Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why, you might be wondering, did I write that shopping is one of everyone's favorite pastimes? It's because it is. Guy or girl, we ALL love to shop. Traditionally or historically, however you want to define it, girls were/are known for their "shopping", meaning clothes, shoes, purses, makeup, accessories, etc. Guys were/are known as hating "shopping". A guy would never admit he loved "shopping" in the traditional sense. But that isn't quite true, is it? The word "shopping" simply has a negative connotation & stereotype. (Now for the purposes of this article, I'm not going to address the whole "metro" phenomenon, so for those metro-guys out there, don't get all bent out of shape. We know you love to "shop" too. *wink*)
<P>
How many guys out there LOVE to shop?? Basically, every single guy that I know. It's just that the items they purchase aren't typically the same items girls would purchase. Most guys I know absolutely adore Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, www.techbargains.com, etc. They want the latest gadget (usually electronic or techy by nature), video game, magazine or CD out there.

<P>
In terms of cars, most of us on this forum love cars. Otherwise we wouldn't be here, right? How many guys out there have ever been caught up in the shopping...er...modding frenzy? I'm sure a lot of us can attest to that. You think to yourself how you absolutely HAVE to have those rims or that bodykit or that exhaust or those strut bars. How, man oh man, if only that person in the FS forum could hold that turbo set-up for you, until you save up enough money. And in reading the various forums, such as "I&O", "Go F/er", "SD&R", "W&T", you see even MORE things you want to buy. It's almost never-ending, the list of items you want for your car. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone here on the forum who has NOT wanted to buy additional items for their car.
<P>
Me, personally? I struggled my first year on here. I admit that I wanted SO many things for my car. All of those pictures of nice ISs people kept posting showed me a whole 'nother world of car mods. You can probably search for my old thread on "how would you spend $1000 [on your IS] if that's all...?" Then you can also read about how I've clearly exceeded that amount! *laughing* I was definitely caught up in the mod-buying frenzy. But I was always stuck between modifying my car and buying other items, such as clothes, shoes, etc. Money-wise, I knew I had the same pot of money to spend. It was simply that I became torn between two things, my car and "shopping" for myself. And since car mods cost so much more than other items I would normally buy, ("Man, that front lip costs HOW much? Do you KNOW how many new "clothes/shoes/[insert your shopping weakness here] I could buy with that money?") I had even less expendable income to spend on other things. *sniff sniff*. So for quite some time, I went on a personal "shopping" hiatus, since I wanted to purchase car parts instead.
<P>
But quite ironically, I didn't feel the dark cloud of depression that should have come over me (I'm TOTALLY kidding) due to my fast from "shopping". Why not? I'm not quite sure. Perhaps because buying things in general satisfies that need? Perhaps because that innate human need to want to buy new and better things can be fulfilled by ANY purchase? So you might say that guys and girls BOTH love to "shop". So, guys, the next time your girl tells you that she wants to go shopping, don't give her grief about it. And girls, the next time your guy wants to buy some more car or techy-stuff, leave him be. *wink*
<P>
©2006 my.IS
as always, this stuff can't be posted/reproduced without permission. BIG thanks again to my editor, joaquin (jruhi4). and thanks to my .is supporters! you know who you are... ;)
<P>
i'm sure you guys MUST be getting sick of my pointless ramblings by now, right? :lol: send me your ideas, articles, random thoughts, insane ramblings, whatevers for .Chick. we'd love to hear from you! :bigSmile:

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Hahahah E, I spend more shopping on my car than my girlfriend spends shopping for herself. Come on, girls love to shop, but I'm a disgrace :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
i hate it when you go shopping with some (*cough* girlfriend) and then they spend forever shopping for things that cost WAYY too much, and then YOU get to hold all the bags... that sucks.

I'd love to go exhaust shopping and then make my girlfriend hold the exhaust while i keep on looking around...lol.

just kidding.. i wouldnt be that cruel... i'd probably only make her hold an intake filter or something..

·
Registered
587 Posts
I feel you man^^^. Too bad we can't just go out and do some window shopping for our cars. All we got is the internet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts