Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I thought the IS is the perfect car for me I read all these complaints of the soft paint. I'm planning on getting a new car very soon and had pretty much narrowed down my choice to a solar yellow IS my other choice is a 325ci). Should I be concerned with this problem or am I just being too paranoid? I really need some objective/non biased comments about this issue. This will be my first car and I want it to be a good experience. I'm one of those people who sees every little detail so the paint chips will definately bug me. Thanks, any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If it's a huge concern, you can remedy that with the 3m thing people have been talking about for a couple bills.

--k

·
Registered
626 Posts
no chips 1400 miles. I does not matter what car you buy. A rock from a dump truck going 75 hitting your car will do something wether your car is an IS or a BMW.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have been amazed that my 1988 MR2 seems to be immune to chipping. I have gotten "rained on" by debris from gravel trucks at 80mph, and I have yet to find a paint chip.

So far my IS300 doesn't have any chips yet either, but I do hope the paint holds up as well as my old MR2 paint.

Unfortunately I have heard that environmental concerns have forced paint manufacturers to produce paint that is "less robust" that the paints they use to make because they are using more "environmentally friendly" solvents in the new paints.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've gotten at least a dozen chips of varying sizes but I'm still satisfied with the purchase. The paint issue doesn't negate all the many positives about the IS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts