Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the weight of the shift knob affect the shift feel?
It seems like all knobs are different weight... i just can't buy every one of the knobs and try... i wanna see what educated ppl out there have to say about it...
Thanks...

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
i would say a heavier knob would give you an easier throw, because it adds weight to the lever you are applying forces to, which increases the torque of each throw... then again it's just a shift knob..once you get used to it, it should be the same as any other..

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
some companies are proponments of the " heavier is better ' school of thought on this ... Razo for example makes several different versions of some of it's knobs now.... from 100- 120 grams al lthye way up to 400+ grams i hjave one of their 400gram leather knobs & the feel is VERY sweet,.... shifting is sorta smoother & "easier" .... the added mass & it's inertia at the end of the shift rod helps smooth out the shift action.

i think it totally makes sense but then again going from a 100gram knob( stock is like 70g i thot :eek: ) to a 400g knob is not going to change your life & or make you more attractive to wimmens

the effect of weight in the knob on shifting, is partially subjective i would say........

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
also on some knobs the amount of "cusion" it gives makes a big difference. I know on the stock shifter i would feel every little ridge in the tranny after i installed the plp shortshifter and shifting hard sometimes would hurt my hand a bit, but once i installed the momo shifter it has a LOT more cushion and my shifts feel a ton smoother and so is my hand.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts