Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share since I haven't yet :blush:

I opted to spend a little less on the head unit and not install an LCD though I might install one later. The rears are 5 1/4 Polk Audios with an 8inch sub in the ski pass. I removed the ski-pass plastic and carpeted the edges for a neat look. Carpet flaps protrude into the trunk and lie up against the box. The sub is installed in a .3 cu ft box which is installed in a topless and bottomless box (shell) sized to mount the amp over the hump. I would probably do this a little different the second time around, but it turned out ok. (live and learn) One thing I can say to any of you people out there like me that read and read and read about bypassing the amp, etc..and still have problems...just STOP, look at the little wire block under the kick panel you removed and t-tap there. They are there, I promise! They are in the block that ties into the door panel. :pissed: Damn, took me a while...

Anyway, the JVC KD-BT1 has pretty much everything for a sub-$300 head unit. I wish it had filters, but the amp handles that pretty well, as do the component speaker xovers. I wish I had thought to take a pic of the tweaters. They hang quite nicely from their own wire hooked between the rear pillar panel and the head liner. It leaves no visible wire to speak of, and the angle's great!

This setup sounds really nice. I get clean bass and really clear sounds from the rear. The fronts still need replacing, but that will have to wait...;)

Oh yeah, I hope to use a motherboard USB connector and mount the USB's on custom carbon fiber in the lower din. I think it would look nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hehe, yea...those wires are pretty distracting from the setup...but nice setup...how do you like the sub firing through the ski pass?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hehe, yea...those wires are pretty distracting from the setup...but nice setup...how do you like the sub firing through the ski pass?
You guys are right about the wires. It was around 20 degrees when I installed and I haven't gone back to change things yet. I would really like to fab a new box and hide everything. This box was an experiment and it was made mostly from scraps laying around the garage :lol:Next time I might try fiberglass, seeing as that's such a hot topic :bigSmile:

I was surprised at high good the 8inch sub sounds. With the armrest down, it has a lot cleaner sound. It isn't tremendous as bass goes, but everything is nice and clear and the response is excellent.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the kit Crutchfield sends with the head unit. I like it for the most part. Assembly was easy and everything worked. The mounting brackets are a little flimsy (plastic) but they hold fine once installed.
edit
btw: when using this kit I discarded the trim supplied by JVC for te head unit. It was one or the other, and the black trim looked better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just curious. How does it sound with the middle arm rest up? Also, did you cut any port holes?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just curious. How does it sound with the middle arm rest up? Also, did you cut any port holes?
My sub uses a sealed box, no ports. The actual sub enclosure is 8x6x11 inches approximately. Polk recommended a sealed enclosure, and it does sound impressive, especially for only 8 inches. I have 200 watts pushing it through a bridged channel.

The bass sounds good with the arm rest up. but there is more clarity with it down. I think it will really depend on what kind(s) of music you listen too as to whether you will notice a difference. Music with synthesized bass versus string bass like electric pops and slaps probably will sound much the same either way. I also like the arm rest down because it looks cool :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
My sub uses a sealed box, no ports. The actual sub enclosure is 8x6x11 inches approximately. Polk recommended a sealed enclosure, and it does sound impressive, especially for only 8 inches. I have 200 watts pushing it through a bridged channel.

The bass sounds good with the arm rest up. but there is more clarity with it down. I think it will really depend on what kind(s) of music you listen too as to whether you will notice a difference. Music with synthesized bass versus string bass like electric pops and slaps probably will sound much the same either way. I also like the arm rest down because it looks cool :cool:
Interesting.....I wanted a small sub in my trunk for extra added bass being added to the factory stereo and speakers......this setup looks very appealing if I don't have to cut any holes...I'm definitely going to look into this....my friend is a carpenter and he might be able to do some tweeking.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it is a really good option. One thing I might do if I were to do it over again is buy a smaller (physically) amp. Anybody with basic wood working skills can build a nice box for you. I really hope to redo mine this summer and hide the wires etc, so the trunk looks clean and neat.

Good luck if you do it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts