4.25 per Qt. you'll need 10 Qts to get all the old fluid out.
That is really cheap. I bought mine on ebay $76.06(shipped) for 12 Qt.(6.40 a Qt). I shoulda checked my local toyota first

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did the tranny flush last week. I bought 12 qrts of atf, but still not enough to make it clean. At least it is kinda red now. The shifting performance is as good as before fluching. But at least I know it is a bit cleaner now. Thanks guys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.