Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 5SP, Red, 2 Owner, Clean Carfax, 140K miles, new tires, brakes, rotors, springs and struts, 02 Sensors, wheel bearings, and BRZ diff swap. $7K. Here's the kicker - the owner believes the timing belt / pump were done at 90K, per the sticker under the hood (I am calling the Lexus dealership on the Carfax today to see if they can confirm). However, the owner shared the inspection he had done when he bought a year ago, and it did identify an oil leak - did not specify where. The owner at the time told him if he were to keep, he planned to replace the seals and gaskets. However, if the timing belt were really done, wouldn't all that have been done at that time, and if so, it's weird to me that it is already leaking. Also, do oil leaks necessarily mean that owners didn't upkeep the car such as oil changes? Carfax does have a lot of oil changes, but I know not all make it on there.

Car is mint inside and out, not even a melty dashboard. I would pull the trigger in a heart beat at $7K if not for the leak. I don't have time to work on my own car, so would need to pay my mechanic to fix the leak, whatever that would entail. One last bit of info is that we believe the clutch is stock, so I'm guessing that might be something that goes out soon (wouldn't hate to do the supra flywheel anyways :)).

It's super hard to find clean 5speeds here on the east coast, so would love to hear thoughts on what I should consider here. Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just spoke to dealership - the timing belt was changed, but there is no record of water pump or other gaskets, so I don't have any confirmation that those things were done.

Just spoke to my mechanic, who recommended that he takes it somewhere to verify where the leak is coming from, so that I don't get into a ton of money if it happens to be the rear main seals. Seems like sound advise. Not sure he will want to go to the trouble though.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
$7K seems sorta steep. Not hugely so but a bit high for a 16 year old car with 140K miles on it.

You should assume you'll need to do the timing belt, cam seals and valve cover gaskets at this point. It probably needs front balljoints too. I'd just factor that in. It's not that unusual for a dealer or independent to only swap the timing belt and not the rest of the bits. It's not something I'd do but many people want to spend the minimum they can on maintenance.

·
Registered
754 Posts
echoing EK, it seems like if it was done, someone wanted to cut as many corners as possible on this car. things like this make me wonder what other corners were cut on other maintenance/mods.

if youre going to have it apart to fix the water pump, you might as well do the timing belt again. if corners were cut, who knows what belt is in the car.

i also just re-read one of your posts and why is your mechanic taking it to another place? thats his job; get rid of that mechanic!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
echoing EK, it seems like if it was done, someone wanted to cut as many corners as possible on this car. things like this make me wonder what other corners were cut on other maintenance/mods.

if youre going to have it apart to fix the water pump, you might as well do the timing belt again. if corners were cut, who knows what belt is in the car.

i also just re-read one of your posts and why is your mechanic taking it to another place? thats his job; get rid of that mechanic!
Sorry for the confusion - the owner of the car is taking it to Lexus tomorrow to identify the cause of the oil leak. The car is in IL - I'm in KY.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front ball joints have actually been done already. Control arms as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with what has been stated above - it would prob be best for me to do all the timing/waterpump/gaskets just to be safe...not cheap. I'm guessing 1200 parts and labor for all of that?

I think I can get this car for between $6 and $6500. Recent maintenance history:

6/27/15 oil change , air filter , cabin filter
8/20/15 new Bosch icon wiper blades
8/22/15 oil change
10/29/15 oil change, air filter, cabin filter
11/25/15 drain and refill diff and trans fluid with Amsoil synthetic fluids
12/28/15 replace rear diff with Subaru BRZ diff.
1/21/16 new left front wheel bearing.
1/26/16 new rear muffler shield on passenger rear
3/10/16 replace shocks (tokico illumina 5 way), Eibach springs, strut mounts, front Lower ball joints, rear lower control arm, and front lower control arms #2 on both sides.
3/26/16 install 4 new Michelin tires, oil change, 4 wheel alignment, cabin filter, air filter
3/30/16 new Hks dragger II Exhaust installed
5/20/16 new front and rear rotors and brake pads installed, new clips and hardware 136K miles
6/18/16 oil change, air filter , cabin filter, replace b1s1 O2 sensor.
9/17/16 dealer synthetic oil change.
12/27/16 Installed new OEM Lexus car battery.
5/1/17 Installed new Oem air filter and oem cabin air filter.
6/1/17 Mobil 1 oil change, resurface all 4 rotors
8/9/17 replace b1s2 O2 sensor.
6/26/2018 Mobil 1 oil change
7/11/2018 Interior and exterior detailed

·
Registered
754 Posts
how are you getting that maint history? is it acutal carfax or is is written in the booklet found in the glove box?

the oil change dates are weird. starts out with almost every 2 mos and then near the bottom its a year or so.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Those are the receipts the current owner has from the prior owner (prior owner had for 3 years - before that, a lady owned for 12 years).

Between Carfax and the Receipts that I listed, the oil has been changed every 5K or so.

Car wasn't driven much at all the last year, hence the time gap.

Confirmed on Carfax new Clutch at 70K miles :)

Also just confirmed via Carfax that the water pump was replaced at 63K miles, so it makes sense they didn't replace at during the timing belt replacement at 90K miles. So...I'm assuming that means it's time again for a water pump replacement, and if I'm in there, I might as well do timing belt and all gaskets?? I'm guessing a $1300 job parts and labor...

·
Registered
754 Posts
this is why its a good idea to replace it all at once, so you dont have to worry about stuff like this. im not sure what it will cost at a dealer, but i think that sounds about right. if you search 'is300 timing belt cost' you will get results of what other users were quoted/paid.

one other thing to mention: even if its not leaking, i recommend you rebuild your vvti cam gear while doing the timing belt and water pump. no need to buy a new one as there are o ring kits out there. just make sure your mechanic knows the proper procedure for the rebuild (factory shops just buy a whole new unit and do not rebuild).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is why its a good idea to replace it all at once, so you dont have to worry about stuff like this. im not sure what it will cost at a dealer, but i think that sounds about right. if you search 'is300 timing belt cost' you will get results of what other users were quoted/paid.

one other thing to mention: even if its not leaking, i recommend you rebuild your vvti cam gear while doing the timing belt and water pump. no need to buy a new one as there are o ring kits out there. just make sure your mechanic knows the proper procedure for the rebuild (factory shops just buy a whole new unit and do not rebuild).
Thanks. So now I'm trying to decide if I get the car for 6500, pay 300 for the flight...is this car worth it considering the cost of that maintenance. If it had 100K miles I would jump for sure. I'm on the edge at this point...

·
Registered
754 Posts
i know 5 speeds can be hard to come by on the east coast, but how often to you come across them? if your not 100% about this car, you should likely wait.

ive heard of people having a car inspected on the west prior to buying it and then if it checks out, having it transported to the east. not sure if thats something you are willing to do. you could also fly out west and drive a car back if youre deadset on a 5spd.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
You know, I'd pay extra for a car with full maintenance records. Maybe it's not so expensive if the maintenance has been like this for awhile. The cam seals start leaking around this many miles. It's just a given. I didn't see "clutch replacement" in that list. At this number of miles, if it's not been replaced it's probably just a matter of time.

This sounds like it would be a good car if you did your own repairs. If you're at the mercy of a mechanic or the dealer, this might be an expensive car for you to own. These cars are reliable but like any car, at some point you'll need to spend significant money on things like the timing belt and clutch. It's cheap for someone who does his own repairs. Expensive if you have to farm it out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know, I'd pay extra for a car with full maintenance records. Maybe it's not so expensive if the maintenance has been like this for awhile. The cam seals start leaking around this many miles. It's just a given. I didn't see "clutch replacement" in that list. At this number of miles, if it's not been replaced it's probably just a matter of time.

This sounds like it would be a good car if you did your own repairs. If you're at the mercy of a mechanic or the dealer, this might be an expensive car for you to own. These cars are reliable but like any car, at some point you'll need to spend significant money on things like the timing belt and clutch. It's cheap for someone who does his own repairs. Expensive if you have to farm it out.
I know my post of maint. items was confusing. I only posted receipts from the second owner (past few years). Clutch was done at 70K which is great - was on car fax. Car fax with great history, oil changes every 3 to 5K whole life. Coolant flushes, etc.

And unfortunately, I don't have the time or skills to do this sort of work myself. I do the simple things like oil changes etc., but that's about it. So it is looking like a question of $6500 + $1300 Timing/Water/Gaskets = somewhere around $8K after my plane ticket. The car is so clean, I almost think it is worth it. I'm interested to drive this one, since it has the BRZ rear diff. Owner says it's the best thing ever done to the IS, and he has had a few.

·
Registered
242 Posts
GET HER MAN!!! manual 5-speed are extremely rare. Here in Canada they tend to get pricey lately and I think that it is going to raise as the years passing by.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Have you test driven it? I wonder what rpm the engine is at on the highway in 5th gear with the brz(4.10) diff?
65mph @ 3100rpm vs 2800rpm on stock 215/45r17 tires

tops out at 135mph but acceleration is well worth it

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Flew to Chicago and purchased this car today. Man am I glad that I did. The acceleration with the BRZ diff. is amazing. It does rev high, but this with such a smooth engine, you don't notice it. I made it back to central KY on a little over a tank of gas, so I don't think it impacts gas mileage all that much. Will post some pics when I get it washed on the next day that is over 30 degrees... :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
congrats! i feel you on not wanting to washing a car when its that cold! post pics when you get it washed!
Got her washed - will try to post pics this weekend!

BTW, got 24MPG on the trip back from Illinois to KY. Pretty impressive IMO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts