Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here the deal im new here i need a drivable daily driven turbo car...i have a 98 nissan 240sx with an sr20det in it and its gving problem from left to right and i want to sell it and get into lexus and toyota...i really want a is300 and turbo it out(looking to get at least 350whp) so wats the best way and cheapest way to do so? and like i said im a nissan guy trying to learn more about the is300 so as of now i dont know much about the car at all...any tip of advise will be helpfull, thanks...

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
well, everyone is going to tell you to search under the go faster section.
a turbo is300 is not cheap, and when i mean not cheap, you need to do some research if you want to do it yourself. if you can already find a turbo is300 by all means thats prolly a cheaper route. and also your 240 isn't the only car that gives problems, all cars do, if you mod it you better know how to fix it. or pay to get it fixed, just imagine how your turbo is300 will be down the road?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Ok....Turbo a IS300 to around 300RWHP will cost at least 8k-10K to be a reliable daily drive.
If you want cheap and reliable. IS300 is not for you

Reactions: vroomRollLEX

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
dont buy an is300 they are garbage.....buy yourself a 86 iroc z-28...now thats a quality automobile right there....

kidding

actually.....cross one hurdle at a time man. decide wether you want an e-shift or manual.....WAIT...before you say auto's suck blah blah blah do your research. most boosted IS300's are auto or v160 converted.....

buy the car and then start worrying about mods

·
Registered
51 Posts
Buy an Is300 is totally worth it. Chicks love it, youll get many comments, interior is so comfy, and it handles a decent ammount of power on stock internals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok....Turbo a IS300 to around 300RWHP will cost at least 8k-10K to be a reliable daily drive.
If you want cheap and reliable. IS300 is not for you

8k-10k to make it reliable, wat am i looking to spend on with that 8k-10k to make the car reliable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont buy an is300 they are garbage.....buy yourself a 86 iroc z-28...now thats a quality automobile right there....

kidding

actually.....cross one hurdle at a time man. decide wether you want an e-shift or manual.....WAIT...before you say auto's suck blah blah blah do your research. most boosted IS300's are auto or v160 converted.....

buy the car and then start worrying about mods

i found a manual is300 for $20,000 with only 27k and plus i dont think i can drive a turbo automatic car...

·
13,727 Posts
The autos handle more power, I believe up to 450 hp with a valvebody upgrade and torque converter, but I may be wrong. So plus one for the auto.

Plus, a few simple bolt ons for the suspension and you will have one of the best handling cars you have ever driven.

The IS says to the world you have arrived! Enjoy your new IS!

·
Registered
496 Posts
The IS300 is a very reliable car with average "speed" and below average fuel economy. It is very quiet and confortable. I would test drive a bunch of different makes and models of cars if there's a few you are really keen on, do some research on reliablilty and how much to make it faster.
Cars you may want to consider:
EVO, (though I won't buy another Mitsu myself, rust, leaks and rattles oh my)
WRX, (I think they get uglier as they get newer, I saw 04 white with gunmetal wheels and I was impressed)
Audi S4 (poor resale value makes them cheap used, reliablility is questionable.)
The EVO, WRX and S4 are already turbo charged, so to make them faster is alot less intensive than adding fizz to an N/A car. Then again, I'm not the type of person to buy a car for $20,000 and then dump another $10,000 into it.
I would seriously look at some of the Infiniti's. Although they are a little plain looking on the outside, they are top notch in the inside and they are plenty fast.
Test drive them all if you can! Car shopping doesn't have to suck, have fun with it!

·
Registered
387 Posts
cheap, fast, reliable.

pick 2.
If its cheap and fast -> not reliable
If its fast and reliable -> not cheap
If its reliable and cheap -> not fast

There's a reason I have my supra for the fun weekend car and my SportX for the DD....

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
^^^^^whats up with the retarded noob comments lately?

and too the original poster, get Justin (AAC) turbo IS, and look at the couple other turbo ISs in the FS section, most of them are well done and will be good DDs for now, but I would also lookin into gettin another DD if (and when) the car has to be down for some reason

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Buy an Is300 is totally worth it. Chicks love it, youll get many comments, interior is so comfy, and it handles a decent ammount of power on stock internals.
^
^^^^^whats up with the retarded noob comments lately?
I'm with you on that one.

and too the original poster, get Justin (AAC) turbo IS, and look at the couple other turbo ISs in the FS section, most of them are well done and will be good DDs for now, but I would also lookin into gettin another DD if (and when) the car has to be down for some reason
I hate agreeing with this donkey, but he's right. There's always at least one boosted IS in the for sale section, just do your research and it could turn out to be their loss - your gain.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
lol i say buy an 01-02 BMW M3, they cost around as much as a turbo'd out is300.
I love my Lexus tho...;)
yeah, buy an M3.:rolleyes: ...try to work on it yourself and actually have the money to mod it.....not happening

fucking noobs

Reactions: destron25

·
Registered
346 Posts
Welcome super is300. Yes, what's more unique looking than the is300? Very distinct on the streets day and night (especially, OMG LOVE IT!!). HID heads with Yellow fog lights roaring behind your rearview mirror, AN IS300!!!. Bro, Toyota is the way to go. Yes Nissan Japanese and I like 1/4 of their cars (their curent line of Nissans dissapoint tha living s*** out of me because they look like American cars, not the Infiniti line though) but I garauntee you that Toyota beats Nissan on most categories especially in reliability and tuning. (First hand experience, not something I read about.) I witnessed people I know who's had their Infiniti G35's already having many problems such common from BMW's (car dying on random occasions, parts needing to be replaced very soon, accident rating bad. Also what much can you do with the newer Nissans and Infiniti's besides suspension/intake mods?). Go Toyota bro, the turbo is300's hauuuuul a** in style and class. You can try dropping that 2jz-GTE motor (N/A special edition Supra motor) (Lexus IS300 and Lexus GS300 come stock with a 2jz-GE motor), and some Supra internals on it, then you will feel quickness or just turbo charge that stock engine. That 2jz-GTE is single or twin turbo (forgot, look up 2jz-gte on the search menu)....Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Turbo IS300 is not cheap ... those 2 should not be used in the same sentence... cheap = shit usually

not cheap compared to what? name another car that is RWD,as nice as the IS300 and can make mid 400's at the wheels on a stock motor for under $30k (including the price of all turbo parts and tunning)

things can be done alot cheaper if you have the know how to do it yourself...i do all my own work on my cars other than dyno tunning

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.