Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided against an IS300 when I bought my new car last year but I still visit this site once and again to keep up with the news--I actually had quite afew posts before the switch-over that lost my profile!

Anyways, to the point of the post.

Just reading through the posts today I have read some issues that members have had that are incredibly serious. While some of these are not always reproducible, these really need to be addressed as some of these could be potentially life threatening!

Reading over the posts just on the first page I have come up with the following issues that have been raised:

Undercarriage falling off
Tires bubbling
Alloy wheels bending
Stalling at inopportune times and places
Inability to stop car/slow engine
Transmission not holding gears
Steering wobble
And the broader "ECU/trac" problem that theoretically encompasses some of the above

Now, to me these things happening (and many of these will continue to happen) is completely unacceptable from a new car, especially a Lexus. What you all might consider doing is putting together a member list that has everyone fill out whether or not they have experienced some of the problems mentioned above. This way if they receive a document that 25 people are having the stalling problem etc. it is no longer a non-reproducible event.

Please don't think I am in any way flaming the IS300--if anything I am flaming Lexus. I am a car enthusiast and I would love to see these problems fixed-some of them which are very dangerous. But, I think that the only way they are going to be addressed correctly is if you pool together your resources from this board and have somebody take them to Lexus in person. It is a shame to hear some of these problems, many of which seem so outrageous, especially from a Lexus.

Good luck. I know if I was dealing with these problems I would be drumming up as much support as possible and presenting this info. to Lexus so I could get what I paid for. Alternatively, the car would be sold ASAP. Not being able to stop is a big problem.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Actually, Lexus has been very responsive in dealing with the problems a few IS owners have experienced...some individual dealers more than others, but that is to be expected. The ECU/Trac update took some time to reach dealers simply because it involved the distribution of parts (not immediately available) to each Lexus store.
If ZMAN is suggesting some kind of "class action" lawsuit, I would just remind him that the IS300 is the first-model-year of a new design (i.e. glitches should be expected) and it has manifested only a few "problems," none of them approaching the level of "life threatening."
I'd imagine a survey of IS owners posting on this forum would find overwhelming support for the car overall.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sorry, but some of these problems ARE life threatening. My car started spitting, and died in traffic; imagine if a semi or some driver going way too fast had been behind me. Im sure the owners with the tranny hesistation would consider their issue life-threatening also, since they cant even safely merge into traffic.

I agree that glitches are to be expected in a first year car, but some of the things Ive read here ARE serious. My problem was serious enough that they had to replace mine. I wasnt willing to take any more chances though, so I got rid of it. Hopefully next year's model will free of problems, major or minor.

Originally posted by Leader:
and it has manifested only a few "problems," none of them approaching the level of "life threatening."

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have to agree with ZMAN's general point of concern with various defects occurring with a good many of the IS's. The visitors of this website only represent a fraction of the IS owners nationwide but yet we hear, with amazing regularity, reports of the same problems with the IS.

Granted, most of these problems usually aren't considered to be life threatening on the surface. But I invite anyone to get in an IS and experience their undercarriage shield falling off at 80+ mph. After the adrenaline stops flowing, a reasonable person could understand how this problem could endanger not only the IS owner but other drivers on the road.

Even though the IS is technically not a 1st year production car (Alteeza in Japan), 1st year model problems can be expected from any manufacturer. What amazes me the most is that Lexus, with their high customer service reputation, has failed to recall or ask that owners come into their service departments for repairs. It appears to me from reading these forums that the ECU and the undercarriage problem affect a large number of the IS's and are certainly "defects" that Lexus would not want their customers to live with.

Not being able to stop is life threatening and anyone who is experiencing that problem needs to get their car in to get looked at immediately. But, other than the one thread posted recently, I have not heard this problem reported at all.

I think one of the best forms of protection in cases like these is this website. By exchanging information and posting problems everyone stays informed. Using the information from this site allows IS owners to intelligently discuss these problems with their dealer if needed. Had it not been for this website, I would have thought that the ECU problem was something unique to my car....that is, had I known what an ECU is.

I love my IS and have no regrets on my purchase of the car. I'm not naive enough to think that the car is perfect. But I sure wish Lexus would be more aggressive in addressing these problem areas that appear to be widespread.

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: accelr8 ]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NO, I'm not suggesting a class action lawsuit. There is a reasonable chain of command to go through before that becomes necessary. I'm just suggesting for the good of all IS300 owners that some of these more important issues be brought to the attention of Lexus in a more formal and concerted effort.

Remember, the people on this board represent only a small fraction of the overall IS300 owners out there. Sadly enough the vast majority of IS300 owners out there have no ideas about any of these problems or their possible fixes. They may be simply experiencing these things blindly and this may be dangerous.

In terms of life-threatening..I would surely use that word if I were writing to Lexus. You cannot tell me that a car stalling, losing power, slipping gears or not reducing power on braking are not life-threatening. Would you not get your car fixed immediately if it had any of these symptoms? Plus, if they are intermittent they might never be PROVEN at the dealership. For that reason I suggested a more formal contacting of Lexus to let them know of these problems and that while they may be isolated incidents at individual dealers, that they are by no means isolated events.

I think a lot of people are hesitant to take a car to the dealer when something intermittent happens b/c we've all heard the song and dance about if you can't reproduce it they can't fix it. Thus, most people can't waste the time and spend their lives trying to prove some phantom problem to their dealer. At some point the car company should help out.

So, in short all I'm saying is that a site like this is a great way to put together a serious correspondence to Lexus with a lot of signatures on it. In terms of Lexus being very receptive to individual concerns and taking care of them---well, let's just say that these issues are why I did not by the IS300 and many of them have been going on since I first visited this site about a year ago. In this day and age being a first-year production car is no excuse for some of these flaws, especially not at 30K+. Furthermore, as mentioned earlier most of these parts are not new and have been used on other production cars and thus should not be experiencing these serious mechanical problems. To me first year prodcution flaws should be fit and finish and a loose bolt here or there.

·
Registered
816 Posts
ZMAN, to tell you the truth none of the problems I've had ever approached "life threatening." They were at most, annoyances.

Being that most people here (even those of us who are discussing the actual problems) have still expressed fondness for their IS's, I don't think I would be going on much of a limb to presume that this is the case for most people too. If they felt their car was at all dangerous, I don't think the love would still be there.

Of course, those current owners of the IS300 who do feel that it has been at times dangerous, absolutely feel free to make it known here.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had one life threatening event. My TRAC engaged and I was literally stuck in 70mph traffic at 10mph...whew. I guess Ill be getting the flash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts