Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a used SRT intake for a VERY low price. It's the old style with the red filter element. It also has the old ECU module (Not race ecu). This intake is from a 2001 e-shift. I have a 2002 5-speed. My question is, will this intake setup work with a 2002 5-speed, and what differences will I notice with the old style SRT vs. the new (yellow element, race ecu)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
it works fine.
you won't notice any difference.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Isn't the auto's piggy-back ECU tuned differently than the MT's piggy-back ECU, or rather, '01 ECU diff than the '02's?

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
four20 said:
Isn't the auto's piggy-back ECU tuned differently than the MT's piggy-back ECU, or rather, '01 ECU diff than the '02's?
yeah, the wiring is different....

the directions from SRT clearly indicate 2001 and 2002 directions.....

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
it works fine.
it works fine.
the factory ecu's are different but the SRT ecu is the same regardless.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SophieSleeps said:
SophieSleeps said:
it works fine.
it works fine.
the factory ecu's are different but the SRT ecu is the same regardless.
So then what's the difference between the race ecu and the non-race ecu? Is there a hp or Tq difference.

Thanks.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
Ummmm......... there IS a difference it might be small but some of the mapping parameters for what the ECU adjusts are different on the Race Ecu Vs the Older one .. .also i thot i read that the Race ECU will sort of self adjust itself based on the readings it gets from the sensors, so say if you add a header... in a couple hundred miles it will adjust it self to make the best use of the added flow Vs the older ones that needed to be sent back & reflashed to make the best use of the increased flow from a header.....

you should be fine withthe older one it all depends on the price.... if it is low enough.. like 200 or LESS you can still send the old ECu to SRT in exchange for a updated one & still save cash ... i think...

edG

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
edgy said:
Ummmm......... there IS a difference it might be small but some of the mapping parameters for what the ECU adjusts are different on the Race Ecu Vs the Older one .. .also i thot i read that the Race ECU will sort of self adjust itself based on the readings it gets from the sensors, so say if you add a header... in a couple hundred miles it will adjust it self to make the best use of the added flow Vs the older ones that needed to be sent back & reflashed to make the best use of the increased flow from a header.....

you should be fine withthe older one it all depends on the price.... if it is low enough.. like 200 or LESS you can still send the old ECu to SRT in exchange for a updated one & still save cash ... i think...

edG
Thanks,

Can anyone verify this information.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
the race and older ecu are identical except for...

. the casing is bigger on the old ecu.
. the map is slightly different so you supposedly get 2hp
. it is called RACE ecu for all the stupid people out there who think it will make them go faster than the original.

So, even if you get 2hp you will not feel it.
Buy the intake, call SRT or do some searching in past threads. All the information is already here. This isn't anything new.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far I've heard that;

"the wiring is different...."

"the auto's piggy-back ECU is tuned differently than the MT's piggy-back ECU"

"the factory ecu's are different but the SRT ecu is the same regardless."

"the mapping parameters for what the ECU adjusts are different on the Race Ecu Vs the Older one"

"the Race ECU will sort of self adjust itself"

These answers are all helpful, but I think I'd better listen to Edgy and give SRT a call. There do seem to be a few too many discrepencies in what people think the differences are (if any) to risk the health of my new IS3. This is why the search function is not always the most helpful thing on earth. I did search for this answer prior to posting but as we all know, ,many people will post information when they are not positive that what they are saying is 100% accurate.

Thanks again, later.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
i'm right.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
Dude.. .regardless of the situation... you are NOT risking the health of your IS.....

the Info Sophie added is accurate, & the info i posted is also, taken recently from another .netters conversation with SRT on this subject specifically.

l like i said,... just call them for the straight info & save us all time trying to help ya out.... it is not like many of the responses totally contradict each other......& thereis PLENTY of positive feedback on the forums from owners, that the SRT intake pretty much the best available....... period

good luck.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
edgy said:
Dude.. .regardless of the situation... you are NOT risking the health of your IS.....

the Info Sophie added is accurate, & the info i posted is also, taken recently from another .netters conversation with SRT on this subject specifically.

l like i said,... just call them for the straight info & save us all time trying to help ya out.... it is not like many of the responses totally contradict each other......& thereis PLENTY of positive feedback on the forums from owners, that the SRT intake pretty much the best available....... period

good luck.
Ed, are you getting as frusted with this thread as I am?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chigger said:
SophieSleeps said:
i'm right.
Trust me, he's right.
Well then, I guess I can't argue with that.

Sophie- If you're frustrated with this thread then just stop reading it. You gave me the advice that I asked for and that's all you had to do. I appreciate your help but there's really no reason for you to keep reading if you already know the answer and you're getting frustrated.

Everyone can stop posting now if they want. If you have further insight please shoot me a PM.

Thanks again to all, and try to relax.

Later.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
It's frustrating cause your original question was answered by me...and then a whole bunch of other stuff was thrown in there to confuse you.

BennyLex said:
My question is, will this intake setup work with a 2002 5-speed, and what differences will I notice with the old style SRT vs. the new (yellow element, race ecu)?
Yes it will work fine in a 2002 5spd.
You will not notice the difference with the new ecu.

My advice is...if you have a good price, buy it. Then PM me for installation tips.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
It's frustrating cause your original question was answered by me...and then a whole bunch of other stuff was thrown in there to confuse you.

BennyLex said:
My question is, will this intake setup work with a 2002 5-speed, and what differences will I notice with the old style SRT vs. the new (yellow element, race ecu)?
Yes it will work fine in a 2002 5spd.
You will not notice the difference with the new ecu.

My advice is...if you have a good price, buy it. Then PM me for installation tips.

It jus' don't get better than that!!! :D

i dunno about frustrated .. but mabey a little :roll: :roll: :lol:

'sallgood............... just buy the fokker & pm De or me

edG

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.