Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm selling a mint condition M22 differential (auto IS300, 1st Gen, 3'5 ratio)
Has no shafts but it has the cups, never drifted and it's in really good shape.
Price: 500€
I'm located in Spain but can ship worldwide at buyers expense.
IMG_20200820_182021.jpg IMG_20200822_021504.jpg IMG_20200822_021418.jpg

·
3,388 Posts
I have not seen a stock diff housing with fines. You say this is a stock diff out of an IS300/IS200. How common is that housing? Has anyone else seen these?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not seen a stock diff housing with fines. You say this is a stock diff out of an IS300/IS200. How common is that housing? Has anyone else seen these?
Hi, first of all I gotta say that I've fluent English eventhough I'm Spaniard but I don't get the meaning of "fines". And about the housing I don't understand your doubt, this diff, the M22 is common in Europe and Australia but not the most known.

·
3,388 Posts
Diff + differential.
Fines + the rib that are on the bottom.

I have seen hundreds of differentials from Australia and Europe. But none like this. I have seen one out of a Supra like that. But they do not just bolt up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diff + differential.
Fines + the rib that are on the bottom.

I have seen hundreds of differentials from Australia and Europe. But none like this. I have seen one out of a Supra like that. But they do not just bolt up.
I've a friend of mine that once sold the same diff and came out of the same model, auto is300, I've researched of this diff and the housing is the most common,the one used on the non LSD and LSD IS , that's until I'm concerned.
I'm talking about the first gen IS300 (haven't mentioned that earlier)

·
3,388 Posts
I've a friend of mine that once sold the same diff and came out of the same model, auto is300, I've researched of this diff and the housing is the most common,the one used on the non LSD and LSD IS , that's until I'm concerned.
I'm talking about the first gen IS300 (haven't mentioned that earlier)
Here is a IS300 Diff that I am use to seeing in the first gen.
See the difference in looks?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a IS300 Diff that I am use to seeing in the first gen.
See the difference in looks?
Sorry to say that I can't find the differences buddy😅

·
3,388 Posts
The one I posted if you look at the pictures has no ribs on the bottom. The one you have posted does. Look at the pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one I posted if you look at the pictures has no ribs on the bottom. The one you have posted does. Look at the pictures.
Okay now I got it, I thought all the pics where of the top of the diff, I've seen videos where they were talking about the gt86 diff and the is300 diff and on a video they said that on the interior the were the same but on the exterior, the difference where the ribs that you're saying, which theoretically help cooling

·
3,388 Posts
Okay now I got it, I thought all the pics where of the top of the diff, I've seen videos where they were talking about the gt86 diff and the is300 diff and on a video they said that on the interior the were the same but on the exterior, the difference where the ribs that you're saying, which theoretically help cooling
All the GT86 are the same as the IS300. Except for the support bushings on the pinion area. The "fines or ribs" they are referring to are on aftermarket rear covers.
Yours has them cast in the main housing. That is why I am asking. I have looked on European Ebay and Australia. Never seen the style you have in your pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All the GT86 are the same as the IS300. Except for the support bushings on the pinion area. The "fines or ribs" they are referring to are on aftermarket rear covers.
Yours has them cast in the main housing. That is why I am asking. I have looked on European Ebay and Australia. Never seen the style you have in your pictures.
If you look at the code M22 on Google you'll find more pics of my diff, also the diff on the is200 has the same design, take a look ok Google about the M58 diff, same design.
If I'm not wrong the function of the design is to cool the oil

·
Registered
712 Posts
I’ve heard of this ratio..the 3.54, pretty common overseas in S300 but not here in USA. I’ve got a 3.58 in mine from a 90’s Tacoma. Good boost gears, really load the turbo up quickly. The diff housing looks pretty similar to a JZA70, the front mounting ears are a bit dissimilar but otherwise same.

I’d hate to see what that pig would cost to ship overseas. I know what I paid to get a spare shipped across the US, not cheap!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve heard of this ratio..the 3.54, pretty common overseas in S300 but not here in USA. I’ve got a 3.58 in mine from a 90’s Tacoma. Good boost gears, really load the turbo up quickly. The diff housing looks pretty similar to a JZA70, the front mounting ears are a bit dissimilar but otherwise same.

I’d hate to see what that pig would cost to ship overseas. I know what I paid to get a spare shipped across the US, not cheap!
Now that you're talking about your diff, as you said it came out of a Tacoma, you mean that the whole diff, the diff housing fits straight away on the is300 chassis? I would like to know the compatibility of diffs on the is300, because in Spain no one wants this diff for the is200, which is the common model and the is300 is really weird so is really useful to me knowing the compatibility for other chasis, if I'm not wrong it fits directly on the GT86/BRZ, is250 and maybe mk3 supra.
Btw I've made a lil bit of research and the shipping to US (California ) is such a rip-off, it's about 200-300 eur, that's half the price of the diff

·
Registered
712 Posts
Tacoma, you mean that the whole diff, the diff housing fits straight away on the is300 chassis?
Hi, sorry I wasn’t clear. I meant the ring and pinion gears came from the Tacoma, but they are inside the IS300 housing. The 3.58 gearset is the “tallest” ratio that’ll fit the stock IS300 diff. Any lower ratio requires the offset Toyota diff like from a GS400, MKIV Supra - custom mounting and offset axles.

You’re correct, it should fit MK3 Supra, IS300 1G, IS250 RWD and 09 AWD, BRZ/FRS, maybe others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 3.58 ratio is quite long for a stock is300 but I guess you're running some boost for enjoying that ratio

·
Registered
712 Posts
The 3.58 ratio is quite long for a stock is300 but I guess you're running some boost for enjoying that ratio
Yessir about 19psi on pump 91 fuel thru a BW s362sxe, GSC cams, ID1050 injectors. Need to get my flex tables tuned sometime. The AR5 transmission helps with gearing as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
01 SolarYellow
"I have not seen a stock diff housing with fines. You say this is a stock diff out of an IS300/IS200. How common is that housing? Has anyone else seen these?"

Pabolohu, I believe 01 SolarYellow is referring to the raised heat-sink fins located on the bottom of the differential, which assist in cooling the differential / fluid. The "gaps" allow cooler air to pass between each to aid in dissipating the heat. Some aftermarket trans pans even have cooling tubes that allow cooler air to pass inside the pan to cool the fluid. Similar to heat-sink fins located on a radio amplifiers or computer processor heat-sink located beneath the cooling fan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
01 SolarYellow
"I have not seen a stock diff housing with fines. You say this is a stock diff out of an IS300/IS200. How common is that housing? Has anyone else seen these?"

Pabolohu, I believe 01 SolarYellow is referring to the raised heat-sink fins located on the bottom of the differential, which assist in cooling the differential / fluid. The "gaps" allow cooler air to pass between each to aid in dissipating the heat. Some aftermarket trans pans even have cooling tubes that allow cooler air to pass inside the pan to cool the fluid. Similar to heat-sink fins located on a radio amplifiers or computer processor heat-sink located beneath the cooling fan.
Till where I'm concerned, all the diffs of the IS200s and IS300s I've seen in Spain had this fines in the diff housing such in open diffs as in Torsen diffs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts