Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok
So I know somebody knows the answer to this one...I have a Sportcross and want to put some Graphite rims on it ....these are next to impossible to find... so how bad would it be to put a set of sedan wheels on the 'cross??
I know there is .5" difference but is that it? or am I missing something?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Should work fine. The 7" wide wheels have a 50 mm offset and the 7.5s have a 55. It has been reported that you can run 225s on a four corners on the sedan with the stock wheels and not have any rubbing problems. So you should be fine there. The min rim width for the 225 is 7" so you are still within the spec.

The main reason for the wider wheels on the back of the SportCross is for the wider tire. The wider 225 tire is needed because the weight rating is higher than on the 215 tire. The engineers expected the car to be loaded down at times in the rear and the rear weighs more than the sedan to begin with so they needed a tire that had a higher weight rating (about 120 lbs more).

A narrower wheels in back with a 225 tire should take out some initial push on turn in. You should also get a slightly smoother ride. The downside will be more sidewall flex at higher cornering loads; more air pressure in the rear could help here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great info,
now to show my ignorance ...with the offsets being different will the tires sit in the same place under the fender visually??? I would hate to get them and then find they look like a 72 Pinto as they are further in the wheel wells!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Offset is the distance from the mounting surface from the centerline for the wheel. Therefore, the distance from the mounting surface to the the outside edge of the 7.5" stockers would be ((7.5inX25.4mm/in)/2)-55mm=40.25mm. For the 7" stockers, this would be ((7inX25.4mm/in)/2)-50mm=38.9mm. This means the edge of the 7" would be 1.35mm further tucked in than the 7.5" in the rear. This is less than 1/16 of an inch difference. Go with 225/45/17s for summer tires, 205/50/17 for winter tires so you get the right load rating and can rotate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Attn: Simont

I joined this forum hoping to find a nice set of IS300 wheels and would prefer the 7.5" wheel for the rear of my car. If you decide to sell your wheels please respond to this post. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
SportCross 17" wheels

To FLMR2

I saw your post - I'm switching my stock 17" alloys with RE 040's (14K on the car) - if you're interested in them (the rims are perfect - 7" front, 7.5 back) we should talk. You can email me at [email protected].

thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.