Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so first i had this minor issue which is no big deal and doesnt need fixing cause i like it, the steering wheel would not turn back automaticaly to the striaght position like its suposed to, when im turning it would stay a quarter of a turn from being straight so i would have to straighten the wheel my self to go straight. this is no problem to me, i like it actualy.. but the main problem is now it Squeeks like crazy while im turning the steering wheel only, it kinda of sounds like nails on chalk board but more deep and automotive sounding... it has never done this befor, i jus got this car not to long ago and it has 109,000kms on it.

hoping someone had the exact same problem so we can diagnose this issue. i thought i heard the queek when going over slight bumps once. but im not quite sure, usualy on speed bumps it wouldnt make this noise.. this problem has gotten worse after i lowered the car.. any help would be great

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is realy weird, i drove around quite some bit today and heard no creeking noise at all. maybe a tiny bit as i was leaving the drive way.. i noticed yesterday was raining and today was nice and sunny. i also checked the fluid and its not low, starting to think if water is a part of this creeking noise.

·
Registered
355 Posts
mine did the same thing...I called my cousin ( Lexus tech) said it could be the power steering pump or low on fluid. I did check and I was low. I refilled it and still made that noise. He took it in at his work and first did a power steering fluid flush and the noise went away. Im glad it wasnt the pump otherwise thatll cost $$

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since I've been checking out these forums for the last few days trying to figure out what was wrong with my is300, thought I'd share my solution.

Suddenly a week ago my steering wheel was making a loud noise when I would turn it either way and also make noise while going over bumps. When my mechanic raised it off the ground and turn the wheels the noise stopped. At first he thought shocks, then ball joints but then decided to change my front sway bar links. PROBLEM SOLVED. Not only did the noise stop but my steering wheel feels more "solid" now.

PS

For a while there was a slight noise coming from the steering wheel but chalked it up to a car with 110k miles on it. I think it was more a sign of worn front sway bar links now because that noise is gone too.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had the EXACT same symptoms. The steering wheel failing to adjust itself back to center after turns, the nails-on-chalkboard-sounds that got worse but lessened when the weather was right. It's your ball joints. Not your fluids or belts. Your balljoints most definitely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update. Car was still making noise and had to replace ball joints as well. Mechanic tried to get me to replace the shocks too but told him next time. Car's front end is as good as new now. Probably does need shocks too but it will wait. Car is quiet now and feels solid.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My steering wheel is making a squeaking sound as well now for the past few days when I turn it

·
8,827 Posts
My steering wheel is making a squeaking sound as well now for the past few days when I turn it
Let me guess, it started happening as soon as cold temp hit.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Everyone says to lube up where the steering shaft goes through the firewall, under the dash you can see there is a rubber sleeve the shaft goes through. Others have had success using silicone spray on that junction, but I've used about 2 cans of spray, even shoving the straw down between the rubber and shaft and spraying while turning the wheel back and forth.

Mine sure sounds like it's up where the steering wheel meets the plastic coming off the dash, but I've (carefully) lubed that up too and mine squeaks like crazy when it's cold. You can do a search and find a couple threads that have pics of the point to lube.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.