Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure which forum to post this in but here it is.

First of all, I got a plp short shifter and when I am slowing down in second, there is a pretty loud rattle coming from the shifter. If I put even a little bit of pressure directly down on the shift knob(toward the ground), it goes away. Of course the whine is still there but the rattle is just plain irritating. I have tried taking off the shift boot and snugging down the bolts on that metal plate directly under the boot but thats about it so far. Also, I just got a counter-weighted shift knob and that helped out with the whine a bit but now the rattling is even more noticeable.

Anyone else have this rattle? Is it due to loose bolts somewhere on or around the shifter assembly? Any help would be cool. Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
I actually notice a bit of a rattle in second while accelerating when the car is COLD like....10 degrees or colder cold...

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
it's just the shifter, it rattles. i would get rid of it.

if this is something new maybe check your bolts and see if they're coming loose

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't have any experience with short shifters on IS300's but on my other cars it ended up coming mostly from the bushings. Try checking out your bushings and make sure that there is no play.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
I have a stock shifter though chado what now lol
i would get rid of the car. but not before installing a few buttons in the coin area to see if they work :lol:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's just the shifter, it rattles. i would get rid of it.

if this is something new maybe check your bolts and see if they're coming loose
Is this a common problem with the PLP short shifter? Anyone else have this problem with a plp? If so, then I will get a new one. B&M maybe or that new ralco one. But first, I will check all the bolts. Thanks for the help.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
PLP rattles, that is common yes

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, one more question...

DIY for shifter install? Seems like it would be pretty easy since the whole assembly just gets changed out right? I had a shortie in my previous nissan and I just winged it and got it in there but I don't really want to mess anything up in this car.

I guess I could search but I am just lazy as usual.

Thanks for the help by the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts