Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have a short shifter on their Manual IS? I want to get one but I want some opinions on good brands, what to look for and if its a worth it mod? I mean, my car drives fine now, but I feel like the gears are slightly too far apart. Let me know please.

Ilya

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
B&M is th only way to go. I had the PLP it sucked.. very sloppy. The B&M tight precise.. and inexpesive for a piece of quality work... I had it on my stock Is before I did the supra tranny swap.. I wish B&M mad one for my tranny now....oh welll I managed to find a custom one online.. works well for the supra tranny...

·
Registered
372 Posts
i currently have the PLP short shifter and i love how it looks...especially over stock...but im most likely going to change it to the B&M because i prefer the short throws.

Assuming from what you are asking for in your posts i'd say get the B&M...havent heard or read anything bad about it...sounds like an awesome part.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
basically you have two brands, the PLP and the B&M...it just depends what you looking for

PLP=sits shorter, shorter shorts (visual)

B&M=sits simliar to stock, very short shorts (performance)

both create a "noise" at higher rpms

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
pinoyballah said:
basically you have two brands, the PLP and the B&M...it just depends what you looking for

PLP=sits shorter, shorter shorts (visual)

B&M=sits simliar to stock, very short shorts (performance)

both create a "noise" at higher rpms
The plp was very very noisey at high rpm's and not in a good way it sounded like somthing was loose and ratteling. The B&M is the way to go.. dont wast $300 on the plpiece of shit...I called them and they didnt want to her about the rattling that thing did... and I had their gen II shifter.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I had the PLP gen 2 and it was nice. The shift throws were a good amount shorter, plus I used the stock plastic ball, instead of the one provided with the plp shifter. Less noise and much easier install.
You can always find a shortshifter for sale (used) for like 150 or less.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If you want performance.. dont get the PLP!!! It;'s travel is not limited. after about a month of use you will actually see the wear on the shifter base. I dunno what silver 5spd is taslkin about.. the install is the same for both of them... 4 bolts in 4 bolts out..AND if he thinks the PLP is quieter.. I think I have audio clips from both... the PLP rattles like a can full of rocks.. The B&M is a much more soild feel. And the B&M shifts are FACTUALLY 20% shorter than the PLP. I had both and sold both once Idid the supra tranny swap. My stock w55 actually broke just after I put the PLP in. 5k miles ont it when the car was stock!!! I truly beleieve it was because of over travel not limited by the throw of the PLP. Once i got the tranny replaced I put the B&M in.. at 13k tranny was perfect!!!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Myis300t said:
If you want performance.. dont get the PLP!!! It;'s travel is not limited. after about a month of use you will actually see the wear on the shifter base. I dunno what silver 5spd is taslkin about.. the install is the same for both of them... 4 bolts in 4 bolts out..AND if he thinks the PLP is quieter.. I think I have audio clips from both... the PLP rattles like a can full of rocks.. The B&M is a much more soild feel. And the B&M shifts are FACTUALLY 20% shorter than the PLP. I had both and sold both once Idid the supra tranny swap. My stock w55 actually broke just after I put the PLP in. 5k miles ont it when the car was stock!!! I truly beleieve it was because of over travel not limited by the throw of the PLP. Once i got the tranny replaced I put the B&M in.. at 13k tranny was perfect!!!!

Thats true but the b&m is dissapointing in that it keeps the shifter at near stock height. I realize the arm rest may interfere with the shifter, but I just want a short (literally) shifter for cosmetic reasons, the stock IS shifter looks dorky.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
I fabricated my own short shifter if that counts. Much quieter than the PLP and less notchy feeling.

12k miles and going strong.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
only complaint about aftermarket shifters is the vibrations they transmit to the arm. my wrist starts to hurt if i keep holding the shifter while driving :(

don't get PLP

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
B&M will shortin your throws up. I noticed a big differnce when I installed it.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Just measured stock is shifter verse B&M height on Petris car.. B&M is 1.75 inches shorter... My plp was only .5 shorter than this...Again The B&M is the way to go.. You asked for the best now go get it!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts