Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very excited -- I ordered a 2003 SportDesign (thundercloud) from 600 miles away and got a very good price! (5-speed fully loaded) However, the dealer called me back and told me that rather than 0 miles on it (which is what I thought the car had), the car has 100 miles on it. So I called Lexus USA and they told me that the originated from a dealer that is about 100 miles from the dealer I am purchasing from, and that they hired a "Porter" to drive it from one dealer to another rather than flat-bedding it. Now I'm a little nervous and don't know what to do -- can anyone please offer their opinion on whether or not I should be concerned?

·
8,880 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned - it is a Lexus.
That may also mean it was a demo car.
Check for sratches and other signs of wear.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Dealers transport cars like that all of the time. Theres nothing to worry about. You still have a warranty. Just look the car over before you take delivery (before you sign papers) to make sure the car is 100%.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
vlad_a said:
A demo car should have more than 100 miles on it before they unload it. In any case, I wouldn't worry about the mileage. There'sno way the car's going to have 0 mileage. It will rack up more than that just through loading / unloading and dealer prep.

-Justin

·
8,880 Posts
Justin.b said:
vlad_a said:
A demo car should have more than 100 miles on it before they unload it. In any case, I wouldn't worry about the mileage. There'sno way the car's going to have 0 mileage. It will rack up more than that just through loading / unloading and dealer prep.

-Justin
Manual IS300 Demo cars are rare. They usually just let you drive a brand new one, if they even have it. It could've been through a few test drives, though. When I asked my dealer to test drive a manual IS, he just handed me the keys to a new one and told me to have fun. I could've taken it for a 60 mile run, but 1 mile was enough to make a decision.
My first IS had 7 miles when I picked it up and the second had 5 when I drove it out of their garage. :p

Bottom line,
Those probably are the dealer transport miles.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Make sure if its a lease, that the 100 miles is documented so they dont count towards you at lease end.

Otherwise, enjoy your new car. I just drove 3000 miles to PA and back. 100 miles would mean nothing to me at this point.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are great! I'm less concerned about it now -- however, I can't look over the car before I sign on it, because it's 600 miles away. I *could* fly there and drive the car back, but it would take 11 hours and ends up costing the same as shipping the car here on a flatbed. I'm definitely nervous about buying a car sight-unseen, since all I have is the dealer's word that the car is 100%... At this point, I want my baby so bad I think I'll just sign off on it and hope for the best... :)

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
The mileage should be documented on the odometer certification forms. Not to worry.

I bought my car from 700 miles away, but I was there to check it out and I drove it home. :)

·
11,061 Posts
Nothing to worry about. Mine had 134 on it. I made the dealer "compensate" for the extra 34...but I expected 100, since they do move them around some. :wink:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
mine had to come from a dealership that was 40 miles away. when i got it ot had 57 miles on it. i asked the financing guy about it and said that anything over 100 miles is not concidered new anymore. so make sure you technically bought a new one not a used one.

G

·
mine had 90-some miles on it because they needed to bring it over from another dealership. i was able to get them to throw in some extras to sweeten up the deal for me.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Justin.b said:

-Justin
- true that, mine came with 4 miles on it...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Justin.b said:
vlad_a said:

-Justin
mine had 0 miles....not that it really matters though.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
scottschoe said:
mine had 0 miles....not that it really matters though.
- strange

·
Registered
265 Posts
My car had 3 miles when we first looked at it. After the test drive, it had about 8 miles when we signed the papers. Damn... 3 miles unaccounted for. :D

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
mine had about 28 miles on it... almost decided to order one instead but i would have had to wait another month! besides, 28 is a good number i rationalized, and the guy told me it had just arrived :crazy:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts