Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2002 IS300 with 64k miles, so obviously the car is not used much (I know, its a damn shame/waste of the car) - its given to my parents for their use.

Back in 2013 the engine light came on and the mechanic couldn't figure out the issue so they replaced the sensor.

Recently I've been using the car for 300 mile trips to deliver supplies to family members.
I noticed on Sunday the check engine light came on so I cancelled the trip and went to an auto parts store. They were nice enough to tell me the code: P0441

Did some digging on the internet and saw it could be related to the gas cap so I opened the fuel door and found the gas cap was loose - I mean when I opened the fuel door the gas cap almost fell on the floor. (the last time I filled up it was in NJ so that means the gas attendant did it) So I put the cap back on but the light was still there (I read it could take up to a week for the light to disappear if it was the gas cap)

I know if I disconnect the battery it will reset the light, but I've read that it also gets rid of background information.

Should I do that or bring it to a mechanic?
Not sure I am comfortable making the long drive with the light on.

Thank you

·
3,103 Posts
Until the cel comes up. No one can fix anything. Usually will complete a drive cycle by about 80 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Until the cel comes up. No one can fix anything. Usually will complete a drive cycle by about 80 miles.
Thank you for the reply.
Just to see if I understand it correct...the check engine light will stay on until a 'drive cycle' is complete. It could take about 80 miles of driving for it to complete.

Even if I unplug the battery it won't get right of the light because the drive cycle isn't complete.

Did I get it all right?

Sounds like I should just take the trip and it should clear up halfway through the drive.

Thank you.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Pulling the power will clear the cell but will also clear the background information like you said, not a biggy though as the car will just relearn its fuel maps and trims, just might run a bit rough for the first 10 minutes till it warms up if you notice it at all.

If you pull the battery you will also loose all power to the stereo so your radio will be reset, so you could try pulling the fuse for the ecu and leave it off for 30 minutes. Either should do the trick of clearing everything. Battery is probably the simplest ;)

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
Just to clarify. Check engine light came on. Code was read, you tightened the gas cap but obviously that still leaves the check engine light on UNTIL it is either deleted or you disconnect the battery cables as you mentioned.

Disconnecting the battery cables will take the light away. As mentioned already you will need to reset you radio presets and the clock. No biggie.

·
Mr. Roo
9,728 Posts
I think the check engine light clears/resets itself automatically eventually once a problem is solved. If you got the gas cap back on, then don't worry about it, just drive it as normal and the light will turn off on its own, unless there is another problem.

Keep in mind, this light does NOT mean "stop your car and don't drive it", only red lights mean that. It is perfectly safe to drive with the check engine light on for the most part. So don't worry about it. One of your weekend trips should clear it right up! Even if it doesn't turn off during driving, it would just not come on the next drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pnut00 / ill_mannered,
Sounds like removing the battery will remove the light right away.
I might try that.

TobiasSing,
You are braver than I!
When I noticed the light, I decided to cancel my trip (had 110 miles to go) so I turned around and drove 40 miles back, I was on pins and needles the whole time thinking I would end up on the side of the highway.

Thank you all for your replies

·
Mr. Roo
9,728 Posts
You are braver than I!
When I noticed the light, I decided to cancel my trip (had 110 miles to go) so I turned around and drove 40 miles back, I was on pins and needles the whole time thinking I would end up on the side of the highway.

Thank you all for your replies
I know the feeling! I get that "pins and needles" feeling when I'm driving in unknown area and am about to run out of gas. Nothing quite like passing the last gas station in the middle of nowhere in Idaho, not realizing it was the last one, thinking you'll be fine with 1/4 of the tank full, only to find nothing but desolate desert mountains until you run out of gas like I did lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After putting the cap back on, I've gone on the following trips:
1 - 2 miles out and 2 miles back to the store
2 - 10 miles out
3 - 120 miles out
4 - 1 mile out and 1 mile back

The light is still on, if it was due to the gas cap it should have reset by now - correct?
I did not unplug the battery.

Thank you

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
Disconnect the battery or buy a cheap scanner capable of deleting the codes.

·
3,103 Posts
After putting the cap back on, I've gone on the following trips:
1 - 2 miles out and 2 miles back to the store
2 - 10 miles out
3 - 120 miles out
4 - 1 mile out and 1 mile back

The light is still on, if it was due to the gas cap it should have reset by now - correct?
I did not unplug the battery.

Thank you
What cel code are you getting. It may not be a gas cap.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
What cel code are you getting. It may not be a gas cap.
I think you maybe misunderstanding what he is saying. From what I gather. He got CEL, he had it read and it was pointing towards an EVAP leak. He heard that he could disconnect the battery but is nervous to do so.

Coming on here some users have said it will go away on it’s own after a few key cycles and others have said to just disconnect the battery cables (myself included)

so he still hasn’t disconnected the cables up to this point and of course the light is still on for the same reason.

the light isn’t going to go away. It needs to be deleted either by disconnecting the battery cables or buying a cheap scanner that can delete codes.

Reactions: TobiasSing

·
3,103 Posts
I think you maybe misunderstanding what he is saying. From what I gather. He got CEL, he had it read and it was pointing towards an EVAP leak. He heard that he could disconnect the battery but is nervous to do so.

Coming on here some users have said it will go away on it’s own after a few key cycles and others have said to just disconnect the battery cables (myself included)

so he still hasn’t disconnected the cables up to this point and of course the light is still on for the same reason.

the light isn’t going to go away. It needs to be deleted either by disconnecting the battery cables or buying a cheap scanner that can delete codes.
No, It may be a cel that is something else causing it. That is why I asked for the cel number.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
No, It may be a cel that is something else causing it. That is why I asked for the cel number.
He gave it up in the OP and never deleted it is what I’m saying.

codes just don’t delete themselves.

·
3,103 Posts
He gave it up in the OP and never deleted it is what I’m saying.

codes just don’t delete themselves.
Evap codes do get removed if the issue is resolved. It is a matter of the cycle for the system to recheck. But if the issue is not what they are fixing. The cel willnot go away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes - the original code was P0441 - I discovered the gas cap was not put back on, so I put it on and then drove approx. 150 miles but the Check Engine light never went away.
I thought it would go away on its own after the drive cycle of approx 80 miles.

Went to Autozone today and the person working there allowed me to borrow his scanner to reset the light. Did it and the light went away. Drove 3 miles to another store then 2 miles back home and it has not come back on yet (fingers crossed)

Thanks again to everyone for the replies and help.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
Thanks for updating us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts