Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got lowering springs installed on my car. After the mechanic did a test drive "around the block" the car looked only slightly lower... but after driving back to work I can really notice a difference.

Is there anything to keep in mind after just installing the springs? How long do you usually run before getting an alignment done? How long does it take for the springs to achieve their minimum ride height?

What's on my mind right now is that my driveway is at an angle... so one end of the car would likely have more weight on it than the other. Should I alternate the way I park to try and even out the loads on the springs while they are settling? Or will the springs all settle to the correct height regardless of what weight is on each corner of the car?

·
Registered
962 Posts
i think the general rule of thumb i heard from people was usually a couple weeks.

i know on mine it would settle in a couple days after i do a height adjustment.

couple of weeks till getting an alignment wouldn't hurt.

i still have yet to do an alignment on mine, but that's because i'm still tracking straight with no pulling to either side, my camber on the other hand is another story as that definitely needs some help. it doesn't help i have changed my ride height 4 times in the 6 months i've had my coilovers on.

realisticly with the mild drop that the pro-kits have you don't have to worry about abnormal camber, and depending on how they took apart your suspension the factory adjustment points might not have even been touched.

as for the driveway being on an angle, it's not even an issue. the "settling" happens when your suspension is going through it's motions while moving as it "sets" it into its final rest spot on the spring perches.

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
from my personal experience. It settles after 3 to 4 weeks and full settles in 3 months.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
after that full settle of 3 months, your shocks will be toast. You'll probably have no low speed dampening.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got mine installed last summer. I was going to wait 4 weeks before alignment but did it in week 5 as a holiday got in the way.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Hey Crestor, how low does your look now? Mine has 1.5 fingers in the front, and .5 finger in the back (I have a 12" sub + amp in trunk @ all times). BTW, I waited 2 weeks before going to Bullock for my alignment. It's been 3 months, and my stock shock is ok for now. We'll see how long the stockies last.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts