Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on shaving & rolling rear fenders. I have Axis Reverbs
18/8.5 +45 Front & 18/9.5 +55 rear, 235's in the front & 255's in the rear.

I currently have no rubbing issues however I would like to go too a wider tire in the rear 265 or 275.

What are the advantages to a rolling a fender aposed to shaving it?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Looking for some advice on shaving & rolling rear fenders. I have Axis Reverbs
18/8.5 +45 Front & 18/9.5 +55 rear, 235's in the front & 255's in the rear.

I currently have no rubbing issues however I would like to go too a wider tire in the rear 265 or 275.

What are the advantages to a rolling a fender aposed to shaving it?
i have 265 in the rear with no rubbing 265 30 19 with +55

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
i have 265 in the rear with no rubbing 265 30 19 with +55
I have 19x9.5 and 265/30/19 in the rear, shaved, and I still rub. I am dropped about two inches. I don't see how you don't rub... Stock height?

Anyway, i prefer shaving. Much easier to do and you don't have to worry about cracking the paint or warping the fenders. Just apply a nice bead of silicone over the cut and you are good to go!

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
rolling requires a specific tool. You have to heat the paint around the area you are planning on rolling and then pray it doesn't crack during the process. Also dont want to warp fender as phillz stated before. Shaving, you cut the inside part of fender down to give more tire clearence but you have to seal the cut areas back up cause it can cause rust etc etc. Also you DON'T want to cut to much off cause if you cut (close to or on) the weld areas then you can seperate(<<< may not be the best word to use but cant think of a better word right now) part of the fender, if I am correct. Both methods give you more clearence but its really a preference. Use the search and pull up some DIY tutorials and research risks/benefits of each and then choose. Hope this helped at all. If you're having trouble finding DIY's let us know.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I definately prefer rolling. If you use a heat gun and take your time it turns out great. The paint might crack a little, but its out of sight so it really doesn't matter. The panel also retains its strength this way. Also, if something were to happen and you had contact between your fender and tire, rolled is much safer. It won't slice your tire open. Also, if you ever plan to pull the fender at all (even a little bit), you need to roll it. Shaving it will result in a NASTY pull. It'll have more waves than the ocean. 90% of all bad roll jobs are the result of haste.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've done both and screwed them both up not knowing what I was doing...now that I have learned, I do prefer rolling a bit better. It's all about your setup and what you have available to get the job done...and I'm 19/8.5 front/back...

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have IS350s(18x8.5s) in the rear on 255/40s(no rubberbands for me) and I had to cut mine(not stock height) mild drop and still rubbed before cutting. I've rubbed once but only bc i took a turn WAY to hard and a little too fast :confused:

I prefer cutting over rolling

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the replies, Sounds like rolling takes a little more skill & patience than shaving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts