Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When waiting at a long stoplight, do you shift to neutral? I've heard this type of shifting is common in Japan. Would this have any long-term effects on the transmission? Does your car idle at a higher or lower rpm? Just wondering as this is the first automatic I've ever owned.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
i had a friend that used to do that all the time, and it drove me nuts. isn't that what a torque converter is for?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
whaddya mean... when you are at a red light, put it in neutral and it won't go forward. If you don't, you are braking. Make sure you are on a flat road, otherwise you will roll back. Whats wrong with that?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
yougujuhere, what's the point in leaving it in neutral? i mean are some people that lazy that they can't hold down the brake pedal?? gimme a break...half the people i see doing that are wannabe ricers who like to feel like they've got a manual

------------------
1997 5-speed Alpine White M3 Coupe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I notice that when I do this, the rpms change fairly significantly. In neutral when idleing (is that a word?) the engine seems to rum smoother. But does this practice harm the transmission?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ummmmmm......Well, it's call automatic, but I think it's still not fully automatic......You still need to shift it to D to drive......

If you don't shift to anything, your car would never leave your garage......

·
Registered
301 Posts
my last car was a stick and I always find myself shifting to neutral at a light... just habit.

i think the question asked was if this causes harm to your transmision.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Um...usually when I drive I don't. But my dad will be getting the Ferrari 360 Modena delivered in about a week, and the salesguy told us that when your at a long stop light, the transmission will shift to neutral itself, and when you need to go again, it'll shift back to first gear. And this is a F1 transmission. so i dunno. Im pretty sure it causes NO HARM to the transmission but if you don't change it, won't it ware down the break pads since your car wants to inch forward??

------------------
Spectra Blue IS300

·
Registered
292 Posts
Originally posted by lilaznboi:
Um...usually when I drive I don't. But my dad will be getting the Ferrari 360 Modena delivered in about a week, and the salesguy told us that when your at a long stop light, the transmission will shift to neutral itself, and when you need to go again, it'll shift back to first gear. And this is a F1 transmission. so i dunno. Im pretty sure it causes NO HARM to the transmission but if you don't change it, won't it ware down the break pads since your car wants to inch forward??

NICE!- Ferrari 360 Modena

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
lilaznboi, the ferarri tranny is a clutchless manual from how it sounds. its not really an automatic but its not really a stickshift either, its kind o fa combination, but you don't lose power from it, the clutch is operated with hydraulics.

i assume that pressing the brake at a stop isn't going to hurt much, everyone does it. i'd rather hit the brake and have power when i need it than have to shift from 'N' to 'D'

·
Registered
816 Posts
Leave it in any of the driven gears and the torque converter spins ATF. Kinetic energy is dispersed as heat, so:

1. Your tranny runs hotter. Seal and ATF life are both shortened, but most likely insignificantly.
2. Spinning ATF places a load on your engine. Gas is wasted to overcome that load.

If you hold the brake pedal down *just so* to keep the car from creeping, you're also producing a torque effect that jacks up the rear of the car slightly, to no particular good or harm.

There's not enough of an advantage to shifting to N at a stoplight to warrant changing one's driving routine. But the advantage is there, so some do it.

[From TEG: Thanks DtEW - well said! ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
342 Posts
I read in an auto column that holding a manual in gear with the clutch depressed causes unnecessary wear. It made a lot of sense, but I would have to reread to be able to explain it better. Are you sure this isnt the practice you had in mind?

Originally posted by gdogg:
When waiting at a long stoplight, do you shift to neutral? I've heard this type of shifting is common in Japan. Would this have any long-term effects on the transmission? Does your car idle at a higher or lower rpm? Just wondering as this is the first automatic I've ever owned.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts