Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to the forum. I am thinking of buying an IS300 but have a few questions. I have around 18000 to 20000 to spend (I'm selling my STi) and I'm thinking of buying an auto IS for around 12000 to 14000 and then having a turbo company install a turbo. I don't need a huge turbo but would like a decently fast car. What are you thoughts on this? Would the car be reliable? I live in the east, so any suggestions on a turbo company? Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advanced.

p.s. yes I searched forums but would like personal opinions on my particular situation. Again thanks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
i think you should just keep your sti. The is300 is not exactly a fast car without forced induction. SRT makes very reputable turbo kits for the IS.

·
Registered
136 Posts
omg... if i was you i wouldnt even stay in this forum.. you got a god dam sti.. all wheel drive turbo 300hp stock what are you thinking.. the only way i would leave that car for a dam lexus is if i would be getting a IS-F.. besides that i dont know what your doing.. you have $18,000 man are make that sti into a 10sec car..

·
Registered
594 Posts
if u want a step up in luxury and a big step down for power then get an IS, just wondering but what is the reasoning for selling the sti?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
$6k for a turbo doesnt leave you much wiggle room for when things break or for doing things right. I'll let more experienced people chime in, but everyone on here says budget at least $10k for a reliable turbo setup.

·
Registered
432 Posts
yeh... I would like to know why you are going from an STI to an IS300...

SRT makes great turbos for IS300s and is the turbo I would go with if I had money. It is 6k for the SRT 2.75 stage turbo kit and 2k for installation. SRT is located on the east side. This kit will make an IS300 a 12 sec car on pump gas.

BUT you'll need a valve body upgrade and trans cooler if you are getting an Auto, for manual might consider a new trans (I heard that the Sequoia Trans is a v160 and the swap into IS300s are pretty easy and cheaper to do then what most users on here have done.) You have to do this because the trans on IS300s are pretty weaksauce and cannot handle more then 350hp or something like that. Another think you might want to consider if you are getting an Auto IS300 is the module that makes the trans change gears faster when you push the button because there is like a 1.5 sec delay.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Ya it all depends on what you are looking for. If you want to take a step back in the performance area in order to take a giant leap in the luxury area then go for it. If performance is your priority, then stay with your STI.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Wow... where's the respect for our Cars?
Lexus is a class above any Subaru. Sure, they're not as fast in stock form but they have a great base to build up on... a good turbo kit can easily produce 450 whp and still have lexus style.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
^^^ Yes but Most of us are basing our opinion based on the budget that he has stated.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
^^^ Yes but Most of us are basing our opinion based on the budget that he has stated.
Then he should buy one thats already boosted from someone else. There are a few up on the forum right now! Could Get one for 20K w/some good negotiating

·
Registered
272 Posts
lol my bf drives a wrx and is tech for subaru, we have this argument all the time. hahaha wrx? is? haha
you're comparing a subaru to a lexus now.. more importantly a STI to an IS300. STI is just performance, but if you appreciate the finer things in life, perfomance and luxury lol, then get the IS.

·
Registered
341 Posts
An STI is like a girl you pick up at a bar, fun as hell and great in bed but not very classy and you probably wont wanna show her to your parents. An IS is like a hot librarian, smart, sexy, good but not as great in bed and you wont regret it if you marry her.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wow... where's the respect for our Cars?
Lexus is a class above any Subaru. Sure, they're not as fast in stock form but they have a great base to build up on... a good turbo kit can easily produce 450 whp and still have lexus style.
Tell me about it, where is the respect?

Honestly though bro, let's be real guys, what luxury features do you see on an is300? (Has anyone ever though of that?) No disrespect to our car, but really what makes that car luxorious? Well it does have some but nothing like the GS, I guess why this is a entry-level luxury car.

Anyway, if you want performance, stick with the STi bro. But if you want class (by the way this can get you girls, the mature ones. Also class can get you into places in life with the least amount of trouble, EX. not needing to worry about someone trying to check up on your sti in the parking lots because it looks more racer-like than the is300 and they can see something in it), go with the is300.

Here are some stuff you might want to keep in mind:
1) Bad investment by trading an STI in for an is300, a car that stopped producing at 2005, meaning you are only going to get it used.
2) The STi performs better, I mean STi really focuses on performance since it's really a drag car, more bang for the buck with STI if your looking for performance, but this is300 can be a beast too with a little bit of luxury (leathers, powered seats, rims?).
3) You might be looking backwards just by going for the is300, because the STi is sportier, performs better. Lexus is really meant for class, but as you can see many people have done work with it and turned them into mean machines.

OVERALL:
If you are young, and really WANT this is300, go for it. I'm 19 and i would want a car I really want to enjoy for the next 7-10 years, before I have to start getting priorities staright such as wife, bills, house, etc.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
650 Posts
its all based on what YOU want. i wouldnt take someone elses opinion on what car to get. but if you want to get layed get the is300. haha.

·
Banned
3,243 Posts
Dont listen to ignorant comments. if you really want the IS300 go for it, its an excellent car and well worth it. Dont go by what people say. If your thinking about getting an IS300, u probably have plenty of reasons why and at the your the one that is going to be driving it, not noone else on this forum.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
BUT you'll need a valve body upgrade and trans cooler if you are getting an Auto, for manual might consider a new trans (I heard that the Sequoia Trans is a v160 and the swap into IS300s are pretty easy and cheaper to do then what most users on here have done.) You have to do this because the trans on IS300s are pretty weaksauce and cannot handle more then 350hp or something like that. Another think you might want to consider if you are getting an Auto IS300 is the module that makes the trans change gears faster when you push the button because there is like a 1.5 sec delay.
No, the supra tranny is a V160, and that is by no means cheap. It's at least $4-5k. V160 can be used with the stock rear end with a sequoia driveshaft

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well If you ask me... When you pull up to a girls house in a STI I imagine you getting out in a pair of cargo shorts and and t shirt that says tickle my pickle. I dont think there is much class in those cars. As everyone says they're fast as hell but that is all they are. Now you pull up to a girls house in a LEXUS she comes out in panties and a tshirt that says put it here! The Lexus is a grown up car, Crown Royal, fine clothes and a rolex come to mind. Well that is my crazy ass comparison. I spent 25K on m car completely stock! and IMO it is worth every penny, And I would not trade it for any kind of Subaru. When me and the wifey bought the car she said to me " you know we could never drive anything less now right?" That is the kind of feeling you get from a car like the IS300...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Having owned both, I can probably give you some good input. What exactly is your reasoning for selling your STi? Like a few people said, you're going to dump AT LEAST 10 grand into any IS you buy to make it a reliable turbocharged car, unless you buy one already done from a member here. Whoever said the STi is a drag car is completely off base ha ha, yeah it's going to be faster in a straight line stock vs stock against an IS, but an IS is RWD which is inherently better for drag racing than AWD. The STi also has horrible gearing for the 1/4 mile. So again, what are your goals for the car and why are you selling it?

The STi isn't getting enough credit for the quality of the interior here. I loved the interior of my STi and my old WRX. They were both well built and comfortable just like my IS and honestly my old WRX (not the STi) had the same creature comforts as my IS plus a few extra things my IS doesn't have. I love my IS, but I honestly wouldn't consider it a true luxury car as it's lacking a lot of features that I personally want in a luxury car. I see it more as a compromise between luxury and sport.

I do agree that brand name goes a long way. Especially if you're a young professional or you're trying to get away from that boy racer image, the general public has a much better view of a Lexus than of a Subaru.

If you're just looking for a more comfortable car with a ton of potential, why not look at an STi Limited? Leather, sunroof, heated seats, tons of custom touches and still has 300hp and Brembos. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
doesnt sound like anyone here is proud to own their IS'S, honestly they are both great cars with endless opportunities to be greater,

·
Registered
466 Posts
Save some more $$ and get a IS.
Keep both, the STI for weekend fun to drive car, and IS for luxury and class.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts