Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is design really all about the amount of $ a car costs or can auto mobile designers just design a car that looks as good as ,say for example the IS. Just simply shape the sheet metal in an esthetically pleasing form. I know manufacturers don't want to price out there upper end cars and it is obvious performance would not be the same but why does lexus's lowest end vehicle look ten times better then say Saturns lowest end vehicle

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I am kinda confused on your question...but yes, processes to make the "shape" of something can play a huge roll in cost if material stays the same...however, the aesthetics don't really come into play for the cost, it's mainly structure and components...and supply and demand for that matter...swing the door on a mercedes S class then swing the door on a civic...huge difference in structure

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
well if saturn was to design a car that looked similar to the IS300, how would it fare? Not well... steel wheels, cheap components, hard angles ont he flastic would make for easy stress points wher ethe body would fail... the list goes on and on... its more than just the lines of the car... Look at the Mazda MP5 wagon. Looks tight, IMO, and is still reasonable.

the target demographic on a cheap car doesn't care about asthetics as much... but even saturn has put effort into their newer designs.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a question I have ponderd for years take a saturn and bend the metal into a sporty design add some wider tires why can't this be done? yes lower end car manufacturers are making things nicer but in the case of the matrix and the vibe and many new examples it just can't compare.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
stcleaner said:
This is a question I have ponderd for years take a saturn and bend the metal into a sporty design add some wider tires why can't this be done? yes lower end car manufacturers are making things nicer but in the case of the matrix and the vibe and many new examples it just can't compare.
people are still buying saturns and the likes...some think they look good...that is why they don't change

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ltunedgirl said:
stcleaner said:
people are still buying saturns and the likes...some think they look good...that is why they don't change
Yes but I think if you ask any saturn owner if they would rather have a lexus, they would say lexus. I hope I'm not confusing you I am only talking about a better look

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
stcleaner
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing