Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it would be possible to put a sharkfin antenna on a 300 lets say something like the new lexus ones are. I want to do that A)to get rid of my crappy looking XM antenna and B) they look neat. :p

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
why not replace your antenna base with the XM box. im sure that the stock antenna base hole cant be that big. but then you wont have local radio. just make sure if you go that route that it can put back to stock for resale purposes

·
Registered
75 Posts
why not replace your antenna base with the XM box. im sure that the stock antenna base hole cant be that big. but then you wont have local radio. just make sure if you go that route that it can put back to stock for resale purposes

If you ended up going this route I know that Crutchfield sells a wire am/fm antenna that you can mount out of site on your back dash. There have been a few people on honda-tech that used it and gave it good reviews.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
I have a VG S/F antenna. Looks good but the reception sucks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
nice

bump

this is a nice look....i want to replace my antenna with something similar too...i know people have replaced the stock antenna with the s2000 antenna but it doesnt like ANYTHING like the fin....lemme know if anyone finds something

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
ebay it. i see them there all the time. its really just a shroud that goes over their antenna piece but i hear the reception blows. hope that helps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have been looking for the same thing... I came across this website: VG Shark Fin Antenna - Home, but I haven't ordered from them yet just because they are a little pricey. I didn't see any pics in the gallery of them on a 1st gen IS, but there is a white 2nd gen in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am wanting one that works with navigation, xm type of thing plus the am/fm. I couldnt really find one from a lexus. They have them on the new lexus I do believe.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I wanted to do the same thing.
From what I understand from loock at a
parts list for the 2nd gen,
the shark fin was listed as a telephone
antenna (for blutooth functions I assume)
and the actual radio antenna seemed to be
hidden in the roof panel and was boosted for
signal strength.

i hope someone can prove me otherwise.
I really want one. ($135. list)

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
always look jdm first! junction produce, under $100:

antenna style

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So CHADO will these get me XM? I guess put simply that is my ultimate goal xm+am/fm.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm pretty sure the shark fin one is non functional. I'm also currently looking for a decent antenna to do GPS, WIFI, and possibly AM/FM.

·
Registered
125 Posts
there's some shark fin antenna on ebay that you can purchase then modify a bit to work in our current setup. All you have to do is cut the power wire from the shark fin and ours and swap them. Then it's direct plug and play. Or theres another one that just cover our current setup but i think the reception is not as good.

·
Registered
125 Posts
there's two types on ebay, one where it replaces your entire antenna (good reception similar to bmw and one where it just remove your antenna twist on and cover the base with the shark fin (poor reception). Both are on ebay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts