Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing springs with Eibach Pro Kit.

Has anyone had any experience with either the TRD 5-way adjustable shocks/struts or the Tokico D-Specs?

Any opinions on which would perform better?

Don't intend to do any tracking or rallys...........want tighter handling for street without sacrificing too much of the comfort level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just did my springs and shocks on friday, I went with with tanabe springs and tokico illumina shocks (5-way adjustable) I love the feel, its great, i keep it on a 4 all around for good performance and still a bit of comfort.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...........Did you DIY the shocks & springs?
Is this a difficult changeover.............any special tolls required?

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
Thanks...........Did you DIY the shocks & springs?
Is this a difficult changeover.............any special tolls required?
its pretty cut and dry if you have any mechanical know-how. you need a spring compressor, a cheap manual one shoudl be fine. be careful.

and when you do the front, its easier gettign the stock unit out if you turn the wheel all the way to one side, it gives you more clearance to drop it out. obviously the replacement is easier becuase the springs are actualyl shorter.

·
Registered
304 Posts
koni adjustables FTW!
x2:approve:

720deg of adjustability! Not 5 clicks. You can fine tune what you want pretty well. It just takes some driving around.

Also try searching...There is a how-to on the install. I looked at it and realized how easy it was, and it was a piece of cake (just a little time consuming). I recommend air tools! They were a luxury...I think it would have sucked without, especially compressing the springs lol (and loosening the bottom bolt on the rear struts). Good luck on the install!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone know where to purchase polyurethane bump stops?

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
I've never heard of the TRD 5-way adj for the 1st gen IS. Got any pics or link?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
i have them on mine since march of 02. i think there might be handful of people on here that have them. they do the job for me however there is some knocking noise from the rear. i have put about 38k on them

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TRD 5-Ways found at MVP Motorsports....$660.00

Suspension - IS300

Not sure if these are just relabeled Tokico's or not

·
Registered
16 Posts
olny cause the TRDs are specifically valved for the car, i would choose those over the D-specs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
TRD kit is setup for the lower weight 4 banger Altezza. The spring rate will likely be too soft for what it was intended given that we have a heavy iron block 6 cylinder.

This was the case with the Tokico advance handling kit, which was setup for Altezza and IS300 owner who bought it complained about excessive drop due to the heavier chassis.

The last time I checked, the Tokico D-spec was not available for the IS300. In addition the D-spec is just more aggressively damped compared to Illumina. The construction is the same other than valving. If you have the $$, go for Koni.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts