Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we're looking for another car for my dad, and of course im steering him into getting a lexus:) Anyways, we checked out a few 2000-2001 ES300 and he does like it, and now also around the same year GS300. So far from our experience at northwest lexus in brampton, the guy was very very pushy into buying the car on the spot. He was claiming the car was never hit, etc, yet we found some paint over spray in the passenger door area...figure that one out...

Do you guys have any experience with those 2 models, any major problems or things we should look out for? any help will be appreciated!

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I find both northwest dealerships (lexus and toyota) to be full of pricks.

The sales people are very pushy.

but in terms of problems for the es and gs. I havnt really heard anythin major and Ive never driven either of them.

I would assume the GS would drive the same as the IS tho.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
GS does not drive like an IS it is more refined and luxury with an edge of sport. A more mature luxury basically. It is a BMW like feel with out the ability to hit a track.
I think the 01/05 ES 330 are a piece of crap . They drive ok but the transmission is annoying because the engine is under powered for drive by wire. The gs is by far the better choice. Why not look at a 400/430 the fuel is about the same but the 400 drives much smoother.

I am leaning to get a 04 RX or 01 GS400 for my wife

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I would go for the GS300. It's a very nice car. It's essentially a larger, plusher IS300. But not to the point that it feels like you're driving on a couch. Same goes for the handling... it's not as nimble as the IS300... and you'll notice the size... but it's not a floaty, bulky car. It also has luxury which the IS300 is missing... which evidently Lexus realized and placed in the IS350. Another good thing about the GS is it has a lot of usable rear leg room. My family took that on some road trips... and it is soooooo comfortable.

The ES330 by comparison is a floaty boat. It's more of a woman's car. If your father values driving experiences at all... he'll dread the ES. It's more for people who like the type of ride where you can't even tell you are driving. It just floats over everything.

So... I say go for the GS300. I can't remember there being major issues with the GS300. Although one time when my Dad brought his to the dealer... they did some warranty work to replace a "Yaw Sensor".

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well he has a camry now, and the ES300, not the 330, drives very much like a camry, feels softer over potholes, etc, but the handling is nowhere near of that of my IS. It does however have alot more luxury features thats for sure. We have yet to test drive the GS300 still, we only found one gs300 around this area..so for sure we'll have to make another trip out to T.o for that.
Thanks for the help so far guys!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
So did you test drive the GS300? What was your choice?

If your Dad has a Camry already and likes it... then maybe the ES is the better choice for him.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
check out scarborough lexus nice sales staff and even better service staff,better to go with GS300 over crap es330,my first lex was a beautiful two tone es300 love the car better build quality than any es after it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts