Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright,I am a newbie and I have a civic HB with b18c1 swap and pretty much everything else. I feel like I'm 16 driving this car and too much attention from cops and "ricers". I try to keep it clean and simple. nuthin gay. Before you get mad at me for being on here with a civic, please understand that it's fast fo what it is, (13.5 1/4 mile time, 160mph top end) but I realize what it is now, a civic. :(

Anyway.... I've wanted an Is for soo long. My uncle has an Altezza(I'm Japanese). Well im finally financially ready to get one. Looking to spend under 21k for an '01 or '02. I came across a guy who is sellin his blue '02 5-speed IS300 for $9k. 75,000 miles,18 inch rims,dvd player, system,altezza badging, intake, coil overs, turbo (i dont think anything big, dont have details yet). the problem is, he is the second owner of the car with the turbo on it. I havent found out how old the turbo kit is, but I am very worried. the mileage isnt that bad for the year, plus it's a toyota/lexus. but I have heard ,many bad stories about turbo'd IS's on this site. Is it worth savin $10k on the priceof the car and plannin on spending around $5k in the near future to replace things that will probably go wrong? I know I need to find out more details about the kit ( I don't know if he has turbo timer, engine management sytem, etc, etc, I dont know much about turbo's) Is it worth the risk?? please help, I need advice. thank you very ,much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cant believe I forgot to mention, smashed rear bumper, no frame damage or anything else, and no exhaust ( he ruined his HKS exhaust from dragging on the ground all the time) So I estimated, 500 for a new exhaust, and 600 for replacement bumper, painted, fitted. This is why he's selling it for so cheap. He has three other cars to worry about also, rich kid.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My opinion is if you plan on putting time and effort into this car then buy it. If you want something reliable and something that you dont' want to screw around with then I wouldn't buy it. 9k seems pretty cheap to me. But considering the upgrades which for some reason brings the value down and also the smashed bumpers etc, it might be an alright price. I would drive it and see. That would probably be your best bet and possibly take it to a mechanic and have him check it out. Or check it out yourself if you are mechanically inclined. It can be a hit or miss thing... You never know????? Either way post pics if you pick it up or if you go check it out. Good luck on your decision. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks "pope" I appreciate it. I just need to hear someone else tell me to buy it or not to buy it, I can't mae up my mind. Plus Im very skeptical of pre-modded cars.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I for one never have or never will buy a modded car...I want to have the car from its stock form till its peak...that way I know what I have done and how...I have had friends that buy modded cars and they turn out to be all focked up...also remember, if its modded, it was probably abused

·
Registered
472 Posts
IMHO, with just a trashed bumper and no exhaust, there's still something wrong with that price. Sounds fishy to me..

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
Well, if it got low miles and all that stuff and all you have to do is replace the bumper and muffler...I think I would buy it and complt'ly redo everything. This would be a prime opp' to body kit it, repaint it, fix/replace internals (if need be)....I mean 9k is quite aways from 21k. But if you fix it all to your liking, it may not even cost over 18k. With the low miles you could sell for near or over market value....IMO
Good luck with it!

.....The more I think about it, I WOULD buy it! Drive it around for a while then sell it. I have a short attention span. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would NOT buy it

Spend the money upfront and buy an un-modded IS. The time you spend on fixing it may not be just once, but more than you wanted to further down the line. Time is money in my book and if you've got it, then MAY be you can afford to buy this car. Otherwise, I'd walk... right now.

My $0.02 worth,
Mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
i think your story is a little short, b18c1 running 13.5 but.... that aside I myself am a honda guy and i have been looking at the is for about 3 months.... For the price I could not find any car with the quality, resale the luxury and sportiness of the is, new or used. They are built safe strong and besides tire wear they seem very relaible... But unless you know a lot about cars it is best to stick with a stock one and work your way up. Buying a souped up car you often will find you are inheriting someone elses problems...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Madhatch" a bit off subject but it is a 1997 civic HB DX model, no p/s and no a/c. I have a skunk 2 intake manifold, AEM intake, B18c1 with an LSD, cluthmasters 7lb flywheel, exedy stage 1 clutch kit, auto to manual swap, ichiban short shifter, jdm headlights, altezza style tailights, upper and mid spoiler, m-series body kit, skunk 2 camber kit, apexi coilovers, 17 inch rims, RS*R cat back exhaust, VAFC controller, gsr front seats, momo steering wheel, high flow fuel pump, front and rear strut bars,DC headers,and I think thats it. It's estimated at about 250 hp and 220 at the wheels. it's for sale for about 6,500 if anyone's interested, but I doubt it on this site. anyway, if anyone has any opionions regarding my predicament, please reply.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I say buy it, because with the 10K you are saving on the price, you should be able to fix anything that needs fixing. Plus you'll have a turbo IS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts