Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I ceased my rear oem brake caliper. Going to order a new one tomorrow. Wondering if anyone knows how much its going to cost.

thanks

densone

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
what were you doing to cease the caliper? Just curious, it had to overheat quite a bit.

Power braking?

Reactions: IS-F-I-Found

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Carpe Diem, cease the day, and post some pics.

I edited the title this morning, to save this guy some grief, little did I know he was a repeat offender. :lol:

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Carpe Diem, cease the day, and post some pics.

I edited the title this morning, to save this guy some grief, little did I know he was a repeat offender. :lol:
I always use never-cease on bolts when they are used on things that may get hot.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I just bought a tube of copper anti-cease at NAPA when I changed my plugs in my VW.

If you don't apply some when installing, it will be rough seize ahead when you try to take them out.

Reactions: bartkat

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
*sigh* now he's never going to tell us what happened.

oh well,

It's sunny out so I'm going to go and cease the day

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I was going to import some JDM calipers to fix this problem, but US customs ceased them at the border.

Guy can't catch a brake these days!

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I dunno. My Firebird needed rear brakes at 100,000 miles and the fronts were still ok. What's up with that? I never had them cease though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok Heres what I did

I live in Bos and tried to Drive my IS350 in the snow a lot. Ended up wearing out the breaks from getting stuck in the snow and trying to get out. Gas/Brake/Gas/Brake. I ended up buying a Jeep and threw Lexus in my garage for a few months.

Took my IS out for a ride when the snow melted and noticed it needed rear pads, so I ordered them from Iron Toad, along with new Rotors. I get everything off, and the rear right caliper looks beat(gaskets , shims are bent). I get the pads and shims loaded up and go to get everything back on and find that the guide pin is ceased and I cant get the new pads over the new rotor.

I order a new right caliper, but before hand, I check the left caliper. Visibly, it looks in way better shape than the right one. I am guessing because of slippage, the right tire was spinning a lot more in the snow.

I install the caliper on the right side, bleed, get everything on. MINT!

Now, I go to the left tire. Get the caliper off. Same DAMN! issue. The guide pin is ceased. This time I am pissed, and decide not to order a new caliper. I get some mystery oil and soak the caliper (guide pin end for 2 days. Still no go. Drill a hole where guide pin is and soak another day. NO GO!

I finally give in and just order a new caliper. Total cost for everything.

Rotors: $400
Calipers: $560
Pads/Shims: $110

Don't abuse your IS350 like I do. :) Anyone want these calipers? haha. I will take pics and post. Sorry for the late reply, I don't get emails from this site when people respond to my threads.

/densone

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
wouldn't the seizing of a brake caliper be covered under warranty? I understand that the pads aren't covered, but I would suspect your caliper shouldn't have siezed this early on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts