Lexus IS Forum banner

Should I be concerned about 100 miles on my new IS?

2K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  skim 
#1 ·
I'm very excited -- I ordered a 2003 SportDesign (thundercloud) from 600 miles away and got a very good price! (5-speed fully loaded) However, the dealer called me back and told me that rather than 0 miles on it (which is what I thought the car had), the car has 100 miles on it. So I called Lexus USA and they told me that the originated from a dealer that is about 100 miles from the dealer I am purchasing from, and that they hired a "Porter" to drive it from one dealer to another rather than flat-bedding it. Now I'm a little nervous and don't know what to do -- can anyone please offer their opinion on whether or not I should be concerned?

#2 ·
I wouldn't be too concerned - it is a Lexus.
That may also mean it was a demo car.
Check for sratches and other signs of wear.

#3 ·
Dealers transport cars like that all of the time. Theres nothing to worry about. You still have a warranty. Just look the car over before you take delivery (before you sign papers) to make sure the car is 100%.

#4 ·
vlad_a said:
A demo car should have more than 100 miles on it before they unload it. In any case, I wouldn't worry about the mileage. There'sno way the car's going to have 0 mileage. It will rack up more than that just through loading / unloading and dealer prep.

-Justin

#5 ·
Justin.b said:
vlad_a said:
A demo car should have more than 100 miles on it before they unload it. In any case, I wouldn't worry about the mileage. There'sno way the car's going to have 0 mileage. It will rack up more than that just through loading / unloading and dealer prep.

-Justin
Manual IS300 Demo cars are rare. They usually just let you drive a brand new one, if they even have it. It could've been through a few test drives, though. When I asked my dealer to test drive a manual IS, he just handed me the keys to a new one and told me to have fun. I could've taken it for a 60 mile run, but 1 mile was enough to make a decision.
My first IS had 7 miles when I picked it up and the second had 5 when I drove it out of their garage. :p

Bottom line,
Those probably are the dealer transport miles.

#7 ·
You guys are great! I'm less concerned about it now -- however, I can't look over the car before I sign on it, because it's 600 miles away. I *could* fly there and drive the car back, but it would take 11 hours and ends up costing the same as shipping the car here on a flatbed. I'm definitely nervous about buying a car sight-unseen, since all I have is the dealer's word that the car is 100%... At this point, I want my baby so bad I think I'll just sign off on it and hope for the best... :)

#10 ·
Nothing to worry about. Mine had 134 on it. I made the dealer "compensate" for the extra 34...but I expected 100, since they do move them around some. :wink:

#11 ·
mine had to come from a dealership that was 40 miles away. when i got it ot had 57 miles on it. i asked the financing guy about it and said that anything over 100 miles is not concidered new anymore. so make sure you technically bought a new one not a used one.

#15 ·
Justin.b said:

-Justin
- true that, mine came with 4 miles on it...

#16 ·
Justin.b said:
vlad_a said:

-Justin
mine had 0 miles....not that it really matters though.

#17 ·
scottschoe said:
mine had 0 miles....not that it really matters though.
- strange

#20 ·
mine had about 28 miles on it... almost decided to order one instead but i would have had to wait another month! besides, 28 is a good number i rationalized, and the guy told me it had just arrived :crazy:

#23 ·
11 miles on mine.. & i too had it sent over from another dealer like 8 miles away....

no sweat....... BUT ... i would try to get a free 10k/ 15k service on it....or some other kind of 'fugazetti'...

edgy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.