Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my car in for some service yesterday and got to talking about forced induction with the service manage. I mentioned how Toyota's ECU's are very difficult, if not impossible, for the aftermarket community to hack and mess with the stock fuel maps and whatnot. And that because of this, the costs of forced induction are higher due to the fact that we must use some type of standalone engine management such as the Tec3, eManage, or Haltech.

He pretty much said that was all B.S. and that it was easy for anybody with a laptop and a little computer knowledge to adjust, reflash, and change the stock ECU settings to work with forced induction.

I told him that if this were the case it would have been done already on our cars. And that none of the widely known tuners for the IS in the USA have succesfully done this.

He also said there were numerous performance chips for the ECU in our cars available in Japan.

I want to believe him, but I don't.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
you're last statement pretty much says it all and you're correct to not believe it.

he's incorrect. Only person that has the ecu hacked is RegReimer at monsterhorsepower.com and you'd have to be local to him to get it. tell the mechanic he should come out w/ a kit if it's so easy and sell it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
hes probably talking about reflashing ECUs for car specific factory specs. usually done when dealers replace ECUs

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
That would be great if we could find a way to use the stock ecu for boost and just be able to open map the whole thing.. hmmm..

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Myis300t said:
That would be great if we could find a way to use the stock ecu for boost and just be able to open map the whole thing.. hmmm..

That'd be similar to the DSM-link program DSMers have. It's nuts. If you don't know about DSM-link, it's basically an entire EMS and you just plug your laptop in through the OBD port, or comm port I believe. You can adjust timing, see knock, see engine/car speed, temperatures, adjust fuel maps, timing maps, set an anti-lag lauch (holds car at certain RPM while building boost in neutral).

Also, it's only about 50-150 to get setup and installed. You can also upload your log file to their DSM forums and people will tell you where to adjust and whatnot.

I WISH they would come out with something like this for our cars, it'd be insane.

To clarify, DSM-link is a EPROM flash setup to work with the stock ecu.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
IS_Dude said:
you're last statement pretty much says it all and you're correct to not believe it.

he's incorrect. Only person that has the ecu hacked is RegReimer at monsterhorsepower.com and you'd have to be local to him to get it. tell the mechanic he should come out w/ a kit if it's so easy and sell it.

black86 and I was tempted during the summer to take a roadtrip all the way to canada for him to hack into our ecu lolol =]

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
FourT6and2 said:
He also said there were numerous performance chips for the ECU in our cars available in Japan.

I want to believe him, but I don't.
Lots of IS300 floating around in the Land of the Rising Sun.

You should have kicked that jackass in the choad.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I work for Toyota Service Dept, and im actually a manager there.
Let me tell you that just about everyone there knows "NOTHING" about aftermarket items or modifications outside the "BGB's."

Thankfully i started out with modifications to my 1991 MR2 turbo and then became involved with a dealership to better extend my knowledge at the time for cars and how they operate.
I landed a job there with tons of aftermarket knowledge and almost cried to myself listening to people in a dealership talk about "hooking up or modifing" cars.

Anyways, long story short, the manager at your local lexus is sadly mistaken. Your right not to believe him as others have said and you knew.

Hahaha always be skeptic man.
Later,
Bobby

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
IS_Dude said:

Are you saying this guy Regreimer was able to hack into the IS300 ECU for boost applications?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
revhard said:
Are you saying this guy Regreimer was able to hack into the IS300 ECU for boost applications?
this dude did it for na and had some awesome na times for minimal mods.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Turbo18psi said:
I work for Toyota Service Dept, and im actually a manager there.
Let me tell you that just about everyone there knows "NOTHING" about aftermarket items or modifications outside the "BGB's."

Thankfully i started out with modifications to my 1991 MR2 turbo and then became involved with a dealership to better extend my knowledge at the time for cars and how they operate.
I landed a job there with tons of aftermarket knowledge and almost cried to myself listening to people in a dealership talk about "hooking up or modifing" cars.

Anyways, long story short, the manager at your local lexus is sadly mistaken. Your right not to believe him as others have said and you knew.

Hahaha always be skeptic man.
Later,
Bobby
But it still is possible. As mentioned, Reg Reimer has done it. The fact that it has been done means that it can be done again.

Do you have access to all of the tools? I'm sure that there are people that can figure this out if they have access to everything. Any electrical or computer engineers with reverse engineering experience in Maryland?

·
Registered
554 Posts
azzurro said:
But it still is possible. As mentioned, Reg Reimer has done it. The fact that it has been done means that it can be done again.

Do you have access to all of the tools? I'm sure that there are people that can figure this out if they have access to everything. Any electrical or computer engineers with reverse engineering experience in Maryland?

True. However; im stating that most people in the "job" do not have aftermarket experience in the "OEM FACTORY" world. Haha.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Turbo18psi said:
True. However; im stating that most people in the "job" do not have aftermarket experience in the "OEM FACTORY" world. Haha.
I'm not disagreeing there. I understood your point... all I'm saying is that you should try and find some people to try and work on the ECU ;)

·
Registered
554 Posts
azzurro said:
I'm not disagreeing there. I understood your point... all I'm saying is that you should try and find some people to try and work on the ECU ;)
Haha, good luck!
Why waste time though? There are systems so advanced that are mind boggling now that it is pointless really... although i would like to get rid of my revlimiter and speed limiter on my 05 is300.. Anyone know how?

Thanks,
Bobby

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
IS_Dude said:

Hirun said:
black86 and I was tempted during the summer to take a roadtrip all the way to canada for him to hack into our ecu lolol =]
we may not need to do a road trip, but i hope we'll come out with the same results ;) hirun, throw that s/c away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts