Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to black out the tail badges (like the GS Sport)or know of a place that can do it or sell it
. If anyone can help please let me know.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Try to buy some of those TAMIYA R/C paint sprays and sand paper (the smoothest surface not the rough surface).
Why the TAMIYA R/C spray paint? It's because they have the best variety of color and their paint tend to stay longer and stronger.

First step:
Use sand paper to create a bit of rough surface all over the badge that you want to paint. Rough surface is require for the paint to be properly "stay" (thus, it'll stay longer) on the badge.

At the back of the badge/emblem, remove the old tape/glue. To completely clean it, I'd suggest the use rubbing alchol (90% solution works best)

Next:
Don't forget to wash the badge throughly w/ warm water and use a very very tiiinyyyy bit of soap that you usually used for washing your dishes, wash everything throughly, very throughly! Don't let a bit of soap stays on!

3rd:
Dry the badge that you want to spray paint. You can use hair dryer or just using natural sunlight for the best result. Dry it very carefully! becareful of dusts and watermarks.

4th:
spray paint it. For the best result, spray the badge with thin layer one at a time.

5th:
Let it dry, I would recommend using natural sunlight dry instead of using hair drier.

6th:
re-attach the emblem to your car!

Hope this helps!

[ April 27, 2001: Message edited by: mystic ]

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mystic,
Thanks dude, I will give it a shot. Sounds like you tried it before? What is a good way to reattach the badges in the exact spot?

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
if you remove badges and try to put them back on, i dont know how good it will stick... might as well buy new badges and try on that...

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by IS300_3.2CLTypeS:
Does anyone know how to black out the tail badges (like the GS Sport)or know of a place that can do it or sell it
"shadow"... ahahha, Sounds like an attempt to either justify the cost, or pump up the horsepower the BLACK badges will contribute

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by s0yb0mb:
Originally posted by IS300_3.2CLTypeS:
[qb]Does anyone know how to black out the tail badges (like the GS Sport)or know of a place that can do it or sell it
"shadow"... ahahha, Sounds like an attempt to either justify the cost, or pump up the horsepower the BLACK badges will contribute
[/QB]
YOU GOT IT... I need to justify my $5000 rims and tires and my $2000 suspension, Oh and the $1000 black lights front and rear. But really It is just to carry this theme of gunmetal rims and black lights on a graphite grey car to the badges
The Horsepower issue will be solved when somebody finally releases a turbo

·
Registered
548 Posts
IS300_3.2CLTypeS:

Yea.. I tried to "shadow"ed all badges before it went RIP. And today, I just finished "shadow"-ing my buddys' IS300.
I did 2 cars today..

To re-attach the emblem/badge you can use either the 3M double sided tape or any other industrial double sided tapes. But, you need to completely clean the area before you put that double sided tape. And oh..., you might want to use rubbing alchol (I used the 90% alchol solution
) to remove the old tape.

REMEMBER: You have to do the old tape clean ups BEFORE you do your painting. So I guess this should be included on the first step 1

DonCorleone:

That's a good idea, infact, it crossed my mind too.
But I don't think it'll work. Because, once you wash the emblem/badge you'll get water on the tape/glue area.

[ April 27, 2001: Message edited by: mystic ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts